Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
1297 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [52] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » Werewolf

Subject: "Hi, I want to play Werewolf online." #220 - for the new and the improving! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An eleven-player, low-complexity game of Werewolf with full role reveal on death!

Good Roles:

Seer
- Each night receives a view of a target player and learns whether or not they are a Wolf. The seer receives a view on Night 0 of one randomly chosen player that is not a wolf. Thereafter, the seer chooses which player to view. If the seer is not present, has an invalid order in, or does not give an order, they will receive a random negative view out of all players who were alive after lynch.

Hunter - If only two players remain in the game and the hunter is one of those players, then the good team wins even if the other player is a werewolf. He is brutal when killed. The brutal kill is mandatory. If there is no order in modchat, then it will be selected at random.

Martyr - Each night, may choose one player, and if that player is targeted for the night kill, the martyr will die in his place. The martyr may choose the same person consecutively without restriction. Notice that martyr does not work to stop lynches or the brutal ability. He must have a valid order in for his ability to function, but his orders persist - a protect order put in one night would still be in effect the next night if it hadn't been canceled.

5 Villagers - Ordinary villagers with no special powers or traits.

Evil Roles:

2 Werewolves
- The werewolves know each other's identity and have a chat in Cassandra. Each night the wolves choose one target player to kill. There is no kill on Night 0. If there is a werewolf alive, the last valid night kill order will go through - even if the last player to place a night kill order has died since the order was given.

The first wolf to be killed is mandatorily brutal. If there is no order in modchat, the brutal kill will be selected randomly from all of the non-wolves. The brutal is a shared order like the nightkill, and the last valid order entered by either wolf will take effect.

In the case where the only surviving Werewolf player is unavailable or has an invalid order in, the moderator will enact random NKs from all available non-wolves. If the dead Werewolf player has not been given access to spoilers, they may set the nightkill or brutal instead.

If the wolves attempt to NK the Sorcerer-Cultist, then their action will not succeed and no nightkill will take place that dawn. NOTE! The Sorcerer-Cultist is immune to the NK, the Wolves's NK will not "auto-fail" if it targets the Sorcerer. (In other words, if the martyr protects the sorcerer-cultist and the sorcerer-cultist is targeted for NK, the martyr still dies.)

Sorcerer-Cultist - The sorcerer knows the identity of the werewolves and wins with them, even if dead. Each night, he may view a player and be told the target player's exact role. He gets a random N0 view of a villager. The Sorcerer-Cultist cannot die from the wolves' NK ability, but can be killed by their brutal ability.


Victory Conditions:

Good - All good players win if all werewolves are eliminated, or if the last two players remaining are the hunter and one werewolf.

Evil - All evil players win if the wolves achieve parity: if at any time the number of wolves remaining equals the number of non-wolves remaining. However, if one wolf is left with the hunter, then good wins.

Brutal Rules:

- All brutal roles have a freeform entry box as well as the normal order dropdown of names, and should keep two (or more) targets. This is done by selecting the primary target in the drop down, then typing the names of backup targets into the box. In the event the primary target is already dead when your brutal fires (either at a previous phase or because they are the one brutalling YOU), your backup target will be used instead.

- In the endgame scenario where there is: 1 Hunter, 1 Wolf, and 1 other non-wolf (Villager, Good special, Sorcerer), and the Hunter is killed and targets the wolf, the wolf will be killed, and good wins. Parity will be checked after all processing is complete.

Lynch time: 4:00pm BGG
Night Action Deadline: 5:00pm BGG

Weekend Policy: No game actions will process over the American weekend, although players will be free to post and use chats as desired.

Please let me know if you have any questions!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lynch Rules:

Each day players vote for one player to be lynched. The player receiving the most votes is killed. If there is a tie between two or more players, we use a tiebreaker abbreviated to LHLV (longest held last vote). We look at the last vote cast on each of the tied players, and whichever of those votes was there first breaks the tie. Please note that Cassy by default will list tied players in LHLV order in her tallies.

Each player's final vote cast with the dusk time time-stamp or before are counted. (Example: if the dusk time is 6pm BGG, all votes with a timestamp of 6:00pm will count.) Votes cast after this time are invalid. Votes made during the night phase are invalid.

All votes must conform to the Cassandra Vote Tally System rules, which will be posted just before the game starts.

If enough living players [vote nightfall] (the Cassandra function to lock your vote) that the lynch result cannot be changed, it will speed up the dusk. Even after sufficient nightfalls for early dusk, you may continue talking in thread until the moderator arrives to post [dusk]. This is an exception to the usual nightfall rules you will find in other games on this site, and is for the purpose of being able to explain what is happening and why to each other.

Night Orders:

Wolves, Seer, Martyr, and Sorcerer-Cultist must all submit their night orders by Dawn. Players can do this by using the Cassandra Game Order system in the Cassandra Chat System. If you would like to use conditional orders, this is permitted as long as you understand that conditional orders can only be used on information that is available to the player at the time the order is due. (Enter conditional orders through the freeform entry box, with things such as, "View Player X if Player K is lynched, otherwise view Player B". The mod will try to keep up with things you put just in mod chat, but can't guarantee to have noticed/remembered them!)

The Hunter and the Wolves should strive to always keep a valid brutal order as well as a backup target.

If all living players (including those without night actions) click on the 'Lock Game Actions' button it will speed up Dawn.

Replacement Rules:

Anyone who does not participate at least once between the posting of dusk and the next business day's proof of life time will be put up for replacement. Minimal participation in the game requires posting in thread and voting, and you should also attend to any game orders and chats you have. Note that these are minimums, and replacement is at the mod's discretion, based on their judgement of whether you are participating enough for the other players to have a meaningful game experience. Exceptions will be made for anyone that announces ahead of time that they will be away from the internet, but that they will be able to return in time for the next dusk.

If you need to stop playing the game or know you will be unavailable to keep playing, clicking the green arrow next to your name in Cassy will put your seat up for replacement. You may also ask the moderator to replace you in your mod chat. Talking about the intention/consideration to replace out in thread is discouraged.

Posting Rules:

Please don't post after the Dusk/Dawn deadline, even if the mod has not told you to stop posting. Posting game-changing information (views, for example) after the dusk/dawn times is especially bad, don't risk it, as this requires the moderator to implement consequences that hurt your whole team.

You may edit posts that don't contain votes for formatting or typos. Please include a line saying "edit: thing I edited", and don't use this to edit the content of a post. Never edit a vote post. Never delete a post without permission from the moderator, even if it was posted late.

Your post must always be readable to humans browsing the thread - that means no size 0 fonted text, and no invisible text of any kind.

Making out-of-game promises to other players in order to influence their actions in game is against the rules.

Quoting something told to you by the moderator directly from your hidden modchat is forbidden unless the moderator has given you explicit permission. Paraphrasing such things is usually allowed. This rule broadly forbids using anything about the specific phrasing of things in your mod chat to prove your role, so no questions about "what was the 5th word in the villager welcome message", either. If you have any questions about this rule, ask the moderator first, as this can break the game for everyone.

More info on this last part can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22684517#22684517

Personal attacks or offensive language aren't allowed. If something you are doing appears to really be getting to someone, be gracious and knock it off. I will intervene if it gets out of hand.

Meta Rules:

1. Brand new players will be provided the opportunity to have an in-chat advisor/mentor, who will only have as much information as the player. This other player will have read-access to the thread and can talk to them in modchat. Just ask! Anyone returning after an extremely long absence or who has played five or less games total may also have a mentor. Exceptions to this are available, as well.

Do not reference to your mentor (or other people's mentors) in your in-thread game posts.

2. Players are allowed to geekmail the moderators before the game and request a role. They can do this by requesting a specific role, an alignment or "anything but". Talking about this option either by way of defense or accusation is not permitted. (Ie, you can't say you want to lynch someone because you think they would have requested wolf, nor can you claim you are innocent because you requested villager.) The intent of this option is to allow people to shore up their weak points and whatnot, not for it to be discussed or really thought about in game. Most roles in this series are randomly assigned, this feature isn't used a lot.

3. There is an informal "Do Not Lynch" the newbie on D1. This is not set in stone and I am simply asking that you have good and solid reasons for lynching a brand new player on D1. New players will often have playstyles or ways of communicating that seem unusual, and they are not as easy to pin down as potentially goods. Consider this in your voting decisions. =)

4. You may have noted the specific consequences aren't spelled out in these rules. In general, the moderator's intent is to be corrective of errors, restorative of fair gameplay, and vocal about the reasons behind rules moreso than being specifically punitive. Players actively not attempting to follow the rules or responding to moderator corrections will be asked to not sign up for future Hi games.

5. Veterans playing in these games should be aware that the series is aimed specifically to help introduce new people to the format and environment, and be prepared to help them do so and weather any of the unique issues that come along with having heaps of new people. Anyone not showing such a willingness will also be asked not to play Hi games. It is also worth noting that some processes that are shortcutted in typical games here are not in Hi for teaching purposes - games are generally played out to the end even in cases where one team seems sure to be ascendant.

Helpful Info:

A guide written about how the actual playing of Werewolf games online, most especially Hi games, goes: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/22609942#22609942

More generically and a bit older: Guide to Playing Werewolf on BGG!

Here is a Dictionary of terms that are used often in our BGG WW games: /wiki/page/BGG_Werewolf_PBF_Dictionary

Please note that, by default, Cassandra chats are saved for posterity. If you have something private to tell the moderators, use geekmail or ask them to set you up a chat meant to be deleted.

Also, if you have a "BGG newuser" tag under your name still, you will not be able to post more than about once a minute. All players should keep this in mind when voting or expecting claims very near the deadline!

Tfang assists players in learning how to use cassandrawerewolf.com to moderate games and in the general conventions of the BGG WW community in regards to modding. If you are interested in learning, please shoot him a geekmail. If you have a guest moderator that isn't The_Rorab, Cvb2009, or Monogarden, they are currently taking this course, please be extra kind to them, as it is often their first time!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
Aumerle
beardandglasses
Behind_the_Walls
codeia
dejojam1
kaibis
MajaiofDreams
oldhoss
PaperF
Samool
TheFallen

11 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://cassandrawerewolf.com/game/2229964
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cass
Australia
flag msg tools
Don't be a dick
badge
Your fun isn't wrong
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have finally taken the step and signed up for a game.

My experience is a grand total of 5 quick games on the WWO app... So help will be appreciated if possible.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day (she/her)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf, but I'm definitely wolfing
badge
I am a cloud
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kaibis wrote:
I have finally taken the step and signed up for a game.

My experience is a grand total of 5 quick games on the WWO app... So help will be appreciated if possible.

You can have a mentor, who will be able to give you private help and support, but we're all pretty good at looking after new players during the game too.

Have you read and/or followed along with any of the other games here?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cass
Australia
flag msg tools
Don't be a dick
badge
Your fun isn't wrong
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugs wrote:
kaibis wrote:
I have finally taken the step and signed up for a game.

My experience is a grand total of 5 quick games on the WWO app... So help will be appreciated if possible.

You can have a mentor, who will be able to give you private help and support, but we're all pretty good at looking after new players during the game too.

Have you read and/or followed along with any of the other games here?

No, I thought it was all on the cassandra thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kaibis wrote:
I have finally taken the step and signed up for a game.

My experience is a grand total of 5 quick games on the WWO app... So help will be appreciated if possible.

As Smugs has said, it should be good, and help will be provided if you need it! =)

If you have any questions before the game starts as well, feel free to let me know and I'll help however I can!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kaibis wrote:
Smugs wrote:
kaibis wrote:
I have finally taken the step and signed up for a game.

My experience is a grand total of 5 quick games on the WWO app... So help will be appreciated if possible.

You can have a mentor, who will be able to give you private help and support, but we're all pretty good at looking after new players during the game too.

Have you read and/or followed along with any of the other games here?

No, I thought it was all on the cassandra thing.

All the background stuff happens on the Cassandra site - so that'll be where you receive messages from your moderators, where you may input orders that pertain to your role (Seer views, Night Kills as a wolf etc), and chat to your fellow wolf is you're a wolf or chat in your mod chat to a mentor =)

The actual playing part of the game will happen right here in this thread once the game has started!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cass
Australia
flag msg tools
Don't be a dick
badge
Your fun isn't wrong
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
kaibis wrote:
Smugs wrote:
kaibis wrote:
I have finally taken the step and signed up for a game.

My experience is a grand total of 5 quick games on the WWO app... So help will be appreciated if possible.

You can have a mentor, who will be able to give you private help and support, but we're all pretty good at looking after new players during the game too.

Have you read and/or followed along with any of the other games here?

No, I thought it was all on the cassandra thing.

All the background stuff happens on the Cassandra site - so that'll be where you receive messages from your moderators, where you may input orders that pertain to your role (Seer views, Night Kills as a wolf etc), and chat to your fellow wolf is you're a wolf or chat in your mod chat to a mentor =)

The actual playing part of the game will happen right here in this thread once the game has started!

Okay, I'll go have a read of a previous thread. I have been playing WWO all day to gain some understanding, but the 1minute day/night cycle is a really different game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cass
Australia
flag msg tools
Don't be a dick
badge
Your fun isn't wrong
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Early question.
Is there a rule about declaring your roles?

Can I declare it straight away (if I think it is strategical), or is it a faux pas to ever mention your own role?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kaibis wrote:
Early question.
Is there a rule about declaring your roles?

Can I declare it straight away (if I think it is strategical), or is it a faux pas to ever mention your own role?

So - the answer to this is that there are no rules about role sharing - you can feel free to say anything about what your role is - because it's on everyone else to decide whether they believe you or not =)

However, that's from the standpoint of facts, from the standpoint of the gaming culture we tend to have, if you were to claim a role immediately - people may struggle to know how to react. In general, people tend not to claim their roles unless they need to because the best case scenario for the village is for the Wolves to kill a Villager, and the more information role-wise that the wolves have, the easier they will be able to kill important roles before they can impact upon the game. Obviously though, this presumes said instant claim were truthful

Also, if you were to claim your role instantly and in fact weren't said role, you run the risk of the real role countering you - which if you were good and just doing a thing, is a pretty bad outcome.

In general though, claiming is an important part of how we play. Generally, people are asked to claim their role if they have the most votes in the tally at some point before lynch. Then people may make a decision based on that, and maybe vote elsewhere etc - which could force another claim from another person. And people may also claim on later days as certain roles like the Seer, in order to impart their information to help team good! Another circumstance in which claiming might happen, would be an 'all-claim' - in which everybody would be asked to claim in order to fill in every gap of info and box evils into certain claims =)

All of this though isn't to say if that's how you want to play you shouldn't do it! I just wanted to let you know the likely responses and reasoning behind it and how things generally tend to work! If you want to play certain ways, then that should be your decision - and definitely could work out depending on the why and what you actually were. =)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelci
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kaibis wrote:
I have finally taken the step and signed up for a game.

My experience is a grand total of 5 quick games on the WWO app... So help will be appreciated if possible.

G'day and Welcome kaibis! Glad you are here to help us hunt the Wolves! Always keen to have more Villagers in our quest to squelch the quarrelsome canines!

I am signed up for a lot of games currently, and I will be on vacation 07/12 - 07/18, but if this game starts before or after that time, then I will sign up to play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cass
Australia
flag msg tools
Don't be a dick
badge
Your fun isn't wrong
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
kaibis wrote:
Early question.
Is there a rule about declaring your roles?

Can I declare it straight away (if I think it is strategical), or is it a faux pas to ever mention your own role?

So - the answer to this is that there are no rules about role sharing - you can feel free to say anything about what your role is - because it's on everyone else to decide whether they believe you or not =)

However, that's from the standpoint of facts, from the standpoint of the gaming culture we tend to have, if you were to claim a role immediately - people may struggle to know how to react. In general, people tend not to claim their roles unless they need to because the best case scenario for the village is for the Wolves to kill a Villager, and the more information role-wise that the wolves have, the easier they will be able to kill important roles before they can impact upon the game. Obviously though, this presumes said instant claim were truthful

Also, if you were to claim your role instantly and in fact weren't said role, you run the risk of the real role countering you - which if you were good and just doing a thing, is a pretty bad outcome.

In general though, claiming is an important part of how we play. Generally, people are asked to claim their role if they have the most votes in the tally at some point before lynch. Then people may make a decision based on that, and maybe vote elsewhere etc - which could force another claim from another person. And people may also claim on later days as certain roles like the Seer, in order to impart their information to help team good! Another circumstance in which claiming might happen, would be an 'all-claim' - in which everybody would be asked to claim in order to fill in every gap of info and box evils into certain claims =)

All of this though isn't to say if that's how you want to play you shouldn't do it! I just wanted to let you know the likely responses and reasoning behind it and how things generally tend to work! If you want to play certain ways, then that should be your decision - and definitely could work out depending on the why and what you actually were. =)

But isn't performing the roles the same as announcing them?

So if a seer starts declaring good/evil from Day 1, is that the same as announcing that they are a seer? Does that mean strategically there is good reason to hold off?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kaibis wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:
kaibis wrote:
Early question.
Is there a rule about declaring your roles?

Can I declare it straight away (if I think it is strategical), or is it a faux pas to ever mention your own role?

So - the answer to this is that there are no rules about role sharing - you can feel free to say anything about what your role is - because it's on everyone else to decide whether they believe you or not =)

However, that's from the standpoint of facts, from the standpoint of the gaming culture we tend to have, if you were to claim a role immediately - people may struggle to know how to react. In general, people tend not to claim their roles unless they need to because the best case scenario for the village is for the Wolves to kill a Villager, and the more information role-wise that the wolves have, the easier they will be able to kill important roles before they can impact upon the game. Obviously though, this presumes said instant claim were truthful

Also, if you were to claim your role instantly and in fact weren't said role, you run the risk of the real role countering you - which if you were good and just doing a thing, is a pretty bad outcome.

In general though, claiming is an important part of how we play. Generally, people are asked to claim their role if they have the most votes in the tally at some point before lynch. Then people may make a decision based on that, and maybe vote elsewhere etc - which could force another claim from another person. And people may also claim on later days as certain roles like the Seer, in order to impart their information to help team good! Another circumstance in which claiming might happen, would be an 'all-claim' - in which everybody would be asked to claim in order to fill in every gap of info and box evils into certain claims =)

All of this though isn't to say if that's how you want to play you shouldn't do it! I just wanted to let you know the likely responses and reasoning behind it and how things generally tend to work! If you want to play certain ways, then that should be your decision - and definitely could work out depending on the why and what you actually were. =)

But isn't performing the roles the same as announcing them?

So if a seer starts declaring good/evil from Day 1, is that the same as announcing that they are a seer? Does that mean strategically there is good reason to hold off?

By announcing the role, do you mean telling the thread what information they have inherent in their role? In which case that would be the same as declaring they were the Seer, yeah. The general notion is that it's better to hold off because if you claim a bit later you'll have more information to impart before you die!

Let me know if I misinterpreted your point and rambled unhelpfully! =P
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
“Good-bye and hello, as always.”
badge
“I saw my earlier selves as different people, acquaintances I had outgrown. I wondered how I could ever have been some of them.” ― Roger Zelazny, The Courts of Chaos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kaibis wrote:
I have finally taken the step and signed up for a game.

My experience is a grand total of 5 quick games on the WWO app... So help will be appreciated if possible.

Howdy!

I played a grand total of zero games of Werewolf before I started playing here, so you'll do great. Don't worry about levels of experience at all.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aumerle wrote:
kaibis wrote:
I have finally taken the step and signed up for a game.

My experience is a grand total of 5 quick games on the WWO app... So help will be appreciated if possible.

Howdy!

I played a grand total of zero games of Werewolf before I started playing here, so you'll do great. Don't worry about levels of experience at all.



I was relatively garbage at Werewolf for the first 9 months or so I played here - it's all good
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
“Good-bye and hello, as always.”
badge
“I saw my earlier selves as different people, acquaintances I had outgrown. I wondered how I could ever have been some of them.” ― Roger Zelazny, The Courts of Chaos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kaibis wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:
kaibis wrote:
Early question.
Is there a rule about declaring your roles?

Can I declare it straight away (if I think it is strategical), or is it a faux pas to ever mention your own role?

So - the answer to this is that there are no rules about role sharing - you can feel free to say anything about what your role is - because it's on everyone else to decide whether they believe you or not =)

However, that's from the standpoint of facts, from the standpoint of the gaming culture we tend to have, if you were to claim a role immediately - people may struggle to know how to react. In general, people tend not to claim their roles unless they need to because the best case scenario for the village is for the Wolves to kill a Villager, and the more information role-wise that the wolves have, the easier they will be able to kill important roles before they can impact upon the game. Obviously though, this presumes said instant claim were truthful

Also, if you were to claim your role instantly and in fact weren't said role, you run the risk of the real role countering you - which if you were good and just doing a thing, is a pretty bad outcome.

In general though, claiming is an important part of how we play. Generally, people are asked to claim their role if they have the most votes in the tally at some point before lynch. Then people may make a decision based on that, and maybe vote elsewhere etc - which could force another claim from another person. And people may also claim on later days as certain roles like the Seer, in order to impart their information to help team good! Another circumstance in which claiming might happen, would be an 'all-claim' - in which everybody would be asked to claim in order to fill in every gap of info and box evils into certain claims =)

All of this though isn't to say if that's how you want to play you shouldn't do it! I just wanted to let you know the likely responses and reasoning behind it and how things generally tend to work! If you want to play certain ways, then that should be your decision - and definitely could work out depending on the why and what you actually were. =)

But isn't performing the roles the same as announcing them?

So if a seer starts declaring good/evil from Day 1, is that the same as announcing that they are a seer? Does that mean strategically there is good reason to hold off?

Most seers will not say anything about their initial view, thus not giving away their role *or* their view until later in the game.

Usually the reasoning behind this is that if they claim their view and announce their role, then they will probably be killed by the wolves on the next night. If on the other hand, they survive to Day 2, which is likely considering the wolves have a low chance of randomly selecting the seer on Night 1 with 8 non wolves left to choose from, then they will have 2 views which is much more useful. It's fairly common for an alive Seer to claim on Day 2. Then, on top of that, the Martyr, if alive, could protect them for one more night, so then they can make it to Day 3 with 3 total views.

The other reason to not claim immediately is that it can help with reading players regarding the person you know is good from your initial Night 0 view. If you know Bob is good and a bunch of people are overly suspicious of Bob, then that might be a clue that some of them could be evil. But if you announce your view straightaway, then evil will know not to say anything negative about Bob.

Now one big caveat to this is if for some reason the village has decided that you might be evil and many people are voting for you, then you would definitely want to wait until close to lynch time (maybe an hour or so out) and if that doesn't change, then announce that you are the Seer so that hopefully they will move off and vote someone else. But you can usually wait on doing this if you get early votes because quite often votes move around in the last hour or so before lynch time.

But as Rob said previously, feel free to try out playing it as you like. If you want to claim early with a role like that, go for it. Everything I said is just an idea of somewhat what's generally done. But different people play different ways and one of the fun things about Werewolf is that you might come up with a new way to play it that might open up some new ideas for the rest of us.

Also crazy stuff happens from time to time, in all honesty there have probably been games where it would have been better for the seer to just announce and claim their view from the start due to randomly getting night killed or other stuff happening. But usually that's not the "standard" play (not that standard is always best).

Anyway I hope that helps
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cass
Australia
flag msg tools
Don't be a dick
badge
Your fun isn't wrong
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aumerle wrote:


Anyway I hope that helps

That helps a lot.. Thank you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelci
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All the things Aumerle said!

Also: Another time it may be important to claim your role besides being in lynch lead, is if someone else is claiming your role. Sometimes players false claim roles as good, for example someone might claim Seer to try to draw the night kill to help the true Seer live another day. But usually, if someone is claiming your role, it means they are evil and trying not to get lynched! Every scenario is different, and sometimes the evil claimant is not believed and lynched anyway without your having to counter. But it is often good to claim your role if someone else is false claiming it, because it often helps the Village find an evil player.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cass
Australia
flag msg tools
Don't be a dick
badge
Your fun isn't wrong
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is direct messaging a part of the game, or is all communication (excepting roles like the medium or jailor) in this chat area only?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day (she/her)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf, but I'm definitely wolfing
badge
I am a cloud
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kaibis wrote:
Is direct messaging a part of the game, or is all communication (excepting roles like the medium or jailor) in this chat area only?

Private messages are strictly disallowed, even when you're dead, if the game is ongoing.

On the Cassandra site, the Wolves will have a private chat room to talk to each other though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for looking.
badge
I am an orange blob, guaranteed to offend no one and everyone. You must be orangified.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, outing #11 of WW...we'll see how this one goes...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for looking.
badge
I am an orange blob, guaranteed to offend no one and everyone. You must be orangified.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After two 'no reveals' on Medium difficulty, this should be a good, relaxed change of pace...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for looking.
badge
I am an orange blob, guaranteed to offend no one and everyone. You must be orangified.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
...until I get lynched on N1...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The role I got said seer, but I want to actually play and not just watch. Could someone please help?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [52] |