Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Please help with ranged and spells attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chadwick
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I have CoA, FT, and FF; just started, having a blast but confused about one thing.

How does range and spells work? I get the range and shots part. However, is the combat of 2 portion of the character sheet in play when casting a spell or using a pistol? Or is it only the range "to hit" in play after I roll two 2d8 for the shotgun (for example)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A starting gear shotgun has 5 range and 1 shot (5-1). If you use the US Marshall to fire it roll one D8 and hits it on 4-8, or a Critical Hit on 6-8. If he hits the shotgun he chooses a target up to five spaces away and does D8 damage minus the defence of the enemy if it was not a Critical Hit. If the US Marshall kills an enemy with his one shot he earns Experience (XP), and may fire again due to his special ability, but only once each turn.

With the Sorceress pay two Mana to cast an Elemental Blast Spell. This Spell needs no 2D6 to cast like other spells. She then rolls a D6 and hits on 4-6, with a critical hit on a 6. Choose a target within range and do D3 hits to it, each one doing D6 Damage minus the target’s defence (unless it was a Critical Hit).

With other spells pay the mana cost and roll two D6 dice if they total the casting number on the spell card (9+ Means nine or more on two dice) it is cast and it’s effects take place. It you roll too low and she has spare Mana you may spend the Mana one at a time to roll an extra die, using the two high tea dice as the casting dice. If the casting dice are doubles and the spell has a Tentacle icon she needs to make a Corruption Hit. If she rolls 1-3 she gets one Corruption marker, if 4-6 (as her Willpower is 4+) she avoid this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Why
msg tools
Boglwe wrote:
I have CoA, FT, and FF; just started, having a blast but confused about one thing.

How does range and spells work? I get the range and shots part. However, is the combat of 2 portion of the character sheet in play when casting a spell or using a pistol? Or is it only the range "to hit" in play after I roll two 2d8 for the shotgun (for example)?

Combat is ONLY used when making a melee attack with melee weapons (or empty fists).

When making a ranged attack, you use the Shots of the weapon instead.

For spells, the spell card should tell you what you need to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
That's a great way of explaining it. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Philip Jelley wrote:
A starting gear shotgun has 5 range and 1 shot (5-1). If you use the US Marshall to fire it roll one D8 and hits it on 4-8, or a Critical Hit on 6-8. If he hits the shotgun he chooses a target up to five spaces away and does D8 damage minus the defence of the enemy if it was not a Critical Hit. If the US Marshall kills an enemy with his one shot he earns Experience (XP), and may fire again due to his special ability, but only once each turn.

With the Sorceress pay two Mana to cast an Elemental Blast Spell. This Spell needs no 2D6 to cast like other spells. She then rolls a D6 and hits on 4-6, with a critical hit on a 6. Choose a target within range and do D3 hits to it, each one doing D6 Damage minus the target’s defence (unless it was a Critical Hit).

With other spells pay the mana cost and roll two D6 dice if they total the casting number on the spell card (9+ Means nine or more on two dice) it is cast and it’s effects take place. It you roll too low and she has spare Mana you may spend the Mana one at a time to roll an extra die, using the two high tea dice as the casting dice. If the casting dice are doubles and the spell has a Tentacle icon she needs to make a Corruption Hit. If she rolls 1-3 she gets one Corruption marker, if 4-6 (as her Willpower is 4+) she avoid this.

Perfectly amazing explanation. I was doing so much wrong. Almost all of it wording (keywords)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls