Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Limoges
Canada
Unspecified
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb

They seem to offer a deluxe cardboard map on the GMT site, but I wonder: maybe the best thing would still be to have the actual map laminated...

what do you usually do ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:What to do with the map...
Solipsist (#40290),

I am a big fan for laminating maps. I laminated my EiA maps and not only do they work well, you can use a dry erase marker for any PBEM games you may play, or for just making notes, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
Will play any game... especially for wine or espresso.
badge
An Australian in Africa.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just slip the map under a piece of perspex/polyplex (a large clear sheet of plastic about 4mm thick). All the benefits of lamination at significantly less cost (depending on how many wargame maps you have).

It also means the maps fold back into the box the way they came and you don't face the choice of horrific laminar creases or curling maps which need to be held down (depending whether you fold or roll the maps after laminating). A piece of perspex is always flat. :-)
I also like the way the perspex lifts the counters a few millimetres off the map.

I have a few laminated maps (mostly WiF related) but haven't gone that route since someone pointed out the power of perspex.

I know others have gone the extra step of using oversized picture frames. This gives you a perspex sheet, backing board and some "clips" to hold it all together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wofford
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poster frames are available in many art stores. For around 15.00, you get a plexiglass front and cardboard back held together by four plastic clips. a 22x34 map fits perfectly, and you can even store multiple maps inside (I have about 10 in mine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
southseasnurse (#45664),

Plus, you can hang the maps on the wall of your gameroom. Also, I've been able to pick up a game in progress and put it on top of a bookshelf to be finished later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djlg wrote:
I just slip the map under a piece of perspex/polyplex (a large clear sheet of plastic about 4mm thick). All the benefits of lamination at significantly less cost (depending on how many wargame maps you have).

Where might somebody obtain a piece of perspex/polyplex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volstag (#56900),

If you're an American , you might refer to it as plexiglass, and you might obtain it from Home Depot or a custom design plastics shop (we have a local one called TAP Plastics out here). Just get something think enough - the thinner sheets are cheaper, but do not hold up to temperature variations or wear very well and tend to warp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.