Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Sibley
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A solo play through of the first scenario (not including the tutorial)in the scenario book.

The Americans do not have enough strength to do the task given to them.

The HE against the Improved positions was ineffectual (two fire missions used causing one disruption total, which was rallied when the Germans did their free activation).

The Germans receive a free activation first, and the 88 took out one armoured unit straight away (eliminated). One US Infantry unit was eliminated by the Flak ( stacked with the German HQ giving it an extra 2 dice) and mortar. This is all before the first formation card is drawn.

The US Infantry activate. The engineer places smoke and is then disrupted by a HMG. The rest move up with no cover as the tanks have smoke but they have no activated yet. The Germans op fire and cause a few step losses and disruptions.

Then the Germans get their activation. The 88 eliminates another tank. The Infantry eliminate two more US Infantry. The 50mm AT gun reduces another US tank.

The American armour activates and moves forward to get away from the 88 and move up to the hill. Not enough movement to fire as well.

This is turn 1. The Americans have lost three Infantry units and over half their armour. The Germans are unscathed, dug in and have not even used their mines yet.

Turn 2 begins with the P47 turning up and manages to disrupt the 88. Then the US Armour activates and gets up the hill and overruns the 50mm AT gun.

Germans then activate. 88 recovers and eliminates the reduced M4. US armoured HQ reduced. Flak, mortar and HMG's eliminate another US Infantry platoon and reduce another.

Then both end turns are drawn. US use two fate points to put one back to draw again in the hope that their Infantry can activate this round. 50% chance... nope, US Infantry do nothing turn 2.

Turn 3 Germans activate first ... game over.

I then did an analysis. In the DYO rules, the attacker is given three times the defender in points.

In this scenario the Germans have 194 points worth of units. This does not include the four improved positions and two mine fields (which there is no point value given in the DYO charts...Why not?)

The Americans have 362 points. For a 3:1 odds they need another 220 points worth of units etc.

The sequencing could have been better for the Americans, but they lost two units before the first card draw. If the HE fire missions could have been smoke that would have helped too.

From a solo view point the game was fun. I would not want to play this scenario as the Americans as it is against an opponent.

My real issue with this and Desert Heat is that the scenarios seem so unbalanced, so far. This is only my first WSR scenario and I have played 4 DH scenarios. I really want to introduce the game to my club and get them to play it, but if I had introduced them to the game with this scenario, they would have walked away going "never again".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Druelinger
United States
Joppa
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Aaron

The DYO was designed with the 2nd edition rules and not 1st edition. Most of the scenarios from DH and WSR are from 1st edition. They were playtested and again I will state, this is a game where buckets of dice are thrown and activations are picked randomly; there is a lot of luck involved.

Mine and barriers should be in the DYO and will work to add those into the DYO section.

Thank you
Sean Druelinger
LnL Publishing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sibley
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Sean

Agreed there is plenty of luck involved. However the amount of dice rolled per side can be roughly determined.

For Example -

The Americans with 4 tanks (rolling 3 dice) and 9 Infantry (rolling 2 dice) 2 HMG ( 2 dice total) = 32 dice per turn maximum per turn. With 3 shots of artillery in the game giving an additional 3 dice per hex hit.

The Germans with 6 Infantry (2 dice), Mortar (2 dice), 20mm Flak gun (4 dice), 50mm AT (2 dice), 88 AT (3 dice), 2 HMG (2 dice total) = 25 dice per turn.

Considering that the Germans are then either uphill or in improved positions and that the Americans have to move, their rolls are going to need either higher to hits or they get less rolls or both...

I know that on no given turn the Germans are going to roll 25 dice, but the potential is there. Also being on the defensive does allow units to sometimes fire twice on a turn, with opportunity fire and then when their formation activates. The attacker could get this benefit too, but much less likely as the defender moves much less and therefore giving the attacker less opportunity shots.

With near parity in fire power (dice available to roll), plenty of open ground to cover and the nature of the terrain, the victory condition of clearing the town AND ensuring that no German unit is within 2 hexes of the beaches is extremely unlikely. As the Germans you would need to be very unlucky to lose this scenario, in its current format.

I will be trying it again with the Americans having an additional 100 points of units, and the mortar starting on the board on turn one and the P47 available on the first turn, to see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sibley
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I retried this scenario with the 100 points of extras for the Americans. It bought them two extra M4A1 (used CCA vehicles and attached them to the armoured formation). An additional engineer, mortar and HMG. Also gave them the use of the P47 and the turn 3 reinforcements right from the game start.

The Americans still lost, but there were no Germans near the beach and two of the three town hexes were in American hands. A much more balanced and competitive feel, rather than the American slaughter fest of the scenario as given in the book.

The luck of the game was still there of course, but the Americans now had the firepower advantage to offset the defensive advantage of the improved positions.

I usually get bored playing solo, but this system keeps me entertained all the way through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Druelinger
United States
Joppa
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the feedback. I would be interested in your opinions on Stalin's Triumph. That one is the newest of the 3 and was not part of the original 1st editions. It also has a campaign in it.

Thank you
Sean Druelinger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sibley
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As of yet Sean i do not own Stalins Triumph. Thats on my to buy list. Now a free "playtest" copy would be nice ...

😂

I do hope to get a copy on my next payday. As i have said, i think the system rocks, and gets me to play solo to completion, its that good and immersive.

I kickstarted the World at War 85 series, which led me to discover this series, and from a personal gaming point of view, that was the best decision i have made in a long time.

Thanks for your replies and advice, its great that a designer supports their product in such away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Druelinger
United States
Joppa
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

Sadly extra copies are scarce as it has been out for a while but for the money I believe you get the most from it out of the series. 5 counter sheets, 6 maps lots of scenarios. I think it is on sale at LnL right now. I do appreciate all of your feedback. Please keep it coming as they are read by us.
Thank you
Sean Druelinger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Faircloth
United States
Loganville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I just got my copies in today. I had been looking at them for a while since being introduced to WaW85 through the kickstarter. The sale was the final straw. Looking forward to trying them all 3 out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sibley
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mefaircloth wrote:
I just got my copies in today. I had been looking at them for a while since being introduced to WaW85 through the kickstarter. The sale was the final straw. Looking forward to trying them all 3 out.

Solo or with a buddy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.