7 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sermons at higher levels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Bremhofer
Austria
flag msg tools
I am asking myself what the correct ruling is for sermons at a higher levels. 2 Examples:

Righteous Fury: Lvl: 1 +1 damage for all hits
Lvl: 4 +2 damage
here the effect doesn't stack I think (no +3 damage on all hits at lvl 4+, just improving from 1 to 2 damage).

But what if the effect changes massive, e.g:

Shockwave: Lvl 1: 1 hit to all enemies within 2 spaces
Lvl 2: 2 hits
Lvl 4: effects all enemies on your map tile
Lvl 6: hits are +1 damage

what about lvl 4? all enemies 1 hit (feels a bit like a downgrade, no upgrade)or 2 hits?
and lvl 6: 1 hit to all enemies within 2 spaces with +1 damage or all enemies on your maptile with +1?

It would be a little strange if I had to choose for each skill and level when effects stack and when not. But if you don't stack at all sometimes the skills get weaker when leveling up. Shockwave lvl 2 (2 hits to all within 2 spaces) is much stronger than lvl6 that does 1 hit doing +1 damage to all within 2 spaces (2d6 vs 1d6+1).
does someone have official rulings, or houserules if no rules exist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played the preacher, but I would have assumed that all effects are cumulative, unless they are directly superseded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannot say for sure, my opinion is this:

Shockwave: Lvl 1: 1 hit to all enemies within 2 spaces === clear

Lvl 2: 2 hits === 2 hits to all Enemies within 2 spaces

Lvl 4: effects all enemies on your map tile === 2 hits to all Enemies on your Map Tile

Lvl 6: hits are +1 damage === 2 hits to all Enemies on your Map Tile doing +1 Damage each

That is not cumulative, but includes "key upgrades" from the previous levels (hard to make a strict definition). I love Huckster, he/she is similar to Preacher for these mechanics and that's how I play him/her =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Bremhofer
Austria
flag msg tools
thanks for the thoughts to both of you. And how would you rule weaken? Lvl 1 decreases the defense of enemies by 2, crit-immunes by 1; lvl 6 says -3 defense.
would you reduce the defense of the crit-immunes by 1 (unchanged since there is no word of the immunes in the lvl6 text) or 2 (1 less than that of the normal enemies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chilton
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I would leave it at -1 as there is no mention of it otherwise.

Also my general understanding matches that of Denis.
If an effect has already been addressed (+ damage, range, hits) when a higher level refers to the same effect it replaces the lower level. When it adds a new effect then it is additional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
achilt0 wrote:
I would leave it at -1 as there is no mention of it otherwise.

Also my general understanding matches that of Denis.
If an effect has already been addressed (+ damage, range, hits) when a higher level refers to the same effect it replaces the lower level. When it adds a new effect then it is additional.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Bremhofer
Austria
flag msg tools
thanks again, I was afraid it would be that way^^ -2 on imunes would be a little too strong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls