Popular Tags: [View All]
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the weekend my wife and I decided to take a few of our new card game acquisitions out for a spin. In this session we played Wings of War, Puerto Rico and Blue Moon.

We first started with Wings of War. To set the background, I am a big fan of flight combat games of all sorts, whereas my wife does not normally enjoy such games. An exception is Crimson Skies (the original hex version ) where she plays a vicious Black Swan squadron. (As an aside, she was crushed when WizKids killed the new click Crimson Skies prior to publishing Black Swan's plane).

Anyway, on to the game. We sorted the cards (the plastic wrap on them in the box had opened on the store shelf, apparently) and found a complete set. We then tried a one on one duel: classic Sopwith Biplane vs Spad. The movement system is clever and clean, at least on carpet (where cards don't slide around). The simplified firing/damage system was quite a breath of fresh air compared to the usual "take target number, modify by range, speed, angle of attack and phase of the moon". We will be removing the "explosion" card from the damage deck in future games though as it is just a bit to random for my taste. (This is the "tournament rule" anyway). The battle seemed to flow well: a couple of turns or an immelman follow by both planes having a firing opportunity. I made a few errors (eventually fatal) which allowed uncontested shots, but for the most part the battle never "got away" from either of us. (In some flight combat games, one on one battles can be decided by the first person to get out of position, whereupon they are tailed from that point forward). Both of us enjoyed it, and it was fast paced enough (about 45 minutes, including rules explanation) that we plan on presenting it to our four person group next session. One concern was space for a four person game... we will see next time. Game opinions DL: 7, JL: 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
Godeke (#40318),
thanks a lot for your report!

>One concern was space for a four person game... we will see next time.

In my experience, you can play in an even smaller area than the rules states. A 4 plane dogfight can take place on a 70 x 70 cm pub table, if you do not use consolles and the SPAD pilot is not too much overconfident... If he is, bad for him!

You can see
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/34686
for a few more details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Donnelly
Canada
Comox Valley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Godeke (#40318),
My set also arrived with the cellophane card wrapper broken.

On the explosion card, on another thread I suggested that this be interpreted as "double damage", i.e. discard the card and take two more. Or, if that burns up the damage deck too quickly, make the explosion a 3 damage and draw one more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
SkookumPete (#40995),
The cellophane wrapper on my cards was also broken when it arrived...kinda weird. I also didn't get any of the outside the box promo cards ?
I think the one shot one kill card is necessary for the game, it gives hope to someone who maybe behind that they might still be able to down their opponant. Theres nothing like being 30 minutes into a game and your plane is tattered and you just want it to be over, at least with the explosion card there is some hope you just may take out the other guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xasher (#41094),

I can see that perspective, but I have to say that it would be a very unhappy first damage card for a player to draw... I like the concept of using it as a multiplier though. Drawing two cards, maybe even two cards as +1. A brand new plane won't fall out of the sky in this case, but as the damage mounts this would be more and more dangerous. It also increases the probability of drawing restriction cards. We didn't get a chance to play this due to work this weekend (boo) but I think I will try this as a house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.