Subject: Humans dying on the fourth turn... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antoine Fibula
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Important announcement about BGG communication!Microbadge: INVISIBLE CAT PLAYING INVISIBLE AGRICOLAZMicrobadge: In Memoriam: Chad Jensen
We just played three games with four players and the basic rules, and the humans were destroyed each time. It took between four and six turns for the aliens to kill both humans, and with almost zero effort to hide their identity.

How the hell are humans supposed to win? Do you have to play with the advanced rules so they stand a chance against the aliens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven’t had this problem, not sure what the humans are doing, but I am usually able to completely fool the aliens as to my actual location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Falk Hartelius
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
If you're not doing so already, I suggest playing on one of the smaller maps. Humans have an job that on the face of it seems much harder, but I've heard from groups where they ask "how the hell are the aliens meant to win?!" - it's very group dependent.

Good human play relies on being unpredictable and masquerading as much as possible as an alien. If you can make it unclear who you are or where you're headed, you have a much better chance of survival
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Fibula
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Important announcement about BGG communication!Microbadge: INVISIBLE CAT PLAYING INVISIBLE AGRICOLAZMicrobadge: In Memoriam: Chad Jensen
Thanks for the replies, guys!
I was on my phone when I wrote my original post, so I didn't take my time to develop what my problem was. Here's a more in-depth explanation about what I think went wrong.

So, we played five games with four players, all new to the game. During the first four games, it took between four and six turns for the aliens to kill all the humans... I backtracked, tried going illogical paths, but I was killed all the same.
It seems to me that, if I got only one red card during the first turns, they were able to jump on my back and eat me...

On the fifth game, I managed to stay alive for something like eight turns, but ended up in an alien stomach nonetheless... The other human got more lucky and managed to escape. The thing is, one of the aliens was playing very poorly, not trying to attack anyone, so the other alien player was basically alone.

Oh, and we played four times on the Galilei map, and never used the advanced rules: no items, no special powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Falk Hartelius
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Sometimes the group balances one way rather than another, and you'll need to modify the game to refit that balance. Here are some options:

- Play with Items. Only human players can use items, so they help them out.

- Try Morgenland and Socrates maps - you only need to survive a small number of turns to escape on these maps

- Try the powers. They don't necessarily favour one side over the other, but they do give the humans some more options.

- Change the balance of humans/aliens. 1 alien vs 3 humans is probably a bit extreme, but you could counterbalance by playing a harder map like Fermi or Levi-Montalcini, or allowing the Alien to have their ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Fibula
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
badge
Next time, we'll try using the full rules! Thanks for your help, Filip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls