Subject: I am a Heroscaper rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: heroscape [+] coffindodger [+] [View All]
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen and replied to the post "I'm a wargamer" and thoroughly enjoyed it. It gave me a rare insight into the people who share wargaming as a hobby and provided some humourous annecdotes about the pschye of those who push cardboard.

Now, I must take the premis that Heroscape is a wargame and ask how many of you "serious" wargamers also enjoy a good stramash over Heroscape terrain?

Again, I am a wargamer of the old school and I just love Heroscape.

I provide my entry for the "I'm a wargamer" thread below:

I am a retired marketing manager, writer of articles for historical magazines, philanderer, happily re-married divorcee, father of four legitimate children, unreformed peripatetic, male chauvinist pig, propagator of furure gamers, English teacher to Korean graduates (they are the ones who speak the Queen's English with a Scottish accent), a black belt in coffin-dodging and a Wargamer.

I have spent twenty years in Papua New Guinea and survived with both testicles intact.

Most of all, I enjoy wargaming.

Kindest regards,

Jim O'Neill
Est. 1949

Now who shall join me in celebrating the one game that I seriously enjoy playing with my kids?

With kindest regards,

Jim O'Neill
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Jim,

I am a 'wargamer', but do enjoy Heroscape as well, it is a much lighter and funner game, but still gives me the strategy factor that I need for it to be fun for me. I also find that my son really likes it as well (age 13) and we have a ball playing as well (he also plays the more complex games as well, but Heroscape just is a great game that is more fun than it is work).

Derek...
Not Est. 1949
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paragon Games wrote:
Hello Jim,

I am a 'wargamer', but do enjoy Heroscape as well, it is a much lighter and funner game, but still gives me the strategy factor that I need for it to be fun for me. I also find that my son really likes it as well (age 13) and we have a ball playing as well (he also plays the more complex games as well, but Heroscape just is a great game that is more fun than it is work).

Derek...
Not Est. 1949

I also love taking the occasional photograph...

Take care,

Jim
Definitely Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a wargamer, writer and artist...

and I'm a Heroscaper!

Here's a shot of a few of my buddies playing at my house to prove it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jim,

Im an wargamer who also enjoys Heroscape. With a family of five, I don't get to do as much of either as I would like, but given a long open weekend, one or the other will hit the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Currently my soon to be 14 year old son and I have reconstructed a (2 Masters Set w/Castle) scenario that consumes our entire dining room table that seats eight. I seriously think we may have to consider eating Thanksgiving dinner infront of the TV this year instead.

For myself, I've assembled an Orc (UTGAR) team roughly consisting of Heavies, Arrows w/Swog, Grimnak, Krug(maybe) and Ornak. It looks as though my son is considering a Roman theme (EINAR), including Legionaires, Archers, Sacred Band, Marcus and Parmenio. My husband has expressed and interest in playing and I'll most likely through together a (JANDAR) team of Knights of Weston, Templars (he likes these), Denrick and Sir Gilbert. These are rough ideas and still need tweeking. This is truely a house divided here in the Ludwick household as my son has been 'smack-talking' us all week regarding how he's going to go about 'taking-us-out'.

We've been envolved with Heroscape since its inception and when we get EVERYTNING out and assemble... we are committed for the long haul. Great fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
Now, I must take the premis that Heroscape is a wargame and ask how many of you "serious" wargamers also a good stramash over Heroscape terrain?

I must take issue with you categorizing HS as a wargame.

I've vacillated back and forth with HS on the wargame term, and even described it as a "light miniatures wargame", but really - who are we kidding?

HS is not a wargame.
Any more than Memoir '44 is a wargame.

They are way too simplified and the combat is abstracted to a point that removes the complexity/distance-measuring/painting/terrain-creation aspects which define wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Heroscape is a wonderful kids game. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I call myself a wargamer even though I've never painted a miniature and the only things I ever measured were other men. I ran a men's clothing store for 10 years. Sheesh, what were you thinking?

To date, I have acquired 414 Heroscape figures, squads and uniques, worth almost 15,000 points. I've played a half a dozen games since 2005. In two weeks I play in my first tournament with a 500 pt army.

Either the buying or the tournament play should qualify me as... a HEROSCAPER!

Ok, maybe not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt K
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do wargames have to have a complex manual of rules to be considered a wargame? I think not. It is all about theme and strategy planning. While I agree, Heroscape is extremely light on the rules side, which is why I like it, it is, at it's base a wargame. There is nothing about this game that is not warlike. It is all about creating the best army and strategy to take the other side out. That hardly sounds like a toy or Euro game to me.

