1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

The 7th Continent» Forums » News

Subject: New game from SP ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
paul piotrowski
msg tools
mb
So sp deposits a new name 7th citadel in 6 february 2019 so maybe it's for the next game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds medieval fantasy
Interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you realise you uploaded two images: one with information redacted and one where we can see their home addresses?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Très intéressant! I like that they're keeping the "7th" part for continuity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Heyming
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting! Keeping the name continuity is cool. A citadel could be many many things. I personally am betting against medieval fantasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Isenor
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the 7-stars are probably going to be a central feature of their core system. Lucky 7s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert O
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting! Although we have no idea what it means, I like the name. I also like the fact that they are (I assume) working on their next 'Choose your own path' game, I love the mechanism and the sense of exploration.

Historically, a citadel is a military fortress, often inside or near a town. This could imply that the game will have conflict or warfare and/or is set in a city. This is just speculation ofcourse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F D
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks you for sharing the info
Name looks nice
Jack Spirio wrote:
Sounds medieval fantasy
Interesting
Would have no problem with a medieval fantasy game but it can be tricky for Serious Poulp (there are so many medieval/fantasy games out there)
I think, there were people talking about a space oriented game
So maybe, this citadels are big continent-like spaceships and there was a problem with the 7th citadel ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoon Onsky'
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berz118 wrote:
Thanks you for sharing the info
Name looks nice
Jack Spirio wrote:
Sounds medieval fantasy
Interesting
Would have no problem with a medieval fantasy game but it can be tricky for Serious Poulp (there are so many medieval/fantasy games out there)
I think, there were people talking about a space oriented game
So maybe, this citadels are big continent-like spaceships and there was a problem with the 7th citadel ?

I want me some Culture boardgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"The Seven Citadels" is an old fantasy series by Geraldine Harris (and I think it explicitly includes the term "7th citadel" as well). There might be some copyright issues if they proceed with that name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro I
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "7th Citadel" might draw inspiration from the "The Citadel of Chaos" Fighting Fantasy book from Steve Jackson, series that inspired the concept of The 7th Continent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F D
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HoonDing wrote:
I don't understand (sorry english is not my native language)

Hoogard wrote:
"The Seven Citadels" is an old fantasy series by Geraldine Harris (and I think it explicitly includes the term "7th citadel" as well). There might be some copyright issues if they proceed with that name.
Maybe it's linked to it ?

JuniorDelta wrote:
The "7th Citadel" might draw inspiration from the "The Citadel of Chaos" Fighting Fantasy book from Steve Jackson, series that inspired the concept of The 7th Continent.
Or to this one whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
berz118 wrote:
Hoogard wrote:

Could be, but I doubt it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
berz118 wrote:
HoonDing wrote:

It's a reference to a specific science fiction series by Iain Banks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F D
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoogard wrote:
berz118 wrote:
Hoogard wrote:

Could be, but I doubt it
I doubt too

galfridus wrote:
berz118 wrote:
HoonDing wrote:

It's a reference to a specific science fiction series by Iain Banks.
Ok, I didn't know about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point in the development process, I would assume that "7th Citadel" is a placeholder name to refer to the project while it is in development. There is no reason to assume that it will be the actual name of the finished game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
At this point in the development process, I would assume that "7th Citadel" is a placeholder name to refer to the project while it is in development. There is no reason to assume that it will be the actual name of the finished game.

I mean, I can think of a pretty good reason to make that assumption... the first game is called "7th Continent" and this appears to be SP registering a name/web domain (sorry, don't read French). I would think a placeholder name would be something more like "Space Adventure" or "Project Camel" or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert O
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
randiv wrote:

I mean, I can think of a pretty good reason to make that assumption... the first game is called "7th Continent" and this appears to be SP registering a name/web domain (sorry, don't read French). I would think a placeholder name would be something more like "Space Adventure" or "Project Camel" or something like that.

You're right. The web domain 'www.the7thcitadel.com' is registered by SP: https://www.whois.com/whois/the7thcitadel.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ornitorrinco
msg tools
In this section called "my personal opinion which nobody asked for", I have to say that it would be a bit disappointing for me if the next game uses a medieval theme. I think a scifi world would have been great (particularly if it was an new and original world)... (Although if it was space exploration then.. I don't know, it could get trickier to implement)
But even any theme is still way better than medieval theme. SPECIALLY medieval fantasy one. Please, don't get me wrong. As the most of you (probably), I loved movies, tv series, boardgames and tons of videogames based on medieval fantasy. But less face it, it has been over exploited in ways that it's hard to imagine. And the reason for that is that it's super easy for any adventure story/game to fit medieval fantasy. It's pretty flexible to implement any adventure there... It's so easy that we are surrounded with it, so over exploited that it lacks any glance of originality. It's the easy path.
The 7th continent is a master piece. It would be a shame if it's successor turns out to be... another medieval fantasy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fmgs31 wrote:
In this section called "my personal opinion which nobody asked for", I have to say that it would be a bit disappointing for me if the next game uses a medieval theme. I think a scifi world would have been great (particularly if it was an new and original world)... (Although if it was space exploration then.. I don't know, it could get trickier to implement)
But even any theme is still way better than medieval theme. SPECIALLY medieval fantasy one. Please, don't get me wrong. As the most of you (probably), I loved movies, tv series, boardgames and tons of videogames based on medieval fantasy. But less face it, it has been over exploited in ways that it's hard to imagine. And the reason for that is that it's super easy for any adventure story/game to fit medieval fantasy. It's pretty flexible to implement any adventure there... It's so easy that we are surrounded with it, so over exploited that it lacks any glance of originality. It's the easy path.
The 7th continent is a master piece. It would be a shame if it's successor turns out to be... another medieval fantasy game.

Although many will be happy to correct me, I haven't run across too many Medieval-era themed games. They are out there - Crusaders is one of the more recent ones - but my perception is that they aren't plentiful. Tolkien-inspired fantasy themed games (which is what I believe you mean by Medieval-fantasy) are a dime-a-dozen. So I would welcome seeing what Serious Poulp could do with a Medieval-era themed game. Of course, I'll also welcome any game they produce at this point simply based on their strong showing with 7th Continent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apscott wrote:
fmgs31 wrote:

Although many will be happy to correct me, I haven't run across too many Medieval-era themed games. They are out there - Crusaders is one of the more recent ones - but my perception is that they aren't plentiful. Tolkien-inspired fantasy themed games (which is what I believe you mean by Medieval-fantasy) are a dime-a-dozen. So I would welcome seeing what Serious Poulp could do with a Medieval-era themed game. Of course, I'll also welcome any game they produce at this point simply based on their strong showing with 7th Continent.

I tend to agree with this. The one thing that I believe is key to the 7th Continent system is the item inventory. It worked brilliantly for 7C with the cursed island survival / Indiana Jones / Robinson Crusoe style theme. I think it could work for a medieval theme as well... this is one of my worries with some other themes suggested... you need some conceit that allows the player to craft items somehow... I just can't get excited about the idea of gluing your lasergun to a protein pack and hover boots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The space opera hypothesis seems a good candidate to me - some kind of derelict gigantic space structure left behind by an ancient species, and explorers entering it for the first time in centuries.

Plenty of opportunity to explore, easy to create different zones with unique atmosphere and ecosystems, crafting that makes sense, several mysteries to consider - who created it, for what purpose, what happened to them...

While the "Steve Jackson's Citadel of Chaos" theory holds its own, and could make a nice adventure, I don't think it fits the 7C gamesystem as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
I tend to agree with this. The one thing that I believe is key to the 7th Continent system is the item inventory. It worked brilliantly for 7C with the cursed island survival / Indiana Jones / Robinson Crusoe style theme. I think it could work for a medieval theme as well... this is one of my worries with some other themes suggested... you need some conceit that allows the player to craft items somehow... I just can't get excited about the idea of gluing your lasergun to a protein pack and hover boots.
No problem with a medieval theme, but I do hope that any follow up games change the inventory system. I don't find it particularly fun and I'm not a fan of the bizarre item combos that you end up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
They could do something with nanotech, fabricators, or some other modular technology for the inventory stuff.

The SP guys have been really good at combining theme and mechanics, I bet they come up with something interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
They could do something with nanotech, fabricators, or some other modular technology for the inventory stuff.

The SP guys have been really good at combining theme and mechanics, I bet they come up with something interesting.

Bio-armor with suit upgrades, like the Metroid or Fallout series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |