Popular Tags: [View All]
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the suggested number of players for Chrononaut that doesn't drag the game for too long, nor make the missions impossible to achieve?

Also, what else is recommended to make it more fun and less chaotic...I've read plucking out the "pass your hands to the right or the left" and "take everyone's cards, reshuffle and give back the number of cards they originally had" make the game more strategic and less frustrating...they do sound like good ideas...anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh.. I'd say this might not be the game for you if the element of random interaction isn't desired. That's pretty much what this game is all about.

Perhaps Khronos might be more your speed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like degrees of randomness in my games, and I own Chrononauts, I just want to know what's the best configuration if you want to play this game with people who might not enjoy total chaos and would like to have a portion of the gameplay involving viable strategical or tactical maneuvers.

Based on experience, how does this game play best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played in a while, but memory suggests that four players was the sweet spot. Three was also good, affording more control but less interaction. Only two players makes it far too tit-for-tat and not fun. (The solo game is a fun sort of puzzle, though.) I haven't played with six, nor would I want to. I think we played 5P once, and things just changed a whole lot between turns. That's fine if you want something chaotic and silly, but for this game I prefer a bit more control.

You can also reduce the chaos by eliminating the cards "Your Parents Never Met" and the one that gives you a new mission. Alternatively, you can leave them in, but only allow a player to use them on themselves (in case they feel like they are getting nowhere with their current goal).

I don't recall if we tried this or not, but I also thought the hand-passing cards could be kept if people only passed N-1 cards, where N is the smallest current hand size. It's just too frustrating to work on growing your hand only to have it given to someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch, Gary. I was thinking four players was the best set-up as well. However, if I remove the cards that deal with player's hands, then it seems I would have to remove the winning condition of 10 cards in hand, otherwise there's nothing to regulate it. But I guess, that winning condition is the least important.

Once again, thanks for the reply.

Atnier R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Four or five has been the best for me.

Another thing to speed up play is to inform very loudly and very clearly, that patching the Universe is GOOD for you. You will WIN if you have 10 cards! I've found that if I tell people this, and the tactic of patching as much as you can, secondary patching according to your identity, games get quicker and more fun.

You could change the "10 cards win" rule to "8 cards win", actually. I do that, sometimes. Just remember it has to be 8 cards when your turn is over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Simon. Now by removing the cards that mess with your hand, do you think I should keep the "win with 10 or 8 cards in hand" alternate victory? Cuz I think it would be easier to win through that method than with all original cards in deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest trying it out yourself with the setup you have. When you keep the card chaos-cards, it's harder to win the card win, as people tend to throw those cards at you when you're about to win from it. What we do is that we try to hide how many cards we have… we keep our hands visible and spread out at all times, but double some cards so it looks like you have fewer

Or if you find winning the card-win is soo easy, just shuffle the card chaos cards back into the deck. Even with the 8-card rule, I still find the bingo-victory (somebody else just patched according to your identity, and you just wait it out till it's your turn, to win) is most common. The point is to make people realise that it's good to patch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Simon. I'll give it a go without the chaos cards and the winning hand victory, unless the other players give me grief for altering the original game angry arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.