Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello all!

I've got an 8 year old and a 4 year old. The little tyke will do whatever he just wants to be involved so I'm not concerned if the game is above his age range. But I do want to 8 year old to play and feel engaged. Which coop would you recommend? We currently mostly play abstracts with the 8 year old so this would be an early introduction to games.

Mole Rats is from a great company and great designer but i've read it's hard and you can 'die'? She's a bit on the sensitive side too.

Forbidden Island I don't know much about but I see it all the time on recommendations for gaming with kids. I myself am/was an avid gamer and have many plays of co-ops and competitive games and i'm not new to the hobby.

We'll probably pick up another Peacable Kingdom game (thinking the cauldron one) as well to provide a couple options. So which would you guys get for a newer gamer that is age 8 and a bit sensitive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mole Rats in Space is much easier to understand and easier to win than Forbidden Island. Yes, you can "die", but that has never happened with us. We've lost, but only by the snakes making it to the escape pod, not by a mole rat dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah thank you, this is the response I needed. I think we'll get mole rats then. Any other suggestions for games with kiddos around 8 that are new to gaming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lee
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't played it yet, but The Incredibles: Save the Day Game might suit your needs if she is into the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mole Rats is hard, but it's harder with 4 players and easier with 2. It'd be a good start to get an 8 year old and a 4 year old playing together.

For more Peaceable Kingdom games, I highly recommend Gnomes at Night, which is a cooperative game with a vertical board. You can adjust difficulty and it truly requires cooperation (no quarterbacking).

If you want to pull the 4 year old into more "family" oriented games, I'd also recommend Drop It, Go Nuts for Donuts, or Kingdomino. All of these are ones that the youngest could play without their poor decisions negatively impacting everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls