Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recieved my copy of "A game of Thrones" and I want to try it out as soon as possible. This game claims it is geared for 5 players and with adjustments for 3 or 4 players. But from what I remember hearing about this game, it seems it works best and is most balanced with 4 players. Since I will likely have a hard time getting 5 players to the table anyway, should I even bother or should I just play it with four? Which makes the best and most balanced game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r dub
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Re:4 or 5 players, which is better?
The Jakster (#40654),

I've played the game with 3 and 4 players, and one 5-player game (same problem as you it seems). Both 4- and 5-player games are balanced when the players recognize the relative strengths of the houses. That is, Lannister won all of our early 4-player games unless he was checked, and when he was, Baratheon almost always won. I believe (from my small sample) that the 5-player game swings this the other way: Greyjoy adds a lot of competition for the resources around Lannister, which gives Baratheon ultimately the stronger position.

Once you get a feel for the game, though, these issues iron out, because people intuitively know who to keep an eye on (and when). To that end, I suggest getting 4 together because, while I'd prefer 5, you'll probably get to play more often!

I'm curious to hear what other people have to say, because since we're always playing with the same people we can never tell if we're Playing It Wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.