Subject: New Trade building idea. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave West
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
The earlier string concerning what the "best" set of original and expansion buildings for a more balanced game got me thinking about my own ideas about how to "fix" the trading house problems. Since that string hasn't been commented on in a month, I revived it up here. Here is a summary of the problems as mentioned by others:

1) Office is rarely useful in larger games. Even with the safety of being able to trade the same good again, the house just fills up too fast. It does you no good having one when you can't trade at all, and you feel like you've wasted time and money when it isn't as useful as you hoped.

2) Trading post tries to fix this, yet makes another almost worse problem. It's possible to "lock up" the trading house, while solo trading with the post. Clearly this doesn't work very well either.

3) Small market is alittle too sought after in the earliest part of the game (turn 1 build, first two builds), and you can't let everyone have one, right?

4) The Large market is an attempt to fix the shortage of the small market, but is better and more expensive. The problem is that it is almost too much more expensive. From a proffitability standpoint, it is 1/3rd as effective as the small market.

My idea is to introduce a new 5 cost building that attempts to fix some of these problems (1+2 mainly, with alittle help for 3). This building would replace both Office and Trading Post in consideration, matching up with the Large Market for the 5 cost bracket. Alternatively, a modified Church could pair up with it (it stinks as is).

We could call it the Trade Officer, Trade Master or something like that. Ideas welcome.

Cost: 5
VPs: 2
Display: +1/0/-1 dubloons
with trade abilities
(trader phase)

Abilities: Can behave with one of three separate functions:

A) Act as an Office when there is room in the trading house and a repeat good is traded. Markets score as usual. (This is the 0)

B) Act as a Small market when there is room in the trading house and a new type of good is traded. (+1 dubloon)

C) Act as a Trading Post if there is no room in the trading house. As always, you can only trade once. (-1 dubloon)

The idea behind A) is to keep the good idea of the office around, while B) is to reward those who find a way to trade anyways (really this is a compensation for those who feel they've wasted their money on an ability with no use). On a side note, B) also gives players who've missed out on the small markets a chance to get it anyways only much later and more expensive. The idea behind C) is to make certain you can trade no matter what, yet you won't be able to lock other players since you can't do this unless it's full, and it can't be full when if you are the one taking trader. The uniform -1 dubloon is a deviation from the original idea behind the trading post, where markets don't work. Comments on this aspect and the building overall are welcome. Comments on the benefits and drawbacks of each function are particularly welcome.

What do you all think? Is it too strong? Too weak? Does it leave any problems that need to be thought about? Is it too clunky (a.k.a.: too much errata)? Should the owner be allowed to use multiple abilities at a time, or just one? Should the markets reward as usual in all cases? or just the first one?

Lockeofamber

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:New Trade building idea.
Lockeofamber (#40657),

Too strong, and, much worse, too fiddly.

There are other, more elegant ideas:

- When you use trading post, place a marker on an empty space in the trading house. The trading house is full if there is no space, as usual (remove barrels and markers).

- Office functions as trading post if Trading House is full.

etc...

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Nicolle
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lockeofamber (#40657),

In another thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewarticle.php3?articleid=3713...) Alexfrog suggested A) + C) (without the -1 cost) and I suggested A) + B).

I think A) + B) makes Office comparable to Lg Market but I think many would argue that 5 is still a tad high for either building. Of course the Lg Market at 5 is high mainly in comparison to the the underpriced Small Market at 1 (it really should be 2 IMO).

A) + C) (without the - 1 cost) makes the Office a better buy and can be described simply as 'you can always trade'.

If you do A) + B) + C) (with the -1) it might be good enough for the 3rd column.

I don't like the trading post at all.

Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Nicolle
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philni (#40727),

Bah, should have reread that post before going by memory. Alex's suggestion was that Office act as a Trading Post if House is full (which is A) + C) w/o -1 but no markets).

My bad, sorry.

Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.