Popular Tags: [View All]
Dake Jimson
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Why's the sky blue? Why's water wet?
badge
Why did Judas rat to Romans while Jesus slept?
mbmbmbmbmb
where the standard 9er has most of its meat on D2 and beyond. maybe D1 matters more in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Sit tight, but the revolution's years away /I'm losing faith and I'm running low on things to say
mbmbmb
Dake wrote:
where the standard 9er has most of its meat on D2 and beyond. maybe D1 matters more in this game.

I think it does just because in this one all the players know there's no chance of a Seer showing up with two pieces of big info.

A Seer with a n0 clear and either a n1 hit or a clear can totally flip the game. But here, our best case is a priest with a view that a living corpse eater can block every time if they choose.

The likelihood of more mechanical info on D2 is almost nil. In this last game, I assume we don't even get the priest view there if wolves don't eat the aux.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alabaster
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dake wrote:
Vanderscamp wrote:
Dake wrote:
i think the wolves want to kill a hunter on N1, and yet i also believe a hunter should voluntarily claim on D1. shouldn't those two things be at odds?

No.

There are lots of situations in other games where it's right for seers to claim even if they expect to be NKed immediately for example.
Another example that could happen in this set is the decision to claim to escape lynch or not and then get lynched. Even if they're always nking you it's still better than being lynched. The logic is different for what we're arguing but it's an example of why that isn't true on principle.

it's right for seers to claim when they are at risk of NK because they have info. why do daryld and barry want to claim other than reducing the lynch pool? especially since i think a daryld or barry kill is ideal for N1.

Because their only real value is as a claimable role, and that value drops off significantly when the claim could very easily be coming from an evil, which isn't true D1 if they don't get countered (and if they do get countered that's also info, and they're probably not getting NKed)
Ortho gave a pretty good summary of why being a claimable role D1 is a good thing here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alabaster
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dake wrote:
i feel like there's incentive to not claim and also to claim. which is what we're looking for.

There's always going to be some incentive for both of those things, what matters is how strong the incentive is.
I'd argue that since this community doesn't particularly like all claims, the incentive to not claim should start off a lot stronger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
beardandglasses wrote:
OK, debrief time for the player on just his tenth game of WW online... how does one craft a "worldview" as a villager? No special powers, just stay out of the way sorta thing?

"worldview" isn't about knowledge - it's about beliefs.

also, "staying out of the way" is probably the least useful way to play villager. I think all roles should jump in head first - but especially villagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
ortho_ wrote:
My new thing:

If I'm in a CC battle, I'm giving myself 15 posts per game day.

There is a Vander exception. If you are one of those guys, I will break the restriction. arrrh

I'm only posting this here because I want this to be on the record so that it's not tied up in a game when I deploy it.

fwiw, I think limiting yourself to posts that discuss the claim specifically is probably fine - especially in relation to the counterpart in the battle.

but you should probably leave exception for discussing non-claim battle things which is normally still very relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dake wrote:
I'll probably put another one up.

A question though.

Would you rather be playing the classic no-reveal 9er, or is there still more to explore here? I'd just as happily run the classic 9er.

I like having a variety of games in general. This one is ok. I still think an all claim is pro-good on d1 and encourage the set to be ran with that happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Sit tight, but the revolution's years away /I'm losing faith and I'm running low on things to say
mbmbmb
RoyalApe wrote:
ortho_ wrote:
My new thing:

If I'm in a CC battle, I'm giving myself 15 posts per game day.

There is a Vander exception. If you are one of those guys, I will break the restriction. arrrh

I'm only posting this here because I want this to be on the record so that it's not tied up in a game when I deploy it.

fwiw, I think limiting yourself to posts that discuss the claim specifically is probably fine - especially in relation to the counterpart in the battle.

but you should probably leave exception for discussing non-claim battle things which is normally still very relevant.

I'm going to try the no-exceptions 15 posts the next time I'm in a claim war. If it's really lame or I feel so restricted that I'm not having fun, I'll amend the rule or drop it entirely.

The main point is just that I don't want to get good reads in a claim war simply because I can talk and talk and be ubiquitous in the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  20 , 21 , 22 , 23 , 24  |