Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guido Hansen
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am happy to announce that Sands of the Past has been released. For those of you who missed the previews we posted over the last months: Sands of the Past is an expansion for Descent: Journeys in the Dark 2nd edition developed by Erik Burigo (Painkeeper) and myself.

Sands of the Past provides components for competitive play against an human overlord as well as a new variant to play standard campaigns cooperatively without an overlord. In addition to most components that you would find in an official small box expansion (e.g. new classes, heroes, monsters, and a new campaign) we included everything that you need to cooperatively play the new Sands of the Past quests and the official Heirs of Blood campaign. We call this new coop system Road to Peril, as it is largely based on mechanisms present in the Road to Legend app. However, no electronic device is needed for Road to Peril. As difficulty in Road to Peril is scale-able, it is suitable for people just getting into Descent as well as for expert players looking for a new challenge.

Sands of the Past is free
, however, besides the base game you need the Labyrinth of Ruin expansion. I put together printable pdfs that include everything you need to start playing.

Link to the Sands of the Past website

The SotP website should give a good impression what components of the expansion look like and provides more details. The download links are also over there.

We hope you enjoy and would be grateful for any feedback.

Sands of the Past has been extensively play-tested and undergone rigorous proofreading. If you still find something (typos, inconsistencies, whatever) do not hesitate to contact us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the work you have done Sadgit and Painkeeper (and all of the other contributors). I'm pretty sure this expansion will be on par with official ones (if not even better) quality wise.

As a note, if you own Mists of Bilehall and Chains that Rust, there finally is a use for the duplicate terrified condition tokens. Simply glue the blinded tokens on top
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Tibaldi
Italy
San Donato Milanese
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!!!! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Howell
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent work. I look forward to checking it out!

Thanks for everything.

Dan Howell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I am in awe! Great work guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toots mcgoots
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
This is better news and more exciting than FFG's recent release, thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Tibaldi
Italy
San Donato Milanese
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Sadgit: Splig part in pag. 43 of SotP-large in package II seems the same of the one on pag. 44 (and it seems the wrong one to be there) :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Freeman
msg tools
keen work, dude. very professionally made. ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Hansen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tibia wrote:
@Sadgit: Splig part in pag. 43 of SotP-large in package II seems the same of the one on pag. 44 (and it seems the wrong one to be there) :-)

Thanks for finding this. It has been corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadgit wrote:
tibia wrote:

Yep! I've totally missed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Hansen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Sadgit wrote:
tibia wrote:

Did you just get 50 GeekGold for missing something !?
Lucky bastard.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadgit wrote:
Painkeeper wrote:
Sadgit wrote:
tibia wrote:

Did you just get 50 GeekGold for missing something !?
Lucky bastard.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas James Johnson
United Kingdom
Brighton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadgit wrote:
For those of you who want professionally printed cards I set up a shopping basket at MakePlayingCards.com.

Hi, I'm interested in knowing a little more about this. Like, how does the shopping basket work and where to find it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Hansen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MPC is a company that allows you to print custom decks of cards. You just need to upload all the images for fronts and backs of the cards you want to print. I did that for the three card types in Sands of the Past (small, standard and large cards).
Unfortunately, it is not easy to share these decks. This is only possible if you actively share your shopping basket at MPC with someone. My shopping basket at MPC contains the three decks. If you send me an e-mail address, I can share it with you. You will receive a e-mail from MPC that someone has shared his designs with you. If you click on the provided link, you will be directed to a page that allows you to add the shared designs to your MPC shopping basket and you can have a look and order the cards if you want.

TLDR: Send an e-mail to me and the decks will be put into your MPC shopping basket.

EDIT:
At the moment we are resolving some problems with sharing of the basket. Stay tuned.
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Binkley
msg tools
mb
This is such great work. The quality is top notch. I also want to encourage everyone to just take time to read all the flavor text. Erik’s writing is so descriptive and truly amazing for a non-native English speaker.

Also, rigorous proofreading is an understatement. Haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Hansen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We seem to have a problem with sharing of the shopping basket at MPC. I will try to resolve this asap and will post any progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren6175 wrote:
This is such great work. The quality is top notch. I also want to encourage everyone to just take time to read all the flavor text. Erik’s writing is so descriptive and truly amazing for a non-native English speaker.

Also, rigorous proofreading is an understatement. Haha.

blush Thank you David. But to be honest I've written only a part of the flavor content.
I mostly focused on names for AI activation blocks and Item cards; plus names and fluff text for Trap cards, Rumor cards, and Quest Peril effects.

The remaining material has been written by Sadgit himself, Zaltyre, and others.

And, your proofreading has been like manna from heaven for the project. heart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Parkinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
well done absolutely amazing and thanks for helping me out when I was new to Descent 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Binkley
msg tools
mb
Well, we both know Sadgit is very humble so he always steered credit to someone else. I know Zaltyre deserves credit for the quests and the Psychic. To be honest it is all so good that it would take a while for me to list everything. But I definitely enjoyed proofreading so thanks for the compliment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nippel Hack
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your work. Looks great.

One quick question:
The Barghests only seem to attack when you roll a 3 or 4 on its activation. All other command lists only use 'Howl'. Why don't they at least attack after howling, when moving isn't neccessary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Hansen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NHack2013 wrote:

One quick question:
The Barghests only seem to attack when you roll a 3 or 4 on its activation. All other command lists only use 'Howl'. Why don't they at least attack after howling, when moving isn't neccessary?

Yes, I also found this a bit strange at times.
For Road to Peril we decided not to mess around with the monster activation lists. The ones found on the SotP Monster Activation cards are identical to the activation instructions that are found in the Road to Legend app for all official monster groups.
Also, barghests howling multiple times in combination with the special effects provided can be quite devastating for an unprepared group of heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadgit wrote:
NHack2013 wrote:

One quick question:

Yes, I also found this a bit strange at times.
For Road to Peril we decided not to mess around with the monster activation lists. The ones found on the SotP Monster Activation cards are identical to the activation instructions that are found in the Road to Legend app for all official monster groups.
Also, barghests howling multiple times in combination with the special effects provided can be quite devastating for an unprepared group of heroes.

Just a note to this: As far as I have seen, that Road to Peril activations use the monster type specific activations from Road to Legend.

There are however additional activations in the app, which are based on the combat style of the monster (each monster is either categorized as brawler, skirmisher or ranged).

Each category gives the monster type access to 3 additional combat focused activations, which do not use the special abilities of the monsters. As a sidenote, that's also the reason why for example trolls have an activation, which grants them bonus surges, although they have no surge abilities on their card.

Since Road to Peril does not use these universal activations, some monster types might indeed have few combat focused activations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Hansen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not know that! Are you sure that these generic activations are actually used in the app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
They are definitely used by most monster types, there might be a few exceptions though. I think I might be able to compile a list through Valkyrie, if that would help you (although I'm not 100% sure whether the data in Valkyrie is accurate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Hansen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DelphiDie wrote:
They are definitely used by most monster types, there might be a few exceptions though. I think I might be able to compile a list through Valkyrie, if that would help you (although I'm not 100% sure whether the data in Valkyrie is accurate).

That would be great. We might use that to increase variance a bit in a future release. However, playtesting was perfectly fine without the additional generic activations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.