7 Posts

Hellboy: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Special encounter rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vladimir Fedorov
msg tools
mb
Hey y'all. Played a couple of cases recently and stumbled upon a question that we've not found answers on this here forum or in faq yet.
When you explore a room and encounter has special rules (like Falling Masonry! Each agent is immediately stunned, and targeted by a melee attack with an attack value of 4) do these rules apply to every character entering the room each time they do so? If my character entered, suffered the damage, left the room, and then had to re-enter, do they have to defend again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes unless the card itself has a condition for when it no longer applies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cordova
TN
flag msg tools
mb
I don't have the rulebook in front of me right now, but as far as I understand the ambush effect on cards (like Falling Masonry) triggers when the room is revealed and never after that. Other will say specifically that as long as you're in the room, a persistent effect applies (like getting downgrades on shoot actions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Perkins
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
agreed - when the card is flipped, it says "immediately" and does not indicate any recurring trigger on re entry/later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coincidentally, just ran into this card right now while playing!

Text reads: FALLING MASONRY: Each agent is immediately stunned and targeted by a melee attack with an attack value of 4.

Since this card was flipped via an Explore action, none of my agents were in the room with the card. However, it doesn’t specifically say that room - or any room - just that all agents are affected by the card immediately (thematically I took it to mean that the act of opening the door caused the loose masonry above the agents to fall). So they all were stunned and then took a defense roll against the 4 attack. Then the encounter card was discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reemer wrote:

Since this card was flipped via an Explore action, none of my agents were in the room with the card. However, it doesn’t specifically say that room - or ny room - just that all agents are affected by the card immediately (thematically I took it to mean that the act of opening the door caused the loose masonry above the agents to fall). So they all were stunned and then took a defense roll against the 4 attack. Then the encounter card was discarded.

That makes the most sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
reemer wrote:

Since this card was flipped via an Explore action, none of my agents were in the room with the card. However, it doesn’t specifically say that room - or ny room - just that all agents are affected by the card immediately (thematically I took it to mean that the act of opening the door caused the loose masonry above the agents to fall). So they all were stunned and then took a defense roll against the 4 attack. Then the encounter card was discarded.

That makes the most sense to me.

Yup, that's exactly how I would play it as well.

1. Populate the tile as directed.
2. All Agents, regardless of proximity to the newly explored room, are Stunned and laid down on their side.
3. Each Agent makes a separate defense roll against an attack value of 4.
4. Play (Agent Phase) continues as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.