Andrew Heggie
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mb
I'm looking for a board game I played around 20 years ago (mid 1980s) - but I can't remember the name nor all the details of the game.

What I can remember is:

each player plays a particular character (who leads a particular city/colour, and has a particular area of specialty eg espionage/spying)-one of them was called 'Arton' (who I think was always orange - there was also a female who was purple), it was quite similar to the PC games Heroes and Civilization in terms of building an empire from a starting city,you could hire one (or more?) 'hero/henchmen' along the way (in addition to regular armies), there were dice rolls, development/opportunity cards, the board was divided into hexes of varying terrain (I think), armies etc were also hexes (?) and they were stacked as they were moved around. Other things that spring to mind are a medusa as one of the 'heroes'.

These are pretty sketchy recollections - any thoughts or suggestions please? Even if the game you think of only has some of the features I mentioned, it may be the one (after 20 years my memory might be playing tricks on me).

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Heggie
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mb
Update.

I thought I'd found the game I was thinking of with 'Kings and Things', but it seems that I had combined two games in my mind. There were a few similarities.

So I am still looking for 'Arton' (who was orange), and 'MacDougal' (who was blue), there was a woman who was purple (I believe), there was also a fat guy who looked a bit like Buddha.

If the leader dies, one of the heroes/henchmen can take over.

I still think it is a mid 1980s game.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yurecko
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools

I think perhaps we are trying to find the same game. All I can really recall is a character named The Brown Dort. I too thought it may have been Kings and Things. I have been attempting to contact a few of my old friends who may recall the game title. If I happen to find out in the near future I will be sure to post it. If by chance you happen to find out before I do would you please post it here so I make be enlightened as well. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Heggie
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mb
Will do. I have contacted a few friends about it too, so here's hoping we come up with something.

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Heggie
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mb
Update 2.

meeple

The game I was looking for is Revolt on Antares. Arton, yes. Purple woman, yes. It was Dougal MacKenzie though.

As for The Brown Dort - it does sound familiar, but I'm not sure if he is from Revolt on Antares. If he is then great, though I'm not sure how I'll work that out - maybe if someone who owns the game reads this they will tell us.

Maybe The Brown Dort is from a different game. Either way I'd be interested to know.

Happy hunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.