Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Schuette
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Miss_Meeple wrote:
The real retail selling will start between Essen and Christmas.

Derek, you are right, in this position we are choosing not to lose the important presence at Essen.
We noticed that many backers did not care much about the exclusive period, but I understand some of you do. We couldn't keep our promises and it is our fault, but in this situation Essen is crucial for our business, that is why I wrote "we cannot" and that is why we are making this decision at company level, even if it makes us look bad.

S.

Those words read like music to me. Thank you.

Some of the recent updates from Cranio have been exceedingly defensive and a number of the issues that have come about in communications has been (at least, from my point of view) an inability for Cranio to be up front about mistakes and issues that have come up during the campaign. I'm in a line of work where delays, vendor issues, and cost overruns happen more frequently than I'd care to admit. It's why I feel like I'm more forgiving of the delays and component issues than some of the other posters here.

However, my clients do not appreciate it when someone on my end comes off like they are shirking responsibility, blaming someone else for a problem without taking action, or giving the client the silent treatment. I've had to make a number of phone calls and lunch meetings with clients where I had to apologize and admit a mistake was made, even if I'm not the one responsible for that issue. By showing contrition and meaning it, my clients appreciate that I am being honest with them and they will trust me going forward. It's one way I maintain relationships.

I sincerely hope that you continue with this point of view and attitude in terms of rebuilding the positive attitude most of us once had in this KS community. You might not win everyone over, but it at least will assuage a number of the worries and get this campaign back on track. We all want this game to succeed beyond our expectations at the end of the day. A nice step in the right direction will be to rebuild some of the lost trust. Here's hoping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outshined_One wrote:
Miss_Meeple wrote:

Derek, you are right, in this position we are choosing not to lose the important presence at Essen.
We noticed that many backers did not care much about the exclusive period, but I understand some of you do. We couldn't keep our promises and it is our fault, but in this situation Essen is crucial for our business, that is why I wrote "we cannot" and that is why we are making this decision at company level, even if it makes us look bad.

S.

Those words read like music to me. Thank you.

Some of the recent updates from Cranio have been exceedingly defensive and a number of the issues that have come about in communications has been (at least, from my point of view) an inability for Cranio to be up front about mistakes and issues that have come up during the campaign. I'm in a line of work where delays, vendor issues, and cost overruns happen more frequently than I'd care to admit. It's why I feel like I'm more forgiving of the delays and component issues than some of the other posters here.

However, my clients do not appreciate it when someone on my end comes off like they are shirking responsibility, blaming someone else for a problem without taking action, or giving the client the silent treatment.

The last update reads to me exactly like the highlighted areas.

Instead of taking blame for not asking the manufacturer during the campaign if they can deliver a certain quality, they now use the manufacturer's difficulty of cutting thicker/UV spotted punchboards as an excuse/explanation for the reduction in card board quality.

What's worse is that it was backers who had to confront Cranio for weeks to find out what they changed. It's still not clear if they followed through with all the other SG or promises as we don't have the games in our hands. A reviewer won't go through the campaign page and said tick, missed, tick, tick, missed...

Cranio isn't very forthcoming with taking responsibilities like you do in your job, nor can I see an effort to make up for it, other than saying over and over again how great their game play will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stegemann
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Miss_Meeple wrote:
We couldn't keep our promises and it is our fault, but in this situation Essen is crucial for our business, ...

So, what are your plans to compensate for that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miss_Meeple wrote:

S.

Hi Sara,
that's not the whole truth. It's true that many have said they do not want the exclusive season or they do not care. But only for the reason that the game components are not downgraded. Now we get neither the excl. 6 months nor the best quality.
If you had been honest with us from the beginning, we would have found a common solution. For example you could search for another manufacturer to fulfill the promised quality and we would have waived the exclusive game time.

but you just did not do your homework and wanted to get ready quickly to sell your game at essen in time.

Other publishers like Serious Poulp (7th Continent) and Kingdom Death (Kingdom death: Monster) also did failures or did not calculate correctly,but compared to you they did not say "where can I save money", they said, "okay, we've screwed it up, but the game deserves the best quality and that's why we're looking for a solution. If necessary, we have to pay for it, but people can trust us."

I will not buy any games from Cranio in the future. my anticipation of Barrage has completely disappeared.
I will also recommend my friends to stop buying games from Cranio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Schippers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
We need to rate this game fair.
But we don't get a fair treatment so far.
That is contradictory

It should be fair for Cranio when they compensate for the undelivered promises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara T.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Patrick for understanding our point of view!

Bernhard, the manufacturer’s words are our explanation, not our excuse

Peter, as I said, simple and clear as you all wish: there is no compensation for the 6 month exclusive. I am sorry but this is our company decision. We concentrated on solving production problems which we evaluated as priority (as you all do).

Gigantomachie and all, we know we didn’t reply to you for months, I am here for this reason. If you have specific questions ananswered, don’t dig up the past, organize them and send them to us.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Schippers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I understand why Cranio don't want to compensate for the not delivered promises as exclusive play and downgraded components.
They want to make profit.
It is there choise true.
But then it is mine right to not give it a high rating and not to buy any other future games of Cranio and tell others about the poor company Cranio is.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hallo sara,

first of i there is no question in my post.
I just summarized correctly what was said and not left the half out like you.
Then I gave specific examples of how other publishers have dealt with similar problem or failures.

In the end, it's about your reputation and not mine.

but perhaps you going toearn so much money with the saved production costs and the sale of the retail version that you no longer need to make Kickstarters or produce other games.

At least I will not support any Carnio Kickstarter or buy your games on the market, either from you or from your partners locating your games in my country. there are more than 1000 new games each year in Essen why should i/ should we buy a game from a publish who gives a fuck on his customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Gigantomachie"]that's not the whole truth. It's true that many have said they do not want the exclusive season or they do not care. But only for the reason that the game components are not downgraded. Now we get neither the excl. 6 months nor the best quality.
For the record, not true. I don't actually care about the exclusivity. I understand why others might be, but I don't personally care whether or not some other gamer gets they're copy at retail even the day after I get mine. (I would be a little annoyed if they got it *before* me, but I'd get over that.) I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way.

That said, folks like you have the right to be unhappy about it. They *did* promise you that temporary exclusivity. On the other side of this, you're also demanding that they largely give up on retail sales to give you that exclusivity, which I strongly doubt that they will do, because committing financial suicide is bad for business. They *are* a business, and that means they exist to sell their games, and having at least some available at Essen to generate buzz is how you do that. And having full retail release in time for Christmas is how you do that. Beginning sales in February is *not*.

Quote:
I will not buy any games from Cranio in the future. my anticipation of Barrage has completely disappeared.

You absolutely have that right. I think you you might want to consider giving the game a try before you write it off, but if you're not willing to do that, why not offer your copy for sale in the BGG market? There were a number of people who regretted missing the end of the campaign, either because they didn't hear about it in time, or because they thought they'd be able to late pledge (and were wrong).

Your call!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo De basica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Miss_Meeple wrote:

No, it is 100% your excuse.

This kind of tiles are in several other games, if your manufacturer is not able to do it.... search another one who can. It leads a delay of course, new quotation phase, approval etc... but you want to sell it as soon as possible and no matter the promises and quality. So it is not a problem from manufacturing, it is a bussiness problem and you decide to go without backers.

If you manufacturer said that he cannot print in colour... would we receive a game in b&w? Or you would try to find another manufacturer?

All these, our manufacturer said, it was my first day on the job (after ten years creating games) we are a short team are just excuses and it could be improved on time.

Funny is the one with a short team, 10 people (and not possible to hire more until now, a community manager) and you are divided in groups (one or two people,3 at max) and not able to communicate with each other...maybe not only problem with english, maybe with italian too?

For me nothing has change... just empty words, cheering the few comments that are positive and giving excuses to the majority who deserve a reaction and answers. Everytime you give an answer, it leads to more questions because the answers are always childish and incompleted (a dog eat my homework, my manufactured said, we dont care create bad image, missunderstandings in shipping, but not clarify what happend or if they are on the way or when they arrive.....)

I hope the great designers take note how a bad editor election could sink his projects... the same as backer with our wallets. Maybe next time editors think twice to dont care about bad image or cheat the customers if both designers and customer/backers are passing by...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cgmcgm wrote:
Miss_Meeple wrote:

No, it is 100% your excuse.

This kind of tiles are in several other games, if your manufacturer is not able to do it.... search another one who can. It leads a delay of course, new quotation phase, approval etc... but you want to sell it as soon as possible and no matter the promises and quality. So it is not a problem from manufacturing, it is a bussiness problem and you decide to go without backers.

If you manufacturer said that he cannot print in colour... would we receive a game in b&w? Or you would try to find another manufacturer?

All these, our manufacturer said, it was my first day on the job (after ten years creating games) we are a short team are just excuses and it could be improved on time.

Funny is the one with a short team, 10 people (and not possible to hire more until now, a community manager) and you are divided in groups (one or two people,3 at max) and not able to communicate with each other...maybe not only problem with english, maybe with italian too?

For me nothing has change... just empty words, cheering the few comments that are positive and giving excuses to the majority who deserve a reaction and answers. Everytime you give an answer, it leads to more questions because the answers are always childish and incompleted (a dog eat my homework, my manufactured said, we dont care create bad image, missunderstandings in shipping, but not clarify what happend or if they are on the way or when they arrive.....)

I hope the great designers take note how a bad editor election could sink his projects... the same as backer with our wallets. Maybe next time editors think twice to dont care about bad image or cheat the customers if both designers and customer/backers are passing by...

You‘re goddamn right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq wrote:
[q="Gigantomachie"]that's not the whole truth. It's true that many have said they do not want the exclusive season or they do not care. But only for the reason that the game components are not downgraded. Now we get neither the excl. 6 months nor the best quality.
For the record, not true. I don't actually care about the exclusivity. I understand why others might be, but I don't personally care whether or not some other gamer gets they're copy at retail even the day after I get mine. (I would be a little annoyed if they got it *before* me, but I'd get over that.) I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way.

That said, folks like you have the right to be unhappy about it. They *did* promise you that temporary exclusivity. On the other side of this, you're also demanding that they largely give up on retail sales to give you that exclusivity, which I strongly doubt that they will do, because committing financial suicide is bad for business. They *are* a business, and that means they exist to sell their games, and having at least some available at Essen to generate buzz is how you do that. And having full retail release in time for Christmas is how you do that. Beginning sales in February is *not*.

Quote:

You absolutely have that right. I think you you might want to consider giving the game a try before you write it off, but if you're not willing to do that, why not offer your copy for sale in the BGG market? There were a number of people who regretted missing the end of the campaign, either because they didn't hear about it in time, or because they thought they'd be able to late pledge (and were wrong).

Your call!

Thanks for your great advice, but I can only resell the game if I actually have it. otherwise I would not be better than cranio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo De basica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Becq wrote:
They *are* a business, and that means they exist to sell their games, and having at least some available at Essen to generate buzz is how you do that. And having full retail release in time for Christmas is how you do that. Beginning sales in February is *!

Well, i dont care... kickstarter is a plattform to support people with great ideas but a lack of financial ressources. It is not a place to think about future business and forget the people who paid your development.

If you ask people to support you, it is because you need that money to create your project and it is enough, you should be happy with this push to develop your idea and not losing money.

if you have already your bussiness plan, it works and you are not gonna take into account the bakers, go to a bank for a credit, especulate and increase your main bussiness and benefits. Nothing against it.

Coming to ks, ask for our money and tell us that they dont care about us or bad image, main goal is increase presence and benefits selling at soon as possible in essen. I feel like a wallet with legs.

Main goal should be the backers, no matter other dates, bussiness, opportunities or benefits that you could take. If dont agree with that, as i said, ask a bank and dont create a ks campaign.

I feel cheated and used...not part of a campaign or an idea, thats because i dont care about his bussiness in the future, because are not concerning me. Normally in ks we paid development and first print, after that a company maks more profit from retails print because it is just “press the button again” and marketing is done, hype is there. Here they dont give a s* for backers and are focused in retail, partners and fairs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Buettemeier
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Esst mehr Käsetoast!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we are on the same stage of the same discussion again. Like in the Kickstarter comments, like in the Luigi's thoughts thread, like everywhere. Same arguments, same shitstorm. Tiring.

I think this thread was about the ratings for the game which should give an indicator if it is good. Noone (except for Yuki ) has the final box, and all these 1's rate the KS campaign.

Serious people, this punishment rating stuff is blatantly pointless. And it ruins any meaning of BGG ratings in general. Yeah, thanks for that, angry internet mob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Schippers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
unittype wrote:
So we are on the same stage of the same discussion again. Like in the Kickstarter comments, like in the Luigi's thoughts thread, like everywhere. Same arguments, same shitstorm. Tiring.

I think this thread was about the ratings for the game which should give an indicator if it is good. Noone (except for Yuki ) has the final box, and all these 1's rate the KS campaign.

Serious people, this punishment rating stuff is blatantly pointless. And it ruins any meaning of BGG ratings in general. Yeah, thanks for that, angry internet mob.
Well don't follow the ratings then.
That is just how it works.
All ratings are entirely subjective.
No one is forcing you to follow the ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the rating should not reflect the production of the game rather the actual gameplay.

I get delays and manufacturing hiccups from KS games. That's why I don't read the forums and just wait patiently to hear from KS updates. That said, the updates Cranio has been putting out have not helped their case.

FAQs answered Part 1 - Production
Is full of, hey we were kind of just talking out our redtrain
because we were excited for the game, but can't actually produce the items we talked about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Buettemeier
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Esst mehr Käsetoast!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rednas79 wrote:
Well don't follow the ratings then.
That is just how it works.
All ratings are entirely subjective.
No one is forcing you to follow the ratings.

Well, I would give you a point here, but unfortunately BGG gives guidelines to ratings: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/ratings

There is nowhere the rating "KS campaign drove me nuts for some reasons - 1/10".

And yes, I give you credit for "subjectiveness" as BGG admits to that. But there is nowhere any nuance giving credit to what people are focussing here in their 1's. Basically people crush a system that more or less gave a rough indicaator to the quality of a game since 15 years for me. And I don't see why this is something I should ignore.

Just have a look at my BGG badge - I am supporting this site since 2008 with real money to make it the greatest thing for boardgames in the net. Please don't ruin these mechanics with some dispute that does not belong here - as questionable as Cranios behaviour might be regarding their Kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Schippers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
The quality of a game is a part of the game.

I see many high rated games only because they have alot of nice mini's.
Do you complain about that too?

Or i see alot of people giving high ratings to games that they backed but did not playd yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rednas79 wrote:
The quality of a game is a part of the game.

I see many high rated games only because they have alot of nice mini's.

Or i see alot of people giving high ratings to games that they backed but did not playd yet.

1) Yes, I've commented on those sorts of ratings, too. Games shouldn't be rated except by gamers who have played them.

2) Let's say there was a separate rating for game production quality. Do you seriously believe that Barrage rates a '1' for that? I get that you're disappointed that the quality was less that you'd hoped, but you seriously think Barrage is among the worst games ever made? If so, your gaming life has been very sheltered...

You don't have a rating for Gloomhaven, but if you did, you'd have to go into negative numbers to rate it, by your standards. Thin cardstock (not even cardboard) components, etc. Yet it is the highest rated game on BGG, with some margin, and with good reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hatuey Diaz
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miss_Meeple wrote:

Peter, as I said, simple and clear as you all wish: there is no compensation for the 6 month exclusive. I am sorry but this is our company decision. We concentrated on solving production problems which we evaluated as priority (as you all do).

Gigantomachie and all, we know we didn’t reply to you for months, I am here for this reason. If you have specific questions ananswered, don’t dig up the past, organize them and send them to us.

Thanks!

I'd just like to take a moment here to thank you Sara. You got handed a mess and even though you and the company you work for have been insulted and accused of just about everything under the sun, you've done a fantastic job of communicating and keeping your composure.

Unfortunately for you, the loudest critics have hit that stage in their indignation where there is literally nothing you can say or do to appease them short of putting your company out of business. You offered explanations and all they saw were excuses. At this point, having not even seen it in person, they've made up their minds about the quality of the game and nothing is going to change that.

I just wanted you to know that there are people out there that are incredibly excited to get and play Barrage and who think the production looks fantastic. Thanks again for everything you've done and stay strong, I'm sure this will all fade away when the game finally gets delivered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara T.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OurMrMajestyk wrote:
Miss_Meeple wrote:

Thanks!

I'd just like to take a moment here to thank you Sara. You got handed a mess and even though you and the company you work for have been insulted and accused of just about everything under the son, you've done a fantastic job of communicating and keeping your composure.

Unfortunately for you, the loudest critics have hit that stage in their indignation where there is literally nothing you can say or do to appease them short of putting your company out of business. You offered explanations and all they saw were excuses. At this point, having not even seen it in person, they've made up their minds about the quality of the game and nothing is going to change that.

I just wanted you to know that there are people out there that are incredibly excited to get and play Barrage and who think the production looks fantastic. Thanks again for everything you've done and stay strong, I'm sure this will all fade away when the game finally gets delivered.

