Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Games for 4 year old that won't make me poke my eyes out rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
We have lots of time to play games this summer, so I want to find games we (me, 6 year old, and sometimes husband) can play with my 4 year old that are actually enjoyable for the adults too. Suggestions??

The 4 year old loves Uno which I'm okay playing. The only other game we have that I enjoy playing with her is Outfoxed. I was looking at some of the "my first" games but can't decide if I want to go that route. Also looking at cooperative games like the ones from Peaceable Kingdom, and Ghost Fightin Treasure Hunters.

Or should I just go for games that my 6 year old can play that are interesting to me, and the 4 year old can watch or join in? (And if yes, I welcome suggestions there too!)

For reference, games my 4 year old loves that I hate playing include Uno Moo, Sneaky Snacky Squirrel, Froggy Boogie, Pengoloo, Zingo and Raccoon Rumpus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The road is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind.
badge
I taught my dog to play Mage Knight... good dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Fightin Treasure Hunters 100%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orchard was a big hit in our house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to chime in - play whatever she likes at that age. Limit it to a game or two. By all means, introduce some other games, but the joy of playing with the parents/family is a big part of that growth.

Suggestions:
HABA, Blue Orange, Amigo, Zoch, and a handful of others produce games that can be enjoyed by a wide range. (HABA is known for their family-friendly stuff.)

Maybe a Unicorn Glitterluck game? There's one that's kind of an intro to Animal Upon Animal. Also Gulo Gulo goes over well with kids because they have a chance of winning with their smaller fingers.

My youngest enjoys Outfoxed, Ice Cool, Monopoly Jr (which is designed to _end_ ), and whatever we are playing if she can join in somehow.

Ghost Fighting Treasure Hunters does get some good reviews for the younger set. Don't forget about the "toy factor" though. Being able to just play with the components does a lot for them. I pulled out Tiny Epic Mechs and the meeples were happily equipping stuff and jumping in and out of suits for 20-30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Lee
Australia
Haberfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drop It is great. 30 seconds to learn the rules, plays quickly, and holds interest for all ages. My 3, 6, and 8 year old all love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drop It and Kingdomino are great ones where your little one will get the idea of "how to play" right away while you can start teaching the 6 year old how the scoring works.

My favorite coops for young ones are Mino & Tauri and Mmm!, although Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters can also go over well due to the "toy" nature of the pieces.

If you're generally open to simple dexterity games, HABA makes the best ones for all-ages play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate Sneaky Snacky Squirrel!

Glad someone else does too. We really had fun with Monza and Richard Scarry's Busytown: Busy, Busy Airport Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Viva Topo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vande Ven Jr.
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed playing Unicorn Glitterluck and Unicorn Glitterluck: A Party for Rosalie with my kids when they were younger. My son is starting to outgrow them at 7, but the girls at 5 are into it still.

I have really like playing The Enchanted Tower multiple times with them. It's a really cool concept.

Tiny Park has been a surprisingly fun game.

The Magic Labyrinth is a cool memory style game. Depending on how advanced the 4 year old is, they might be able to play this one, or it might be a year or so off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Klitz
United States
California
flag msg tools
There's a Moose in the House is a silly fun card game my young son loves playing.

Others he likes:
Loopin' Louie
ARGH
Best Treehouse Ever
Sundae Split
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Whilst I count my schnookels”
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
I hate Sneaky Snacky Squirrel!

Glad someone else does too. We really had fun with Monza and Richard Scarry's Busytown: Busy, Busy Airport Game
Here's another vote for Monza. That game is really great!!!

However, I am going to disagree with Dave here, regarding Busy Busy Airport. That game definitely makes me want to poke my eyes out!!!

Here's a new discovery for our family: Tiny Park. It's really great and I think a 4-year old could definitely handle it.

But my biggest recommendation is Animal Upon Animal. That game is just fantastic. It's awesome on so many levels!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
The title of this thread is great!

A third vote for Monza. Dave & Ryan suggested that for me and it fit the bill, so it's only fitting for me vouch for it.

Hey, That's My Fish! has also been a long term favorite for that age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids are 12 and 7 and we still play Animal Upon Animal once and awhile. It is good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oli Clemens
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
mb
What really helped us through that life span was 'Kleine Fische' (Duck, Duck, Bruce).
Also very neat and not too boring: 'Da ist der Wurm drin'.

Please try to see the game through the eyes of your child to experience the quality of it. And one last advice: it's more important to spend some quality time playing the game with him/her than enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cass
Australia
flag msg tools
Don't be a dick
badge
Your fun isn't wrong
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been working on a communal collection of recommendations for various age. (To everyone following, feel free to add to the list).

This is the 4-6yo list:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/256234/game-recommendatio...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pitchcar mini is great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant is great with my 4 year old, even at 3 players. She gets so excited. As long as an adult does all the dividing, the game is simply a series of stay or go decisions, and you can indicate them in any way your kid prefers - we usually shout "go" or "go home" at the same time as thumbs up or thumbs down, but sometimes she likes using the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCarthy
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My daughter enjoyed (still enjoys now that she is 6) playing Formula D. In case you're not familiar with it, it's basically a roll and move with a bit of push your luck: the idea is to race a car around a track and each gear is represented by a different dice, so you move up and down gears to manoeuvre round the track, slowing down to eg. a four-sided dice to go round bends, and speeding up to eg. a 20-sided dice on straights. If you are an adult, choosing the gears and managing car damage is part of the challenge, but if you are playing with a kid you can just do those bits for them. And the more people who play the more fun it is, so it is great for family occasions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Biggs
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne or Carcassone: Star Wars.

Simple enough rules, but some depth to it. I've had great success playing this with my nephews and my daughter. The younger ones love placing tiles and putting meeples on them, while the older ones start enjoying the additional elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Zombie Kidz Evolution
4 is probably too young but 6 can work.
I don't like zombies but these are visually tame and this is a SHORT puzzley game that you'll play over and over and over as you work to add progress stickers to open envelopes with new powers and content.
This was the hit of a recent extended family vacation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got Animal upon Animal for our friend's 4 year old, and he likes it a lot.

Another game I got him was Spot it! 1,2,3, and he really likes that one, too. The nice thing about is that it can be played in the car, which is especially good on longer trips. You can either play with the rules, or just play it as a playtime activity. There are several versions of the game, and I think all of them are interesting for adults as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Balley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played a lot of Rat-a-Tat Cat with my kids when they were 4. When starting out, you can play with the outside cards face up to make the memory aspect easier.

I also think Concept Kids: Animals is a good choice. We got it for our son for his 5th birthday, and he loves it. The rules outline it as more of an activity than a game, but we quickly adapted it to limit the number of clues allowed for each card. Also, when we play 2 vs. 2, we give more points for cards guessed in fewer clues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brinker
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
"The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long, and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy"
badge
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
mbmbmb
Rhino Hero
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McKinnon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did King of Tokyo with my daughter when she was 4- just left the powers cards out and then phased them in as a "reward" once she had wrapped her head around the game. In order not to make the power cubes useless by virtue of getting rid of the cards you buy with them, we house ruled an alternative where we could spend power to reroll dice. She loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Maze Kids

It progresses through "tutorials" and you can re-run the early maps as many times as you need. The 6 year old will be engaged planning and the 4 year old should get a kick out of stirring and pouring the potion as well (heck, my 7 year old still does). Solid components good for playing around with after, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |