Subject: Altitude rules for WOW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Ok seen alot of people asking about the lack of altitude rules. I came up with some that wont slow the game down and are very simple...i apologize ahead of time if anyone else has posted similar ones.

First get a dice for every plane in the battle and place one on the card representing each airplane...could be on the card itself or the damage station card on the side lines.
Now 6 represents the max altitude for a plane and 1 represents flying just above the ground.
rules are as follows.

1. Every plane starts at level 3 (of course you can make scenerios that change this to represent different situations)

2. To climb a plane must make a straight menuever. While descending a plane can make any menuever other than those considered steep (because you cant be descending and climbing at the same time)

3. Only one level can be climbed or descended per action (per menuever played)

4. If a plane climbs you halve the length of the straight menuever. The slowest straight menuever being the planes slowest forward climb.(ie if the plane uses a full forward movement card it would only move half the length of the card, if the plane is using the small forward movement card it moves the full distance.)

5. If descending the length of the straight movement cards are doubled. Any other menuever is as the card states.(ie diving turn just lower the altitude and move the plane as the card states)

6. If your not on the same level as your apponant you must be climbing or descending towards them to make an attack on them.

7. Each level of altitude equals on half the length of the measuring stick for shooting. Distances are measured from the level a plane would be at after the change in altitude. The damage values according to the length on the measuring stick remain the same.

8. If diving on a target while attacking add one damage card to the attack

9. If attacking a target from below the damage remains the same.

10. Two seater aircrafts rear seats can attack targets at the same level or above them but not below.

11. menuevers that require setups(ie. immelmann which requires you to fly straight before performing it) cannot be performed after climbing but can be performed after after dives but all card requirements still have to be met.

12. Lastly, If two planes overlap and are at the same level after the menuevers are played, then a collision occurs and both planes recieve 4 A damage cards.

These rules have literally add amazing amounts of depth to the game. There not to hard to follow and don't seem to slow the game down at all. You can even introduce terrain such as mountains or buildings and set there level at dice hieghts, if a plane is directly over the building or mountain and at the height or lower it collides with it. Bombers or recon could be required to be at a specific altitude. The ways you can use these rules are limitless. Use all of them or just a few of them as you see fit...good hunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Re:Altitude rules for WOW
Xasher (#40461),
One rule i forgot to put in my above...if a person forgets their at level one and descends they collide with the ground and are destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks a lot. So you tested the, didn't you?

But one thing I am not sure about. Do everybody plans to gain or loose altitude in the planning phase? Do you put counters on your consolle? Do you secretly write on a leaflet?

Xasher wrote:
Xasher (#40461),
One rule i forgot to put in my above...if a person forgets their at level one and descends they collide with the ground and are destroyed.

Except if... We merge it with the "Landings and take offs" rule that somebody else already tested. Maybe it just need a bit of editing to be made compliant wit the rules above...

At the start of the game, set the limits of a landing field. It should be at least 9 x 27 cm. Draw on the table or put a sheet of paper of the right shape. This could represent a real airfield or just a nice spot where somebody is waiting for rescue...

Landing: the player must plan a straight maneuver just after reaching 0 altitude, then a stall, then the blank maneuver card that it is inside the box (if you do not have it just play a restricted and it count as a blank). Since it reaches 0 altitude, the plane is considered on the ground. At this point the movement for that turn ends, even if there would be more phases.
If in the moment it lands the red dot is inside the airflield ok, if it is outside the plane crashes (see above).

Take off: the plane must start with the red dot inside the landing field. The player must plan a stall, then a straight maneuver (he is still on the ground), then another straight (he is now altitude 1). At this point the player can play any other maneuver he wants.
If the player wants to start taking off in the second or third phase, just play one or two blank cards or non-stall maneuvers befor the stall, and consider them as no effect blank cards. If the player has the red dot inside the airfield and just pretend to take off without doing it (the plane is there with engine on and redy to start) just put three of them: the plane can't be moved or turned that turn.

Crashes while on the ground: if an airplane ends with its central red dot out of the landing field while it is on the ground and it is taking off (after the stall or the first straight) or landing (after the second straight or the stall), it crashes. It takes 2 A Damage cards (4 B ones if you do not have an A deck) if it happens with the stall, 3 A cards (or 6 Bs) if after the straight: take into account damage points, explosions and fire, but ignore all other special damages. The plane is now considered grounded and it has to be completely still for all the next turn. If it is not destroyed, it can be moved or turned, or start a new take off, from the second next turn onward.

Planes on the ground: while on the ground, planes can not fire but they can be fired at. During the second phase, before any maneuver card is revealed, the owner can move and turn the plane card freely, but the red dot at the center must remain in a point of the table that was covered by that same plane card at the start of the turn.

Collisions: if after movement two planes on the ground overlap and at least one of them was taking off or landing, both of them take 2 A Damage cards (4 B ones if you do not have an A deck) each. Ignore special damages except explosions and fire.

Fire on the ground: a plane can not take off if it is on fire. At the start of each turn, before considering fire damage, take an A damage card (a B if an A is not available): don't consider damage or anything, but if it is a 0 take away a flame counter without taking any damage in exchange for it. This means that the crew and/or ground staff of the airport managed to estinguish part of the fire. If one or more counters are left, trade one for the damage as in the basic booklet.
At the end of the turn, if a plane on the ground that is on fire overlaps one or more planes not on fire that are on the ground, the latter take two flame counters (each, if they are more than one).

What do you think?

Thanks again,

Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
angiolillo (#40467),I think there great!

To answer your question i made u and d tokens and you put them under the card when you place the menuever card on the table...so when revealed the intent of the altitude change is revealed when the card is picked up.

Heres another one...immelmans can either be performed as stated or by putting an up-u token under the card they can be considered loops...when the plane gets to the top of the immelman you up the altitude of the aircraft by one. you still need to follow it with a straight card but if the straight card is a dive you have performed a looping menuever. If you dont dive with the straight card you have climbed rolled and are cruising at a higher altitude. You have to think ahead a bit to perform these menuevers but it adds to the game.

In actuality you can recreate just about any menuever using these altitude rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Xasher (#40469),
I screwed up the rule in my last sorry...i meant to say after you perform the immelman in the looping menuever you perfor a straight menuever than follow it by another diving immelmann to perform a looping menuever.

Another thing i play tested the rules with two different versions if you have alot of planes in the combat use them as stated. but if you find that theres alot of flying but not much shooting consider changing the firing distant rules to:

1. You can fire on a enemy who is up to two levels different from your own hieght..so one level you can use the full length of the ruler firing rules dont change....two levels you can fire up to 1/2 the ruler away...and you need only dive or climb to attack your apponant if their 2 or more levels from your own level...it allows the people to attack one another from further away.

Both versions work well the second one works better in smaller battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xasher (#40471),
thanks again. Some simulations allow also to make Immelmanns going down instead of up (the correct name fir that version is Split-S).

I'll try to playtest with Pier Giorgio!

Bye bye,

A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
angiolillo (#40489),
Just remember diving doubles the distance you travel so on the dive after the immelmann you need to double the length of the straight after it.
You can also do multiple loops using my above suggestions but you should put a two limit on these.

These rules will also allow you to incorporate brick dropping and dragging a hook below your plane as you mentioned in article #39771 and art. #39601.

Rules for these can be created real easily.

Let me know what you think and if you find a problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xasher (#40494),

I'm not sure any of the aircraft depicted had the horsepower to do two loops in a row even after gaining speed on the backside of the first one. The Sopwith Camel and Triplane and Fokker triplanes as well as Nieuports were powered by relatively low horsepower rotary engines. Perhaps the Spads, Se5 and Fokker D VII could. Anybody else have more knowledge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.