Hello Hatuey,
thank you very much for your support, and for understanding my position.
I can see that my intervention hasn't changed people's reactions (even if they asked for more communication) and I know they are very upset.

We know all the reasons why they are disappointed, it is not necessary to write them multiple times in multiple places (if you want me to help, don't make it hard for me to follow you).
This thread was about rating.

I am giving you Cranio's answers, we are sorry if you do not agree.
The only thing I can do right now as a single human being is answer to questions and doubts still open.
Thank you,
S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, definitely not spending another single Euro to Cranio’s Kickstarters/preorders. I mean one has to be crazy to believe anything these guys put on a campaign page in the future. I don’t know Cranio, maybe you think you’re the only game publishing company asking for funding on KS

And that’s from someone very enthusiastic about Barrage and really indifferent towards delays and component thickness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miss_Meeple wrote:
OurMrMajestyk wrote:
Miss_Meeple wrote:

Thanks!

I'd just like to take a moment here to thank you Sara. You got handed a mess and even though you and the company you work for have been insulted and accused of just about everything under the son, you've done a fantastic job of communicating and keeping your composure.

Hello Hatuey,
I can see that my intervention hasn't changed people's reactions (even if they asked for more communication) and I know they are very upset.

We know all the reasons why they are disappointed, it is not necessary to write them multiple times in multiple places (if you want me to help, don't make it hard for me to follow you).

The only thing I can do right now as a single human being is answer to questions and doubts still open.
Thank you,
S.

Those concerned were hoping for communication with Cranio about their concerns.

"And do your best to answer backers' questions and address their concerns, quickly and thoroughly”."

What you arrived at now is being tone deaf for the concerns of those who feel they were mislead with Cranio's quality concerns. Instead, you are a cheerleader for the enthusiasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hatuey Diaz
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:
Miss_Meeple wrote:
OurMrMajestyk wrote:
Miss_Meeple wrote:

Thanks!

Hello Hatuey,

Thank you,
S.

"And do your best to answer backers' questions and address their concerns, quickly and thoroughly”."

What you arrived at now is being tone deaf for the concerns of those who feel they were mislead with Cranio's quality concerns. Instead, you are a cheerleader for the enthusiasts.

Sorry Bernhard, but where exactly do you see this going? What would make you happy? I'm serious, what outcome would, in your mind, make this whole situation right and just?

You wanted answers about the thickness of the components and you got them. Whether or not you choose to believe them is up to you, but I found you're statement on the KS comments about how you wouldn't have backed this project if you had known what the final thickness of the cardboard would be to be more than a little disingenuous. By that logic, literally 99% of the games on the market would not be up to snuff according to you, not to mention pretty much your entire collection. And the idea that Cranio are getting to reduce the price of production because of this by as much as 50% shows a deep misunderstanding of how manufacturing works.

You keep bringing up EGG for equivalencies when it comes to what you're getting with Barrage yet you give no details. I'm fortunate enough to own a few of their titles and from what I've seen, I don't feel short changed at all. For instance, I just received Escape Plan and it's an amazing game with fantastic components and I paid pretty much the same price for it that I paid for my all-in on Barrage. While Escape Plan is an amazing production and has thicker cardboard, it doesn't have a multi-tiered recessed magnetic main board. It also doesn't have giant turbine rondels or metal coins and where EGG used cards for thier 35 contacts, Cranio used cardboard for their 45 contracts even though they easily could have done the same thing. Not to mention everything else in this crazy game. Seriously, everything in this game is cardboard and that's kind of nuts considering the quantity.

I know none of this ultimately matters to you, I would just hope that you try to give Barrage a fair shake when it reaches your door and please try and remember that you're dealing with real people on the other side of this. The hyperbole used so far doesn't help get your point across and does nothing but make you look bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara T.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:
Miss_Meeple wrote:
OurMrMajestyk wrote:
Miss_Meeple wrote:

Thanks!

Hello Hatuey,

Thank you,
S.

So, my intervention didn't change anything in your opinion?
Hatuey is very good in expressing our point of view (thank you man!), you wanted answers, I am giving them to you (see last update and the hundreds of comments I replied to, one by one).
If you don't like our answers, that's another problem, but you can't say that we are not addressing your concerns anymore.
(Still a few questions to be answered, but I am working on it)

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [10] |