Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Kelly
United States
Madison
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the knocks on this game is the weird compensation thing where you're essentially rewarded for getting your ass kicked. Has anyone tried simply scrapping the compensation altogether? I'd be curious to hear what effect it had on the game.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
muppaphone wrote:
One of the knocks on this game is the weird compensation thing where you're essentially rewarded for getting your ass kicked. Has anyone tried simply scrapping the compensation altogether? I'd be curious to hear what effect it had on the game.

Thanks.

It's not that you are rewarded for getting your ass kicked. It's that the other players have incentive not to pick on one player repeatedly. If I get attacked twice in a row, I get some compensation. But the compensation is seldom makes up for what is lost in the attack.

I think compensation works great as is and see no need to remove it.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, that sounds like an objection mostly on theme grounds and support on game balance grounds.

Is there a justification within theme?

I'm guessing (without yet having played this game at all) that compensation was added during playtesting and that the game suffers without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think equality was big in Rome. In Hannibal, all Consuls must have 5 legions. They will not leave another Consul with less than 5, and you must place new legions with Consuls that have less than 5.

So if Caesar beats up on Pompeius, Rome helps out Pompeius. I think the disconnect is the use of the word "competence", as if a player "gets better at something" because he got beat up. "Support" seems too strong. "Sympathy" seems to wierd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't people learn from their defeats? That's always how I interpreted it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:

Yes, but in the game, having military or political competence does not feed back into actual military or political actions. So it doesn't feel like it's learning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kelly
United States
Madison
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:

Thank you for this. I really like this game and I just wanted a shade of a justification for the rule (beyond balance).

This is what I was fishing for. Now it doesn't bug me quite so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.