Zombies!!!» Forums » Variants

Subject: no tiles, please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
roberto gatoski
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do you think there's a decent way to play this game WITHOUT placing the tiles, which is something I don't like in my games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not like tiles? Then how do you play Carcassonne? Or Ra, or Tigris & Euphrates, or Hey..That's My Fish, or Hollywood Blockbuster, or Betrayal at House on the Hill, or Elfenland, or California, or Vegas Showdown, or even Scrabble? I could keep going, but I think I made my point. Limiting games to not having tiles is an extremely big limitation. There a lot of great games you will not be able to play. However, I do have an answer and a way to play Zombies without tiles. A local game store built a play city on a 4ft x 4ft grid board. It is used to play a bunch of games when player want more interaction than just a board. We play: D & D minis, Star Wars Minis, Zombies, Mech Warrior, etc. It works well but gets kind of dull because the city never changes. The buildings are all glued down. Plus, it was rather expensive, and unless you play a bunch of other minis games, it is not worth building one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roberto gatoski
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
My point is, if I play a zombie game, i would like to feel like someone who's desperately trying to save his life from a hord of undead, alone or with other players. If I have to place a tile (and that means, of course, to decide where to place it) I suddenly feel like I'm modifying a boardgame, and not anymore rushing to save my life. By the way, I don't like any of the games you mentioned. Unicuique suum, the Latins said. ;-)
That's the reason of my - maybe absurd - request. After some search I think that maybe Dead of Night could be one.
Thanks a lot anyway, Wally!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Pasquinelli
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think "last night on earth" is the 1st choice when you search for a zombie game.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/29368
The bad new is here in Italy is very difficult to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I play as follows:

-- A tile is drawn and placed only when a player is moving off of a tile onto empty space (meaning not moving onto a previously placed tile). This emulates the feeling of being trapped as you don't know if you are moving into a dead end or a zombie filled street. There seems to be no escape.

-- When a tile is placed, zombies are placed on all open roads except the space the player is standing on.

-- At the end of a turn, all zombies are moved one space(if possible). Zombies will always move in the direction of the nearest player. If a zombie is equidistant from two or more players, these players roll the die. The zombie will move in the direction of the player with the lowest roll.

-- At the end of every player's turn and after zombie movement, zombies are placed on all legal, open-ended roads.

The game requires more cooperation this way. And since only one player can win it leaves plenty of opportunities for backstabbing. It may not remedy the tile placing but it does make the game more interesting.

You should also take a look at Zombie Plague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing that would stop you from just drawing and placing all the tiles before starting the game, then you wouldn't have that interruption to break the tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roberto gatoski
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
THAT could be the answer. I didn't think it possible. Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Quintal
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the whole point of the game was not knowing where/when the heliopad shows up? If you pull all the tiles prior, the game is just a race to the same destination?

edit: destination

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Collins
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You could always just preplace all the tiles. The tile placing mechanic is there to give a feeling of you not knowing where you are or where to go. Of course this changes the game to more of a planning game as you scout out the layout of the city. Still sounds like fun though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Place the Town Square at one end of the table, then build the board towards the other end of the table with random tiles, saving the helipad for last. The helipad must be in the last row of tiles, furthest away from the Town Square.

Your other problem might be placing all the zombies at once -- there aren't enough zombies for a full town in the box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.