Popular Tags: [View All]
DT Strain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Just a quick note to everyone,

We actually haven't got very many rules questioners, but I like to give good response to those giving input so I should make this note about rules issues...

As many of you know from playing, Smugglers of the Galaxy is a highly flexible system with a lot of potential outcomes and strategies. This is why we call it an "adventure boardgame" as opposed to a "strategy boardgame" (think "poker" instead of "chess" - i.e. half strategy/half unpredictable). We wanted to give the player as many freedoms and options as possible. Like life, it's about how you deal the hand you're dealt that matters. Like poker, your strategy does matter but you'll still have some great successes and some great failures - such is the chaotic life of the space smuggler!

There have been some other games in the past that have come out along similar lines, but of different genres. Although very different in a lot of ways, Games Workshop's excellent game "Talisman" comes to mind, which necessitated an enormous amount of adjudicating and rules FAQ.

Like those other games of this type, because of its flexible and diverse possibilities, we assumed from the beginning that there would be occasional strange combinations of events that come up and questions of interpretation. This is why we have taken special steps ahead of time to provide an avenue for feedback (our website) which we respond to daily. We have definitely play-tested an extreme amount, and worked out all obvious problems, but there's no way to have this type of madly-fun & free adventure system without occasional questions arrising. My brother and I grew up playing adventure games of this sort and after hundreds of plays had quite a few house rules built up, but these were some of the funnest games ever, specifically because of their vast combination of unpredictable possibilities.

We recommend that players use the spirit of the rules and common sense to reach consensus on the occasional unforeseen combinations of events and also feel free to submit rules questions to us directly!

We're thrilled that so many people are reporting such great and fun experiences with Smugglers - that's our real reward in all this. Just keep in mind that it's form is almost a "roleplaying/boardgame" hybrid so a little player adjudication will be inherent in any system as open and diverse as Smugglers

Thanks!
Sincerely,

Daniel Strain
Playus Maximus
www.playusmaximus.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.