Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this long ago in another thread but decided to submit this here now.

I've seen some people complaining about luck in dice roll in Stone Age (although I think the real luck in the game is in the order of the cards). Well, there's a simple solution for that, if that's a problem to you.

Instead of rolling dice for production, consider as result 3.5 times the number of workers, rounding down the result. For example, for 2 workers the result would be 3.5 x 2 = 7, for 3 workers 3.5 x 3 = 10.5 = 10. If doing the math bothers anyone, you can print the following table:

Workers - Result
1 - 3
2 - 7
3 - 10
4 - 14
5 - 17
6 - 21
7 - 24
8 - 28
9 - 31
10 - 35

In fact, those results are statistically sound, and the chance of the table above be more accurate increases with the number of workers used. So, usually the dice results tend to the table above in the long run.

Of course, as usual you can use tools to increase the totals of the table above.

I myself don't recommend this variant, as some imprevisibility is welcome in my point of view, but if it bothers anyone, this variant can solve the problem of luck with the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brito wrote:
I've seen some people complaining about luck in dice roll in Stone Age...
If that's true, I find that really weird. The gameplay mechanics are all about pushing your luck and luck mitigation, and (as you say) adapting on the fly to poor results.

If a person doesn't like that in their game, I'd probably just tell them Stone Age isn't for them.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your ideas and enthusiasm, and I supposed BGG is built on issues just like this, so well done!

But if a player didn't like word games, I'd tell them not to play Scrabble, I wouldn't try to come up with a variant for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
brito wrote:
I've seen some people complaining about luck in dice roll in Stone Age...
If that's true, I find that really weird. The gameplay mechanics are all about pushing your luck and luck mitigation, and (as you say) adapting on the fly to poor results.

If a person doesn't like that in their game, I'd probably just tell them Stone Age isn't for them.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your ideas and enthusiasm, and I supposed BGG is built on issues just like this, so well done! :D

But if a player didn't like word games, I'd tell them not to play Scrabble, I wouldn't try to come up with a variant for it ;)

Well, I agree with most of what you say. You can see that I myself say that I don't recommend the variant, so I am understanding your use of the word "enthusiasm" is ironic.

I posted this idea in an ancient thread where someone was asking for a recommendation of a game like Stone Age, but without luck in the dice. I thought at the time that my idea could make sense to that guy.

Anyway, for some reason I remembered that today, and as I see potential for this to be of service to some people, I decided to post it here as a variant, even if I am not supporting my own idea very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
game design brainstorm hat on - just spitting out ideas here...

An idea just popped into my head. This may radically change stone age too much, but still felt like sharing. What if each resource gathering area had a counter for each player. Every time a player places a dude in that area, the counter goes up 3 ticks. This counter never resets, but when it reaches 2-3-4-5-6 for food-wood-brick-stone-gold, that player receives the appropriate resource.

For example, I have one guy left over after placing all my dudes to do other stuff. I put him in the gold field. I don't get any gold this turn, but I get 3 counters towards one. On a later turn, when I do need gold, I can place a guy there for the other 3 pips/counters.

The image in my head had a track on the board, but it might be easier if each player had 15 cubes in their color. When resolving actions, place cubes equal to the remaining unused pips. There should never be more cubes than pt value - 1.

No dice randomness. A little bit of advanced planning added. Do lose the effect of wasted pips. *shrug*

thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an in-law who didn't like cheese on her pizza. Strange world...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Quinonez
United States
Woodland Hills
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I like the original, I am intrigued by this idea.

I do know some people who have tried their own similar variant.

Every two meeples on a resource area is an automatic 7. Remaining meeples still need a dice like normal. For example, three meeples on wood means a 7 + one die for the third worker.

They like it, I have yet to try it, but does seem like a slight compromise between original rules and people who think it's too much luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls