Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you play the "place Odin token" card to remove the Odin token from your path, do you get to place the token in your opponent's path, or just remove the token from play? I'm inclined to think the game plays better if you do the latter- plying the token first can put you at a real disadvantage if it's the former, so much so that we rarely play that card in our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that you "move the Odin token to another vacant Landscape space".

However, I am sure you may play the way you prefer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xfoley8 wrote:
... playing the token first can put you at a real disadvantage if it's the former, so much so that we rarely play that card in our games.
I don't understand this "disadvantage". I do understand rarely playing the Odin marker though as it's usually a fairly weak use of that Odin card.

The Odin marker costs your opponent one flight card to overcome, but it cost you one card to play, so it's no more beneficial than an ordinary flight card. Like most of the Odin cards there's circumstances where it's useful to use it. Each Odin card has the potential to gain you several steps on your opponent.

If you just drop the Odin marker out arbitrarily, you're opponent can just play one extra flight card to overcome it and you've gained nothing at all over if you had just played an ordinary flight card.

That particular Odin card, the other option is swapping two landscape cards, which is extremely potent in the right circumstances and may gain you many steps, commonly at least four and maybe six or seven! I'd even say "most of the time" it can gain you two or three steps, all by breaking up your opponent's matching landscape and/or setting up good matches for yourself.

If you simply introduce the Odin marker arbitrarily, you've sacrificed the other effect of the card, AND the other player can overcome the marker simply by playing an extra flight card. You've gained no more benefit than if you'd played an ordinary flight card.

Moving the marker from in front of you to in front of them gains you only one extra step, unless you happen to be able to take advantage of the "right" circumstances for the Odin marker ... so in rare ideal circumstances you can remove the pain of the Odin marker (worth two or three steps) AND inflict similar pain with it on your opponent. But this is pretty rare.

You can get any benefit at all from the Odin marker when:
- You are confident they are depleted in that card type, so it will cost them an extra Joker pair to pass it... you gain one step.
- You put the Odin marker on the second card of your opponents run of landscape, thus splitting it in two AND requiring them to overcome the marker when they get there... you gain two steps.

So in ideal circumstances if you move the Odin marker from splitting up your landscape to splitting up theirs, AND they are depleted in that flight card, you might gain as many as five steps. Most of the time I can get better results from the Swap Two Landscape Cards option than from the Move the Odin Marker option.

All of these plays, and swapping landscape cards, only work to best effect when there is enough of the race left to do them. If you are near the end AND your opponent is exactly one step ahead of you AND they are depleted in that flight card, sometimes you can usefully play the Odin marker for a one-card advantage so they have little leverage to move it back on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My disadvantage perception comes from the fact that there are only a couple of these cards in each deck. If you play the (first) Odin marker on your opponent, but he has the same card in his hand, he can then simply play the card, move the marker in front of you, and then you have to contend with it without it having much effect on your opponent (and the likelihood that you will have both Odin marker cards in your hand is not very high). Seems to me the 2nd player to use the card will often have the advantage, in that case, which happened several times to me in the first few games I played- without a matching card for the land the Odin token was moved to in my path, I kinda screwed myself by being the first to play it. Only allowing the removal of the Odin marker from play with the 2nd card seems more fair to me in the grand scheme of things, but I interpreted the rules the same as Great Dane did.

I agree that the 'swap 2 landscapes' option is probably more useful in most instances. I just wanted to make sure we were playing as intended when removing the Odin marker with an Odin marker card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xfoley8 wrote:
My disadvantage perception comes from the fact that there are only a couple of these cards in each deck. If you play the (first) Odin marker on your opponent, but he has the same card in his hand, he can then simply play the card, move the marker in front of you, and then you have to contend with it without it having much effect on your opponent (and the likelihood that you will have both Odin marker cards in your hand is not very high).
Another thought... since the swap-two-landscape-cards effect is usually more useful, you can wait until your opponent plays that effect. Then they have used the card.

I feel the swap-landscape effect is really powerful up to about halfway through the race, and then usefulness declines. Near the end of the race it's almost useless, and that's when you might play the Odin marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hopkins
United States
flag msg tools
It is certainly a disadvantage to have your opponent move the marker immediately after you've put it in front of him, but how often will he be able to do this? There are 30 cards in the deck and only 2 of such card, and there is only a 5-card hand. Thus, it is not likely that the opponent will immediately have that card. Keep in mind putting the Odin marker in front of an opponent, even if he does have that card, slows him down, in that it makes him expend an extra card to move the Odin Marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.