Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Fireborn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am interested in any ideas you all have for playing Magic with groups of friends.

My friends and I have several magic cards from back when we used to collect. Some have many more than others and so we were trying to think of a way to have 4 or more players play in an even match and get the excitement of trading and building up your collection again (which is much of the fun). I was thinking that we could initially choose about 300 cards that we would put into an auction for which the players would take turns bidding to get the cards to create their initial deck. Each player starts with the same number of auctioning tokens to allow that phase to work. Then the players could trade amongst each other after all the cards have been distributed. Then we all play in a bracketed tournament. The winner gets to keep one card from the losers deck (chosen at random).
We could then go back and auction or randomly distribute out some more cards, trade, then play again. This could go on for many sessions.
I have heard of Magic tournaments but what are the rules for them (please give me a link to the rules)? If you have any ideas for how I could pull off a variant like this or if you have any tips for conducting tournaments with your friends please add them here. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Beauvais
United States
Maynard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Multiplayer Variant Ideas?
fireborn (#40519),

Once a month, I construct "fake boosters" from a particular block in my collection. Each pack of 15 cards contains 11 commons, 3 uncommons and a rare (just like real boosters).

Each player (5-6 in my group) gets 5 boosters when they arrive, and they construct a 40-card minimum (adding basic lands as necessary) deck. We then play a double-elimination tournament.

Another format that you might like is drafting. You'll need 3 boosters (instead of 5) per person.

Players sit in a circle and open one booster at a time. Each player selects ("drafts") one card from the booster he or she opens and then passes the rest to the left. Then each player drafts a card from the 14-card pack passed to them and passes the remaining 13 cards to the left. This continues until everyone has 15 cards.

Repeat the process (except passing to the right instead) for the second booster. Then repeat once more, passing to the left again, for the final booster. Players now have 45 drafted cards each, and they construct a 40-card minimum (including basic lands) deck. Proceed as above.

There are other formats as well, but these are the most common ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Silva
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Neil Peart, the God of Drums
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Multiplayer Variant Ideas?
fireborn (#40519),
A good variant we use, though without any sort of draft, is called Emperor. You need six players, two teams of three sitting side by side(ie three per side). The one in the middle is the "Emperor", and they can't be touched until one of the generals on either side of them is killed. Spell and effect ranges are just to people adjacent to the caster, so, for example, Howling Mine cast by an Emperor would only effect his generals, unless one of them was dead....
During the "declare attackers" phase of your turn, you could move a creature to an adjacent ally instead of attacking with it. It arrives tapped, and untaps during the turn of the player it's now in front of. It is still controlled by the owning player, but does whatever it does during the turn of the player it's now in front of. The owning player still has to pay upkeep on it if necessary, and pays all other costs associated with its' use. When a player is eliminated, any creatures they have in front of someone else are also eliminated, but if you have any creatures in front of them, they return to you, tapped. Game is over when an Emperor is eliminated. No sharing of cards in hand, or coaching of allies.
This version has been played in our group several times, and is resolved much quicker(and so much more fun) than a big free for all. It's also a blast!
Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.