United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb

Last night after I caught the 12-point Largemouth Bass for the first time in my TF fishing career (and won 45-42!!), I got the idea to design rules for a 3-game session campaign mode. Here is the initial idea (feel free to add input):

1.) After the first game (Day 1), record the Angler(s) scores. Then have each angler take 1 card that they bought from the Baitshop during the Tournament that matches a Type of a card in their starting deck (i.e. not an Attachment or Accessory), and add it to their deck, removing the starting card entirely. Example: Remove a Reel "Present" card from the starting deck and replace it with a Hold Still "Present" card that you had bought on Day 1.

2.) Reset the game and play Day 2 (with your new starting deck) and record the Angler(s) scores. Then, do the same process above by keeping one of the cards that you bought and getting rid of one of the starting cards of the same Type so that you now have 2 Baitshop cards in your starting deck to begin Day 3.

3.) Reset the game and play Day 3 (with your new starting deck) and record the final score(s). Whichever Angler has the highest 3-day average Weigh-In wins the campaign!

Thoughts? I am going to test this out over the next few weeks to see how it plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it.

Does the baitshop row get refreshed each game and only gets reshuffled when the Bait deck is empty?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Greg, on catching your first ever 12 pounder. I've only managed to do it once in my fishing career thus far --- and it was in my first few TF games. I was indeed lucky considering all of the games you've played before achieving this difficult milestone.

I can't comment on your Campaign structure because I only play solo with 3 decks of everything mixed together plus Weather and Locations against 2 AI opponents. It has worked out very well IMHO without changing a single rule. Of course, it does produce wilder swings of good luck and bad luck ---but I'm fine with that. One game I had Paddles and about 4 Outboard Motors and sailed through my entire inventory of cards each turn. That was fun. Other games I have trouble finding my favourite cards. That's okay also. Fishing is not always easy or productive.

I go out on the lake & try to catch 2 fish every morning before breakfast (or shore lunch)--- and the game is permanently set up until I have finished all 13 turns. I'm having a blast with the TF system --- and the theme pours through the design.

I don't believe I will ever get tired of playing it. And I've added about 130 North American species and subspecies for additional variety and enjoyment (using the fish in the game as place-holders for the fish I've added, using a d:6). I keep a daily fisherman's log as well as each species of fish on separate index cards --- so I can produce some basic stats and add more fish to my Life List. I'm pleased with the way I have embellished this game for my own amusement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan1974 wrote:
I like it.

Does the baitshop row get refreshed each game and only gets reshuffled when the Bait deck is empty?

Each day, you reshuffle everything and play again, with your upgraded starting deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
Congratulations, Greg, on catching your first ever 12 pounder. I've only managed to do it once in my fishing career thus far --- and it was in my first few TF games. I was indeed lucky considering all of the games you've played before achieving this difficult milestone.

I can't comment on your Campaign structure because I only play solo with 3 decks of everything mixed together plus Weather and Locations against 2 AI opponents. It has worked out very well IMHO without changing a single rule. Of course, it does produce wilder swings of good luck and bad luck ---but I'm fine with that. One game I had Paddles and about 4 Outboard Motors and sailed through my entire inventory of cards each turn. That was fun. Other games I have trouble finding my favourite cards. That's okay also. Fishing is not always easy or productive.

I go out on the lake & try to catch 2 fish every morning before breakfast (or shore lunch)--- and the game is permanently set up until I have finished all 13 turns. I'm having a blast with the TF system --- and the theme pours through the design.

I don't believe I will ever get tired of playing it. And I've added about 130 North American species and subspecies for additional variety and enjoyment (using the fish in the game as place-holders for the fish I've added, using a d:6). I keep a daily fisherman's log as well as each species of fish on separate index cards --- so I can produce some basic stats and add more fish to my Life List. I'm pleased with the way I have embellished this game for my own amusement.

I’m blown away by this each time I hear about how you play the game. It sounds really really fun and I could see how you could create super good combos with lots of card draw. Thanks so much for the kind words! I feel the same way about the legs of the game. I love playing it 2-3 times a week even after hundreds of plays. It never gets old for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play against 2 AI opponents, do you just go through the AI deck twice or do you have multiple clock decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aspiringloser wrote:
When you play against 2 AI opponents, do you just go through the AI deck twice or do you have multiple clock decks?

You could play it with the Weather AI as well as clock.

Each Day is a new game where you reset everything. The only difference is your upgraded starting deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you progressing with your new hunting game?

In anticipation of its launch in the not-too-distant future, I am already researching (on the internet) all of the mammals on the continent of Africa. I think it would be fun to be a wannabe "big" game hunter and have a large diversity of animals (both large and small) to add to my collection in a totally different part of the world.

Since it is only "pretend hunting", I have no qualms about bagging even rare or endangered species. Of course, I would never do such a thing in real life. In fact, I have never hunted anything in my entire life. But here, I am only limited by my imagination --- and your fishing design really got my creative juices flowing. I hope the hunting will be just as much fun.

I plan to use the same placeholder approach that I've successfully adopted for Tournament Fishing. And in the game, Wingspan, I have added over 600 other species that are not included in the game --- for the possibility of a complete North American Life List. However, the truly rare/vagrant species of birds will only be discovered if I roll a 20 on a 20 sided die. Common and uncommon species will be much easier to check off on my Life birdlist. Unlike hunting, I really am an experienced birder and angler in real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
How are you progressing with your new hunting game?

In anticipation of its launch in the not-too-distant future, I am already researching (on the internet) all of the mammals on the continent of Africa. I think it would be fun to be a wannabe "big" game hunter and have a large diversity of animals (both large and small) to add to my collection in a totally different part of the world.

Since it is only "pretend hunting", I have no qualms about bagging even rare or endangered species. Of course, I would never do such a thing in real life. In fact, I have never hunted anything in my entire life. But here, I am only limited by my imagination --- and your fishing design really got my creative juices flowing. I hope the hunting will be just as much fun.

I plan to use the same placeholder approach that I've successfully adopted for Tournament Fishing. And in the game, Wingspan, I have added over 600 other species that are not included in the game --- for the possibility of a complete North American Life List. However, the truly rare/vagrant species of birds will only be discovered if I roll a 20 on a 20 sided die. Common and uncommon species will be much easier to check off on my Life birdlist. Unlike hunting, I really am an experienced birder and angler in real life.

It's going pretty well. Most of my design work on it has been mental. Basically, I am playing turns in my head and trying to foresee any problems or things that I will need to account for.

In TF, you get 2 free cast attempts (most of the time, hoping for a bite) but in HUNT you don't really make attempts when hunting. Instead it's all about finding the animal by sight first and then lining up a clear shot. So the way in which you gather information on the board is a bit different and looks more like the Search Phase in TF.

Things like this. But I have also worked on some art and stuff too:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
3 day tournament rules look good to me. That bow also looks fantastic. Now I'd like one in Tournament Fishing...how about some bow fishing cards. haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Bow fishing card would be a good idea as a Promo card to throw in with the Hunt. I’ve never Bow fished so don’t know how it work with TF thematically. Maybe something like “Must be put into play with a Hook card.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Nah there wouldn't really be a way to add it into the game that would make sense, just joking around really.

I've bow fished a time or two, Fun, but not as easy as it looked to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan1974 wrote:
A bow fishing card would be a good promotional card to throw in with the Hunt. I’ve never bow fished so don’t know how it work for TF thematically. Maybe something like “Must be put into play with a Hook card.”

Good idea! Bow fishing definitely is a thing and it would be neat to have it as a promo in HUNT. Maybe something like: “Search Phase: When you Scan a Fish card, Lose this card to automatically catch it.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
tyk567 wrote:
Nathan1974 wrote:
A bow fishing card would be a good promotional card to throw in with the Hunt. I’ve never bow fished so don’t know how it work for TF thematically. Maybe something like “Must be put into play with a Hook card.”

Good idea! Bow fishing definitely is a thing and it would be neat to have it as a promo in HUNT. Maybe something like: “Search Phase: When you Scan a Fish card, Lose this card to automatically catch it.”

Wow, well heck yeah I'd want that card! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.