Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spotted this news over at Morten's blog but I thought I'd share it over here for those who've not seen it.

Alan Emrich posted on Facebook (Frank Chadwick's ETO series public group) the following:

Quote:
I sold VPG to another publisher (Tabletop Tycoon) who kept on staff the entire VPG creative team and VPG was a game development studio for them. Recently, they laid off the entire VPG creative team, myself included. As there is not a wargamer left, some of VPG wargame designs, like ETO, are seeing the rights being graciously returned to their designers.
Armed with the rights, Frank Chadwick sought a new publisher at ConsimWorld and we had some very good choices. Frank went with GMT, so together with the ETO team, we are marching forward.

Very sad news for Alan and the rest of the team. I feel proud to have supported VPG with proofreading and playtesting duties from around 2010 onwards,as well as many purchases. I watched them develop from a small operation in Alan's house, through to the premises at Costa Mesa; from PnP quality baggies through the laser-cut counters and "pizza boxes" to the quality offerings via Kickstarter.

I presume Tabletop Tycoon will still own the VPG imprint and the rights to games such as Nemo's War (second edition) and Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition). But without the development from Alan and the gang, what will happen next?

Cue the wild speculations...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Also mentioned yesterday in a comment
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/32353278#32353278
in the older thread Where are all the games?

...but, yow, indeed big enough news to probably warrant a more prominent new thread of its own.

Yesterday I enjoyed a great game of Imperial Stars II and was thinking that it's a bummer that a cool game like this is now so scarce and out of print. Hopefully many of the VPG back catalog can find new homes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been playing a bunch of Wings for the Baron (second edition) lately, total bummer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DavidSh
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Toasty!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is sad. I just bought 6 of their games in the past two months, I really love the designs and agenda of this company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder what Dan Yarrington will ruin next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that sucks. Imagine selling your company to a publisher, with the hopes of maintaining the creative game making element of said company, and then being let go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
Carnegie
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madslaust wrote:
I wonder what Dan Yarrington will ruin next.

The guy starts so many boardgame related companies. It's as if he thinks he can escape the reputation he's earned, and constantly re-earning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
That's crazy bad news. I too had the privilege of being a playtester working with Hermann and the gang on DotZ v2. It is such a fun memory for me. Wow, so I guess when VPG sells the remainder of their inventory that's all folks? Renegade was next on my list too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeak 'n' Squawk
United States
flag msg tools
Millet, you say? Where?
badge
A pistachio would be nice.
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm curious what TT got out of the sale if they are unconcerned with the company's employees.

I don't know much about VPG, who is left after the creative team is gone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zanti_misfit wrote:
That's crazy bad news. I too had the privilege of being a playtester working with Hermann and the gang on DotZ v2. It is such a fun memory for me. Wow, so I guess when VPG sells the remainder of their inventory that's all folks? Renegade was next on my list too.

Worried about Renegade and DotZ3 future expansions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What. The. Crap.

All these people saying Game Salute has turned over a new leaf, etc. Yeah right.

Really worried for the future of Nemo's War and Zeds as you said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponsonby Britt, OBE
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It would seem it may be time for this to be updated: Game Salute: A Cautionary Tale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:

Everything I'd heard from everyone involved was that these were the kinds of games that TT was after when they bought the company, and they couldn't care less about the States of Siege series, or the -20 series, or any of the other wargames out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So does that mean VPG's huge catalog of interesting little games are just gone now?

What a bummer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adverb wrote:
So does that mean VPG's huge catalog of interesting little games are just gone now?

What a bummer.

Sounds like it but I read that Alan was able to get ownership of all of the wargames that TT wasn't interested in. However Nemo's War, Dawn of the Zed, and the other most popular games would stay with TT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Awaiting an official update from Alan explaining the aftermath, what's going to happen to their highly talented team, and which games are officially still under their control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeak 'n' Squawk
United States
flag msg tools
Millet, you say? Where?
badge
A pistachio would be nice.
mbmbmbmbmb
bayonetbrant wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

Everything I'd heard from everyone involved was that these were the kinds of games that TT was after when they bought the company, and they couldn't care less about the States of Siege series, or the -20 series, or any of the other wargames out there.

I thought Dawn of the Zeds was a State of Siege game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
that Alan was able to get ownership of all of the wargames that TT wasn't interested in.

That's not what Alan said. He speculated that wargames were not really in TT's present business plan and that those designers might want to contact TT to reacquire their free and clear rights. Dan has been very gracious to them returning their rights so their games will find happy homes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Quote:
that Alan was able to get ownership of all of the wargames that TT wasn't interested in.

That's not what Alan said. He speculated that wargames were not really in TT's present business plan and that those designers might want to contact TT to reacquire their free and clear rights. Dan has been very gracious to them returning their rights so their games will find happy homes.

Hi Alan! So sorry to hear about what happened to you all. There's a lot of heartbroken fans out there.

Anyway, sorry I misunderstood but I hope it works out for as many games as possible. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:
bayonetbrant wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

I thought Dawn of the Zeds was a State of Siege game.

Yes Zeds is most certainly a State of Siege Game. I think the point here is that TT is not interested maybe in a lot of other State of Siege Games but they would have interest in the best selling one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doremus Jessup
msg tools
mb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Quote:

What is to be the fate of Second Ed Cruel Necessity? Is that on the horizon for VPG going forward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What is to be the fate of Second Ed Cruel Necessity? Is that on the horizon for VPG going forward?

An interesting question, indeed! I believe that TT still plans to release Cruel Necessity, but has to put new people in place to complete the task that VPG team had nearly ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Quote:

An interesting question, indeed! I believe that TT still plans to release Cruel Necessity, but has to put new people in place to complete the task that VPG team had nearly ready.

Of course, the fate of the employees is the biggest concern, but game-wise, this tops my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are a gracious fellow, Alan, and I hope you continue to be so, but allow me to feel ungracious on your behalf. This sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't owned too many VPG games, but enough over the years to know that one of the few essential things I liked about them as a publisher is that they were fully open to possibilities. You knew if they came across a game that they liked, they'd put their best efforts forward to fully realize it and then bring it to market come hell or high water. On one hand, you have to be proud of VPG for culturing a handful of very strong titles and being able to sell their catalogue to a larger company. On the other hand, you can't help but pick up on whiffs of where board game publishing is headed, in that you don't publish anything unless it's a "sure thing".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |