Popular Tags: [View All]
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Calw
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the latest KS Update comes the announcement of a Classic Edition for The 7th Continent:

Serious Poulp wrote:
For months now, we’ve been receiving daily an influx of messages asking if The 7th Continent will be available again in the future, as well as alerting us about the rampant speculation on the subject on the second-hand market.

Given the cost of producing the game, it still isn’t feasible to offer a version that can be distributed via traditional means. However, we have thought long and hard about if it really wasn’t possible to propose it to these players that only discovered Kickstarter, or board gaming in general, too late to take part in the campaigns. Of course, this would have to be a more “limited” version of the game and one that would be sold directly in order to maintain an “acceptable” price point.

By excluding all the “Kickstarter Exclusive” content (plastic figures, exclusive cards, magnifying glass, etc.) and only keeping the “essential” components of the game, we’ve managed to assemble a “Classic Edition” that will be release in the 4th Quarter, in English and French.

Here you can see everything that this “Classic Edition” will contain, compared to your “Collector” version.

Parallel to this release, three expansions will also be available: “The Icy Maze”, “The Forbidden Sanctuary” and a mini expansion that will contain the introductory “The Crystal Song” curse as well as the new games modes from the “What Goes Up, Must Come Down.” Collector box.

It goes without saying that the Kickstarter exclusive expansion “Swamp of Madness” will not be reprinted.

I think this is a great announcement for everyone who missed the Kickstarter campaign and just wants to experience the game.

edit: Added information about the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Baildon
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't honestly say I'm surprised. Plus a mixture of relief and disappointment - relief that my complete KS copy could be (mostly) replaced if the worst was to happen, and disappointment that the potential resale value of that copy has instantly halved

Even with the costs involved in issuing the replacement cards etc, you'd have thought that the success of this campaign will have given them enough funding to keep some measure of stock on-hand, even for direct sales only (which, don't forget, keeps their margins high due to retailers & distributors not needing their cut of the RRP). By stripping out the minis, they don't need to worry about the plastic, so dice aside, it's "just" card, and therefore cheaper, especially once they take out approximately 1/8th of the cards that were KS stretch goals.

It also looks like they're moving to a more "standard" box dimension, which is probably cheaper for them as well.

It's obvious that the developers have poured their heart into this game, and I think it would be a real shame if a version along these lines didn't exist, because that would limit the effect their efforts could have on the wider gaming public.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with a "dark fantasy" setting next year too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
When did that "Dark Chest of the Damned" curse come out? It looks like that's a rename of "The Black Box" curse (I think), but did that come with the 2nd ed Kickstarter copy? I don't remember having any oversized curse cards at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
phoenixandy wrote:
Even with the costs involved in issuing the replacement cards etc, you'd have thought that the success of this campaign will have given them enough funding to keep some measure of stock on-hand

Keeping stock involves paying for storage space for said stock, though. It also means paying to get all those extra copies shipped to you, then having to ship them back out again. And it's not exactly a small game.

I think they had to really prove ongoing demand for this game so that they could get distributors interested. At least, I'm making the assumption that this is going to get distribution and not just be sold directly. Distributors already have the whole warehousing and shipping thing solved (as well as it can be).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish they'd print all the gameplay content. I feel sad, I have everything for this, but I can never recommend this and that's insane. This edition should be called Poor Man's 7th Continent.

Gaming should not be exclusive. It should be inclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Ponga
Belgium
Bruxelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
When did that "Dark Chest of the Damned" curse come out? It looks like that's a rename of "The Black Box" curse (I think), but did that come with the 2nd ed Kickstarter copy? I don't remember having any oversized curse cards at all.

It's been "Dark Chest of the Damned" since its realease I'd say (Black Box was the 1st KS name, but it was under development back then).

It's not oversized. Just the picture is, to make clear which curse it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ImDarK
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
I just wish they'd print all the gameplay content. I feel sad, I have everything for this, but I can never recommend this and that's insane. This edition should be called Poor Man's 7th Continent.

I agree, but from the moment they created content marked as exclusive to Kickstarter (in 2015!) They had no choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:

It should be, but producing games is a business so you can't ask someone to do something that's going to not be worth their time.

That said, I suspect if they can show demand for the base game, they could sell the extra content as add-ons. The curses would be fairly easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaziu K
msg tools
mb
Looking at this graphics... it looks like it was planned from the beginning(or at least considered). Do I have big problem with it? Rather not. But it leaves a little bitter taste... I would probably buy limited version first, if I knew there will be such possibility. And that game was supposed to be never available again...

Lessons to remember: never, ever believe that successful KS that sold in thousands of copies will be REALLY KS exclusive(see also Batman), one time affair. The publisher KNOW that FOMO of great game is VERY HIGH in our community....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Ponga
Belgium
Bruxelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:

I would recommend it. Why not? The game is great!

And if it comes at a fair price, I would actually recommend spending 40-50€ on this over 300€ in a KS copy in the secondary market... More content is indeed better, but it is not needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pedropuchalski2 wrote:
Looking at this graphics... it looks like it was planned from the beginning(or at least considered).

What does that even mean? You know how easy it would be for them to whip up that graphic?

Conspiracy theory culture has really jumped the shark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Baildon
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
phoenixandy wrote:
Even with the costs involved in issuing the replacement cards etc, you'd have thought that the success of this campaign will have given them enough funding to keep some measure of stock on-hand

Keeping stock involves paying for storage space for said stock, though. It also means paying to get all those extra copies shipped to you, then having to ship them back out again. And it's not exactly a small game.

I think they had to really prove ongoing demand for this game so that they could get distributors interested. At least, I'm making the assumption that this is going to get distribution and not just be sold directly. Distributors already have the whole warehousing and shipping thing solved (as well as it can be).
They said in the update that even in the "cut down" form, it's too expensive to go to retail and would be distributed directly.

As for the storage, I'm certain this is where the change in box shape/size will come in, because that'll mean more boxes per container/pallet, and thus storage of stock will be cheaper per copy.

Perhaps their assessment of the continued demand is that they can afford to pay for storage somewhere, as the sales of those games will more than cover that overhead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:

I feel the opposite, I can safely recommend this edition to my friends who wanted to get the game but were turned away by the high price point. No shame in being unable to afford the full version but still wanting to play. For completionists, there are always secondhand sales. SP said ages ago that they wouldn't reprint and this seems an excellent compromise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ImDarK
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pedropuchalski2 wrote:
Looking at this graphics... it looks like it was planned from the beginning(or at least considered). Do I have big problem with it? Rather not. But it leaves a little bitter taste... I would probably buy limited version first, if I knew there will be such possibility. And that game was supposed to be never available again...

Lessons to remember: never, ever believe that successful KS that sold in thousands of copies will be REALLY KS exclusive(see also Batman), one time affair. The publisher KNOW that FOMO of great game is VERY HIGH in our community....
I don't really understand ... All that was marketed as "ks exclusive" will not be reprinted so from then on what is exactly the problem ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaziu K
msg tools
mb
jepmn wrote:
pedropuchalski2 wrote:
Looking at this graphics... it looks like it was planned from the beginning(or at least considered).

What does that even mean? You know how easy it would be for them to whip up that graphic?

Conspiracy theory culture has really jumped the shark.

Thats silly answer... I don't mean the graphics itself, but how the content/difference was/is planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chenery
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
FIRST WIN
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... I probably wouldn't have gone all in if I knew this was going to be a thing. Oh well lesson learned. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaziu K
msg tools
mb
ImDarKK wrote:
pedropuchalski2 wrote:

I don't really understand ... All that was marketed as "ks exclusive" will not be reprinted so from then on what is exactly the problem ?

I don't have problem with it. But thing I'm talking about is that the last KS and late place(+opened again) was supposed to be the last chance to get this game(excluding second hand of course). Wasn't it? But it is good that more people will play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Gaki
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny how the last KS campaign was "your last chance… to get cursed".

Quote:
However, we wanted to give you another opportunity to get your hands on it: your last chance… to get cursed.

Then late pledge, online shop, new edition, new game with the same concept ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kiyoshi
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have no problems with more people being able to play. Hell, if they wanted to make the KS exclusive stuff available as a SP shop exclusive I'd be fine with that too.

I hope they continue to make a curse or two every year or so, maybe with a mini expansion. Nothing major, just some continued support to keep expanding the continent and bringing us back to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
There will be no explanation.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Genuinely surprised they are doing this, consider they tanked the value of the base game by giving every backer a second copy of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Crane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:

gaming by it's nature is a more elite hobby. It costs money, in cases of games like this a lot of money. Then it takes a lot of physical space to place, and then to store. Not to mention reading comprehension skills to play most games. I'm not really sure why people think gaming should be or is inclusive, this is the most elite hobby I have and if nothing else the cost and space requirements will keep it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Will definitely lower the value of those replacement cards/originial cards that are being sold currently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These seems like a good idea, except for one thing. It makes no sense that the introductory scenario, Crystal Song, will be sold as an expansion. That absolutely ought to be in the base Classic set.

EDIT: And Prodigy mode also ought to go in the new base set.

On reflection, there is one other drawback. When this is released, the forum will be flooded for months with posts about how to combine various versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
On reflection, there is one other drawback. When this is released, the forum will be flooded for months with posts about how to combine various versions.

I just bought this game. Which cards should I sleeve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |