Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We had an odd event occur in a game. My friend Mike got himself two wind plants (18 and 27) early on. He built to the most cites and was collecting a lot more than everyone else. Unfortunately (for Mike), the plant market kept clogging, and since he was choosing first he couldn't get an end game plant. Late in Step 2, Mike absolutely, positively had to get two monster plants in two turns, or he was going to lose with a boatload of cash.

But the plant market was still not kind to Mike. Mike put up the 30 plant, and with the 33 hanging and the 20, 25, 26, 31, and 32 already gone, Mike could not possibly win the game without buying that plant. I bid him up to €82. On the next turn I bid him up to €80 for the 46 plant. I was bluffing, except I wasn't really bluffing because Mike knew exactly what was going on. If he let me have the plant, I was going to be in last place but Mike would be second to last. He simply had to pay the price if it left him with any chance of winning.

As it was, I underestimated his stack, and he beat me by about €20, but I did turn a runaway into a close game. Mike let me know he was unhappy with my technique, and that he'll be sure to return the favor when roles are reversed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. I am eager to see how the new power plant expansion cards will change situations like these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Mike let me know he was unhappy with my technique

Like, in a good-natured way, or did he honestly feel that what you'd done wasn't right? (If the latter, then of course he shouldn't say he's going to do it himself next time...)

That is, if you weren't a contender for the lead before or after this move, and Mike was unhappy because he felt like you were throwing the game just to keep him from winning, I would tend to agree. And if I were the person who was going to come in second, and I wound up winning because you used your resources to benefit me rather than yourself, it wouldn't really feel like a win to me.

(I'm not saying that's what happened, just curious about whether he was unhappy in the game, or for real. If you were in a distant second, and doing this put you within striking range of first, then it sounds like a great move.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
I'm not saying that's what happened, just curious about whether he was unhappy in the game, or for real.

We are very cutthroat and very friendly. We go through a lot of surprisegulpangrycrykisswowarrrhyuksurprisecryangrycrycrycry, but it's all part of playing the game. He was upset because he thought he had an easy win and suddenly I was threatening him. He said he was ready to pay €100 for the 30 plant, and in retrospect that would have been just about right. The total audacity of what I was doing may have made me bail out a bit early. He thought the next turn would be Step 3 (it was) and there would be multiple good plants available (there was only 1). Even if he paid €100 for the 30, if the 38 had come out in addition to the 46, he would have had an easy win.

Quote:
If you were in a distant second, and doing this put you within striking range of first, then it sounds like a great move.

coolcool Yeah, when Mike said he would return the favor some time, he meant he was impressed with my ingenuity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
power plant expansion cards!!???? when?

Rygel wrote:
Very nice. I am eager to see how the new power plant expansion cards will change situations like these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmartinc wrote:
soon

When will then be now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.