Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Symbiotic Armor (1 copy)
Ambush: This Symbiote Bonds with the Mastermind. When you fight the Mastermind, defeat Symbiotic Armor and KO one of your Heroes instead of taking a Tactic.
Attack: 1
VP: 6

Was playing with Hybrid, who had already been bonded to something else, so Symbiotic Armor just stays in the city (right?)

However, technically speaking, its ability doesn't say it requires it to be attached to the mastermind. If I defeat the mastermind when Symbiotic Armor is in the city, does the armor's ability still trigger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First one, right, he stays in the city,lucky you!

The Ambush Effect only triggers when the villain enters the city.

So if you defeat the Mastermind while Symbiotic Armor is in the city, the Symbiotic Armor's Ambush effect would not trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes intuitive sense to me that the Armor's effect wouldn't occur if it's not attached to the mastermind, but I don't see how the rules back that interpretation up.

Notably, your argument (that ambush only triggers when they enter the city) could be used to argue that the effect doesn't occur even if bonded with the mastermind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
It makes intuitive sense to me that the Armor's effect wouldn't occur if it's not attached to the mastermind, but I don't see how the rules back that interpretation up.

Notably, your argument (that ambush only triggers when they enter the city) could be used to argue that the effect doesn't occur even if bonded with the mastermind.

The rules do back the interpretation, Ambush effects only occur when a Villain enters the city, even if enters for the second or third time (rise of the living dead for example)

It´s not an active ability of the villain that is always active. This for the first part your question

For the second part:

But if the Ambush effect did occur, and if it had bonded to the the Mastermind then you do what it says there: This Symbiote Bonds with the Mastermind. When you fight the Mastermind, defeat Symbiotic Armor and KO one of your Heroes instead of taking a Tactic

You would not avoid doing that after the Ambush effect already occur and activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think maybe you're misunderstanding my question. I'm not asking if the ambush ability would happen again. It's in the city, it's stuck there. We agree on that.

The question is the second part of the ability (if you defeat the mastermind, ...). This part doesn't say it only occurs if the armor is bonded with the mastermind. It just says you do a thing when you defeat the mastermind.

Contrast with, say:

hypothetical unambiguous ambush text wrote:
Ambush: This Symbiote Bonds with the Mastermind. When you fight the Mastermind, if this is symbiote bonded with it, defeat Symbiotic Armor and KO one of your Heroes instead of taking a Tactic.

(my addition in bold)

For that matter, I feel like the second part shouldn't be in the ambush ability in the first place since it's triggering off of an entirely different event long after ambush happened, but I'm not in charge of templating for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me i do not see any problem with it.

For me the Ambush explains what happens when it does and the consequences of it.

I do not see it has also happening the second part even if this villain would be on the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Inlow
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I can see the problem
They are two separate triggers. One is the ambush when the card comes out, the other is when you fight the mastermind. I definitely see the confusion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Medaris
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally get the confusion.

However, since it's under the Ambush umbrella, I think I would go with Fernando's approach. If UD wanted it to operate as Ian is suggesting, they could have placed it as separate text from the Ambush effect. I have to assume this language being part of the Ambush text is intentional unless UD posts a correction of some sort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why you're all focusing so much on the fact that it's an Ambush ability. That's not really salient one way or the other. It's a red herring.

The ambush effect will happen, no matter what. The only variable is whether the villain bonds or not. You could even delete the part about bonding entirely and, hypothetically, it should work exactly the same.

another hypothetical wrote:
Ambush: When you fight the Mastermind, defeat Symbiotic Armor and KO one of your Heroes instead of taking a Tactic.

This highlights how bizarre the placement of the effect is, but it still reads exactly the same. There's no reference to being bonded whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.