I understand that this does not fit the traditional "wargame" definition, but it does share the same basic mechanics as the much heralded heavy wargames, just without supply, sieges or other mechanics built in to add complexity and depth to the scenario. It does have line of sight, distance-measuring (range)and since when is painting a requriement. Thank god these come pre-painted! And terrain creation - for a pull out of the box and play game, it has a lot of terrain creation so I'm not sure where you were going with that. Heroscape is the wargame that wargames hate to love.

reapersaurus wrote:
[q="oneilljgf"]Now, I must take the premis that Heroscape is a wargame and ask how many of you "serious" wargamers also a good stramash over Heroscape terrain?

I must take issue with you categorizing HS as a wargame.

I've vacillated back and forth with HS on the wargame term, and even described it as a "light miniatures wargame", but really - who are we kidding?

HS is not a wargame.
Any more than Memoir '44 is a wargame.

They are way too simplified and the combat is abstracted to a point that removes the complexity/distance-measuring/painting/terrain-creation aspects which define wargaming.[/q

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Jim.

I am a *reformed* old-school wargamer, who has now seen the light and given it up for something I enjoy - Heroscape. The fact that my partner enjoys it, and my daughter enjoys it, and I don't have to spend 7 years painting an army (and after 7 years, it looked GREAT but STILL wasn't completely finished) are all important bonusses.

Assuming that "old-school" means having played through the obligatory Featherstone and Quarrie rulesets, owning one too many Grant-authored scenario books and being on speaking terms with Barker, all while cultivating an ability to look down on Warhammer players as not being "proper" wargamers and choking quietly everytime someone calls a cardboard-counter affair a "wargame".

But I'm afraid that I wouldn't sully my herosacpe terrain by tring to play a "proper" wargame on it. I have lots of money invested in carefully-flocked hill pieces, that allow my figures to slide gently down the slope, to waste all that time settting up Heroscape hexes and then spoil the experience by adding little lead soldiers. If I'm going to set up some Heroscape, I'm going to PLAY Heroscape, darn it.

And if some disaster wiped out all my painted armies (some by me, more were professionally painted back when I had this stuff called "money"), and ate mt boardgames collection, I'd not cry too much so long as my Heroscape stuff was left intact. But cause the loss of a single Sir Hawthorne or Nerak and I'd be devastated. Every bit as much s my daughter is if I try and tell her "No, you can't use the dragon AND the dinosaur today - pick something different for once."

Here's some pictures of me sort-of playing Heroscape with my terrain collection:

http://richarddblog.blogspot.com/2007/09/uk-games-expo-june-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
[q="oneilljgf"]They are way too simplified and the combat is abstracted to a point that removes the .../painting/terrain-creation aspects which define wargaming.

So old wargames that use chits aren't really wargames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Heroscape is 100% ameritrash.
It does not simulate a conflict at all, so would not qualify as a wargame.

I believe it is a conflict of good vs evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is a light wargame. It can get complex remembering the special abilities of the characters and units.

But on the other hand, it must not be a wargame, since my wife will play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Heroscape is 100% ameritrash.
It does not simulate a conflict at all, so would not qualify as a wargame.

It certainly is an outlet for conflict in my house no matter how one defines it. When two kids (and a big kid) can tear lumps out of each other's armies, that spells wargame to me.

I play "serious" hex and counter wargames and am an avid miniature gamer so I can respect a more "serious" definition of wargame for the purists, but this game affords me time with the wee ones and sure as hell plays a lot better than some of the "true" wargames.

Regards,

Jim O'Neill
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:

Now, I must take the premis that Heroscape is a wargame and ask how many of you "serious" wargamers also enjoy a good stramash over Heroscape terrain?

Again, I am a wargamer of the old school and I just love Heroscape.

I find myself agreeing with you on many threads, Jim, and this is no exception. I truly love historical wargames, but I enjoy other games as well.

My youngest son (who is 19) isn't interested in wargames with long rule sets, but he enjoys games like HeroScape. We've played several times, and always had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo Jim:

I am not so concerned with whether this is a "wargame" or not... for that matter lets call it "pickles". The name matters not. While others debate the classification of the game, I am playing it. My name is Matt, and I am a Heroscaper!

I have been playing heroscape for over 2 and a half years and the obsession is not waning. Our massive collection of terrain and figs has completely taken over one room of our house. But that matters not for my name is Matt, and I am a Heroscaper!!!

Our gaming group has carvved Monday Night as HeroScape night in Regina Saskatchewan. We forego the variety of other games on Monday night and had to resort to a second game night weekly for other games. But that matters not for my name is Matt, and I am a Heroscaper!!!

We look forward to every new release of terrain and figs with great anticipation. WIth bank accounts depleted we continue to forge into new map making heights and scenario delights. I celebrate that, for my name is Matt, and I am a Heroscaper!!!

Again, Bravo Jim. I have now spoken the words. I have uttered my habit. The monkey is off my back, I am not a closet player. I wear my hex with pride. I am a HeroScaper.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamer, Ameritrasher, AND Heroscaper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.