Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rene Wiersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
This is not a game we play often as my regular playing partner for 2-player games, my girlfriend Marieke, prefers "Lost Cities". She didn't like this game much the first time we played it, but after much begging she agreed to play it for a second time. This time I played the good guys and she the bad guys.

Marieke started by moving a piece into Moria. Pippin took a peek and revealed it to be the Balrog. Not quite a surprise. I had hoped to draw the Balrog out of Moria and surprise him with Aragorn, but Marieke was more clever than that.

Her Orc started making short work of my right flank, which was ill-prepared against the Orc's special ability and I was barely able to get Frodo out of Hobbiton in time.

Gandalf won some skirmishes on my left flank in the mountains. Then I took a chance and moved Sam a space foward, leaving Frodo behind. Marieke guessed correctly that I had left Frodo behind and dropped the Nazgul on his poor head. Stupidly, I had set it up so that Frodo couldn't retreat using his special ability. Therefore I played the retreat card, but Marieke anticipated just that and played the card that cancels out my textcards, which won her the game.

I think LotR: Confrontation is a clever little game, but it probably takes some time getting used to all the special abilities of the characters and the special cards to be able to define a good strategy and play well. This seems even more true for the light side, which has to rely more on tricks and stealth than the dark side, which simply has more brute power.

Fortunately, Marieke liked the game a little better than the first time around, so I have good hopes it will see more play in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.