United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
9.17d "Axis units may not cross the Finnish border until the turn after
Novgorod becomes Axis-controlled, at which point the Finnish border
may be crossed by Axis units to and from the Onega Swamps
(only)."

Is there anything preventing a Finnish unit from using sea transport to move to a friendly-controlled Lithuania, if the Axis haven't yet made it to Novgorod?

I assume that this would be forbidden because the port would be considered the Finnish 'frontier', and no travel is allowed past it until Novgorod and Leningrad are 'freed' by the Germans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sea movement is allowed. The border intended is the Soviet-Finnish border.

If you exclude sea-movement, then the Germans couldn't sea-move in either, as that too would be crossing the border.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Brassard Lahey
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So you could send finns to Mainland europe then use them agaisnt the Soviets ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not until after Leningrad falls - See their operational limits in the Political rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rick Young wrote:
Not until after Leningrad falls - See their operational limits in the Political rules.

9.17(d): Finnish units may only operate in Finland and/or the Onega Swamps until the game-turn after Leningrad becomes Axis-controlled, at which point the Karelia/Novgorod border can also be crossed and Finnish units become free to operate anywhere within Finland and the Soviet Union."

This would seem to imply that until Leningrad becomes Axis-controlled, the FINNS can't enter the rest of the Soviet Union.

It would also seem to imply that the while German units attacking from Finland have to wait for Novgorod to be taken before they can enter the Onega Swamps, they can immediately head into the rest of Russia.

My reasoning is that it doesn't say "Axis forces attacking from Finland become free to operate anywhere..." It says "Finnish units become free to operate anywhere..." To my mind, that means that any German units can travel past the Onega Swamps, assuming Novgorod has been taken.

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would also seem to imply that the while German units attacking from Finland have to wait for Novgorod to be taken before they can enter the Onega Swamps, they can immediately head into the rest of Russia.

My reasoning is that it doesn't say "Axis forces attacking from Finland become free to operate anywhere..." It says "Finnish units become free to operate anywhere..." To my mind, that means that any German units can travel past the Onega Swamps, assuming Novgorod has been taken.

Correct?

Incorrect - The Finns cannot operate outside of Finland until Novgorod falls. After that they can only operate in Finland and the Onega Swamps until Leningrad falls.

After that they can operate anywhere in Finland and/or Russia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rick Young wrote:

Correct?

Incorrect - The Finns cannot operate outside of Finland until Novgorod falls. After that they can only operate in Finland and the Onega Swamps until Leningrad falls.

After that they can operate anywhere in Finland and/or Russia.

But I said the GERMANS (from Finland), not the Finns, could operate outside of the Onega Swamps once Leningrad is captured. Is THAT correct?

Remember, the rules says that the FINNS can't enter the rest of the Soviet Union until Leningrad falls; it doesn't say anything about GERMANS coming from Finland (after Leningrad falls)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, sorry.

In that case, your statement is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nuts. I worded my statement incorrectly in my haste. And then edited something else twice.

Alright. The Axis can't cross the Finnish border until Novgorod has been taken. Once that happens, it says that the FINNS can enter the Onega Swamps, but can't proceed farther into Russia until Leningrad is taken.

However, it doesn't say anything about the GERMAN units coming from Finland being stopped from anything after Novgorod has been taken. So: my reading is that once Novgorod is taken, German units from Finland are free to operate ANYWHERE in the Soviet Union. Correct?

Example: Axis takes Novgorod, and then Finns and some German infantry from Finland enter the Onega Swamps. Then, the Germans in the Onega Swamps head into the area east of the Ladoga Swamps, while the Finns have to wait for Leningrad to be taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, Rick. That has important implications for the NW part of Russia that I hadn't considered before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.