Magdalena Zolud
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone,

welcome to the official campaign thread, which will be your source of knowledge about new Phalanx edition of legendary game: Successors.

We've created content worthy of Alexander the Great's ring.
You will find here the stories of heroes and heroines and their factions, beautiful illustrations,
useful campaign information and many more sneak peeks about the Successors!

Subscribe to this thread and stay posted.

45 
 Thumb up
6.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pinzelli
Greece
Kalamata
flag msg tools
PERDIKKAS, THE FIRST REGENT
Could he have maintained the integrity of the Empire?

Perdikkas was first mentioned in 335 BC when he fought among Alexander the Great’s army in Illyricum. According to Arrian of Nicomedia, he descended from a princely house in Orestis (next to modern Kastoria). About the same age as Alexander, Perdikkas was one of the killers of Philip II’s assassin, Pausanias, that also came from Orestis.

In 334, Perdikkas’s phalanx seemed to have been the first to break into Thebes (the city where Philip II had be raised). Alexander had Thebes plundered and burned.

During Alexander’s campaign against Persia, Perdikkas led his heavy phalanx infantry at every battle: at the Granicus (May 334 BC), during the siege of Miletos, at the battle of Issus, and he was left with overall command of a part of the Macedonian army while Alexander was struggling to take Tyre. At Gaugamela (October 331 BC), Perdikkas suffered an almost fatal injury.

The future arch enemies Perdikkas and Ptolemaîos were later mentioned as one of Alexander’s seven bodyguards. During the invasion of Gandara (327 BC), Perdikkas and Hephaestion captured an important city called Peucelaotis. In the Indian campaign, Perdikkas served as cavalry commander, including at the battle of Hydaspes.

At the royal weddings of Susa (March 324) Perdikkas was married to the daughter of Atropates, satrap of Media, and after Hephaestion’s death he was appointed chiliarch (the king’s majordomo) and commander of the Companion Cavalry, a demonstration of Alexander’s growing trust during the last months of his life.

When Alexander died at Babylon in June 323, on his deathbed, he handed his ring to Perdikkas, a way to designate him his rightful successor among all his former friends and companions. During the tumultuous partition that followed immediately afterwards, the cavalry and infantry leaders were divided but Perdikkas was eventually named regent of the joint kings Philip Arrhidaeus (Alexander’s half-brother) and Alexander IV, Roxana of Bactria’s yet to be born son. Perdikkas was to rule only as figurehead, with no real power.

Perdikkas attempted to marry Alexander’ sister Cleopatra, to strengthen his connection with the Argead dynasty and possibly claim the throne. Legitimacy was everything! But he made enemies of Antipatatros, Antigonos and Krateros, the most experienced and respected of all the Macedonian generals. Perdikkas’ authority was dangerously challenged, his only trusted ally was Eumenis, Philip and Alexander’s former court secretary, to whom he entrusted Kappadokia, a key province between Macedonia and Babylon.

After a short but severe regency, military failure in Egypt against Ptolemaîos who had stolen the Soma (Alexander’s remains), and mutiny in the army, Perdikkas was assassinated by his senior officers Peithon, Antigenis, and Séleukos in June 320 BC. At the Partition of Triparadisus, Antipatros, the satrap of Macedonia, was made the new regent but the Pandora’s box of bitter rivalry and all-out war between Alexander’s successors had been opened.

35 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Voutilainen
Finland
Kuopio
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is hoping against all hope that the picture at top will be the new cover!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will back this for sure, and I also dig the cover art.

Here is hoping that you guys will follow this one up with Sword of Rome. That would nicely bridge that gap between Successors and Hannibal whistle
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
"When you walk..."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks nice, but aren't you missing the name of one of the designers?

John B. Firer
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Last Of The Mohicans
Greece
Larissa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The one & only Hellenic Macedonia strikes back !!!!!! Well done !!!!!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magdalena Zolud
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Looks nice, but aren't you missing the name of one of the designers?

John B. Firer
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

We are in touch with John B. Firer and he decided that in the 4th edition should be only two authors.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Bogatov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr_M wrote:
Desiderata wrote:
Looks nice, but aren't you missing the name of one of the designers?

John B. Firer
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

We are in touch with John B. Firer and he decided that in the 4th edition should be only two authors.

Ah if you work with John Firer, there is a hope that next project will be his brilliant game SPARTACUS (though frankly speaking it should be named SERTORIUS).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GUNTHAR_HAGGEN wrote:



Does the picture imply that there are going to be minis as part of this new edition?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tcaalaw wrote:
[q="GUNTHAR_HAGGEN"]

Does the picture imply that there are going to be minis as part of this new edition?

I'm afraid so. At least I hope that this time the basic game includes also cardboard generals with standees...
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
celacanto wrote:
Tcaalaw wrote:
[q="GUNTHAR_HAGGEN"]

Does the picture imply that there are going to be minis as part of this new edition?

I'm afraid so. At least I hope that this time the basic game includes also cardboard generals with standees...

That's disappointing both from a cost and aesthetics standpoint. Hopefully it will be playable without using them.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be interested in this, but after getting both Hannibal and UBoot I really hope Phalanx learns from those and Successors (and Fire in the Sky) aren't near-total cockups.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Paraskevopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like it follows the Hannibal recipe, which was really good excluding the rulebook.

I hope to give the option again to play either with new streamlined rules or with the traditional way.

I m not a fun of the miniatures neither, but the mdf standees add on from Hannibal was really nice. Please add them again but cheaper if possible. Even better give the option to choose between miniatures or mdf standees.

I m also looking forward for the option to add staff from Hannibal and u boot in the order.

Good luck to your campaign! It is one of the best 4 player CDG.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sterner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Louminous wrote:
It looks like it follows the Hannibal recipe, which was really good excluding the rulebook.

Please add them again but cheaper if possible. Even better give the option to choose between miniatures or mdf standees.
You know they can't do that, right? They make the decision on pieces for the retail version, and that's what they offer on Kickstarter. There can be no option on pieces. They could add both if they so desired, but that's their call.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sterner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
And the fact of the matter is that they likely sell A LOT more games because of the miniatures than they would without them.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully the miniatures at least have superior general ratings visibility as compared to the last try....
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Paraskevopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marconi wrote:
Louminous wrote:
It looks like it follows the Hannibal recipe, which was really good excluding the rulebook.

Please add them again but cheaper if possible. Even better give the option to choose between miniatures or mdf standees.
You know they can't do that, right? They make the decision on pieces for the retail version, and that's what they offer on Kickstarter. There can be no option on pieces. They could add both if they so desired, but that's their call.

No I don't know it and the truth is that I don't care how a publisher works. I'm only expressing my desire. If it is not possible or not profitable for the publisher , it is ok by me. I'm sure we are a lot who will hide the miniatures in a drawer along with the others from Hannibal and a solution to this will be appreciated.

Anyway , all these are already decided by phalanx and this is all small talk. Good luck again.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crestfallen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DerMahler wrote:
I might be interested in this, but after getting both Hannibal and UBoot I really hope Phalanx learns from those and Successors (and Fire in the Sky) aren't near-total cockups.
What was near-total cockup about those two releases?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This post has been removed by a moderator - Antagonizing
Eric Pinzelli
Greece
Kalamata
flag msg tools
THE IMPERIALIST FACTION

In Successors, the Imperialist faction is represented by Perdikkas and his lieutenant Eumenes (or Eumenis) of Cardia. This faction had the kings, all the resources of the royal treasuries of Asia, and maybe even more importantly, the body of Alexander the Great, still kept at Babylon at the time, embalmed in a golden coffin. Whoever possessed Alexander's remains and buried the dead king made himself the legitimate successor. Alexander was already revered as a God.

Perdikkas and Eumenes struggled to keep the empire together. Perdikkas ruled officially in the name of the kings, possibly with the hope of becoming sole ruler himself. Both had continuous support from Cleopatra, Alexander's sister. Until 316 BC, they managed to retain the fickle loyalty of the Macedonian hoplites, especially the Silver Shields. As a Greek, Eumenes had a limited claim on the loyalty of his Macedonia troops. In an attempt to preserve their allegiance, Eumenes encouraged a cult of Alexander, holding councils in the presence of Alexander’s regalia.

During the first War of the Successors, Eumenes loyally backed Perdikkas and his central authority against a coalition of other leading generals including Krateros, Antipatros, Antigonos Monophthalmos, Lysimachos and Ptolemaîos, and won several striking (and very unexpected for a “secretary” with lack of proper military experience) victories in Asia Minor. Defeating and eliminating Krateros and Neoptolemos at the battle of the Hellespont (321 BC), Eumenes, the “underdog” actually showed a considerable military aptitude from then on until his anti-climatic downfall.

Both Perdikkas and Eumenes, defenders of the royalist cause, fervently believed in a united Empire and one that was headed by a member of the Argead Dynasty of Macedonia.


21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Louminous wrote:
Marconi wrote:
Louminous wrote:
It looks like it follows the Hannibal recipe, which was really good excluding the rulebook.

Please add them again but cheaper if possible. Even better give the option to choose between miniatures or mdf standees.
You know they can't do that, right? They make the decision on pieces for the retail version, and that's what they offer on Kickstarter. There can be no option on pieces. They could add both if they so desired, but that's their call.

No I don't know it and the truth is that I don't care how a publisher works. I'm only expressing my desire. If it is not possible or not profitable for the publisher , it is ok by me. I'm sure we are a lot who will hide the miniatures in a drawer along with the others from Hannibal and a solution to this will be appreciated.

Anyway , all these are already decided by phalanx and this is all small talk. Good luck again.

I was one of the people arguing for a non-minis option during the H&H campaign and was quite satisfied with the tokens that were included. Right after the game arrived, I listed the minis on GeekMarket and found a buyer within a couple weeks. Would recommend. No reason to despair or have them sit unused in a drawer if you don't like minis.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I preferd the Standees but then bought the larger mat and the minis are in perfect scale! So with a wash and highlights and a black painted base to show the command numbers, I think they look the dog's bo****ks!

8 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think they look the dog's bo****ks!

I mean, I prefer the functionality and simplicity of the stand-up figures from the 3rd edition, but I don't think the minis look quite as bad as a saggy pair of canine testes. That's a bit too harsh.

Quote:
In Successors, the Imperialist faction is represented by Perdikkas and his lieutenant Eumenes (or Eumenis) of Cardia.

Wait, factions? Does this mean no more random assignment of Generals?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Statalyzer wrote:

Wait, factions? Does this mean no more random assignment of Generals?

Nothing is changed. This is purely for story-telling purposes. However, I can envision a historical scenario or two
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magdalena Zolud
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

TYCHE cards are the heart of the Successors game.
This is why we have given them special attention.
Huge (80x120mm), intricately decorated, with breathtaking illustrations - they look exactly like we have imagined them to.
This is a great upgrade comparing to the previous editions, where the cards were ascetic.
Now they are showing all the colors of the Diadochi era.

Tyche herself was a deity of fortune, prosperity, and destiny.
You will need her blessing to win the war for the Alexander's throne!



36 
 Thumb up
5.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] |