United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
binkman wrote:

I would caution this one with a 4 year old. We found it always quickly got to tall for the young kid and then thy inevitably tipped it over just trying to reach the top.

We liked Rhino Hero: Super Battle a lot more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Tsagas
Greece
Preveza
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Farm Rescue is a co-op game which cover a wide range of ages. It will be at Gen Con for first time by Brain Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaiser wrote:
But my biggest recommendation is Animal Upon Animal. That game is just fantastic. It's awesome on so many levels!!!!
This. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
+1 to Enchanted Tower.

Also, The Secret Door is great with young kids. It's Memory, but with a purpose. And it's cheap (although so are the components).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mole Rats in Space is another co-op option that would work at that age. Each turn, you look at the card and do what it "says" (with pictures, no reading). When you move, you only have two options. Thinking ahead strategically is very important for winning the game, but the actual turns are simple and straightforward enough for a small child. My 3-year-old loves to play with the older kids or with an adult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike V
United Kingdom
Totnes
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Monza, Formula D for the kids.

A dexterity game that's seriously good for all ages: Sticky Chameleons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela R
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivers, Roads & Rails is a great game that our family still plays as adults. Sometimes we play competitively and sometimes we play cooperatively with the goal of using every single tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stoddard
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mine likes Check the Fridge and Sleeping Queens. He’s also pretty good at Brandon the Brave. Sherlock is even fun for me, so I’d start there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you so so much everyone!!! I really appreciate all the suggestions and loved going through them and looking into the games. Some of the suggested games we have, like The Enchanted Tower, which used to make me crazy playing with the kids but we played a few times yesterday and it was great. We have Animal Upon Animal Balancing Bridge. I think it's a super cool game but my 4 year old is so wiggly that she ends up pushing the table and it falls over, so we'll wait a bit to pull it out regularly. We also have Loopin Louie which they love, and Best Treehouse Ever and Zombie Kids Evolution are on their way to me right now!! And we have Hey That's My Fish, which I just tried with my 6 year old but haven't included the 4 year old yet.

I bought way too many games in the last few days (totally fell into that trap and had so much fun falling haha) and have added a ton of your suggestions to my list to buy in the future!! From the suggestions I bought Ghost Fightin Treasure Hunters, Tiny Park and Mmm! I also got some Peaceable Kingdom cooperative games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Octopusmountain wrote:
Thank you so so much everyone!!! I really appreciate all the suggestions and loved going through them and looking into the games. Some of the suggested games we have, like The Enchanted Tower, which used to make me crazy playing with the kids but we played a few times yesterday and it was great. We have Animal Upon Animal Balancing Bridge. I think it's a super cool game but my 4 year old is so wiggly that she ends up pushing the table and it falls over, so we'll wait a bit to pull it out regularly. We also have Loopin Louie which they love, and Best Treehouse Ever and Zombie Kids Evolution are on their way to me right now!! And we have Hey That's My Fish, which I just tried with my 6 year old but haven't included the 4 year old yet.

I bought way too many games in the last few days (totally fell into that trap and had so much fun falling haha) and have added a ton of your suggestions to my list to buy in the future!! From the suggestions I bought Ghost Fightin Treasure Hunters, Tiny Park and Mmm! I also got some Peaceable Kingdom cooperative games.
Thanks for the follow-up! So often people ask for recommendations and then disappear. Hope you have some fun times with the new games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot it earlier, but here's a geeklist that might be helpful:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/256234/game-recommendatio...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Allen
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two Peaceable Kingdom games we have that have gone over well with our girls (4 and 6) are Mermaid Island and Hoot Owl Hoot!. These can quickly become uninteresting and we’ve started to go the route of pushing some more advanced games that we can help our younger daughter with. So far Qwirkle has been a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ktfod wrote:
The two Peaceable Kingdom games we have that have gone over well with our girls (4 and 6) are Mermaid Island and Hoot Owl Hoot!. These can quickly become uninteresting and we’ve started to go the route of pushing some more advanced games that we can help our younger daughter with. So far Qwirkle has been a good one.

Yes I've played Hoot Owl Hoot and none of us liked it. I got Lemonade Shake Up, Race to the Treasure and The Fairy Game. Qwirkle looks neat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Gillespie

Sarles
North Dakota
msg tools
Blokus, Milles Bornes, Waterworks, Situation 4, all the 4-year-old gamers in my life have enjoyed these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Miernowski
msg tools
Qwirkle is great but it might be a little hard to grasp for younger kids, at least in its full complexity. First, there is the point counting aspect which is not that easy as there are lots of possibilities on every turn. At the age of 6, my kids used to lose track and get bored with numbers getting higher. Moreover, it is sometimes better to place less tiles in one move in order to save others for later use and thus score some of them twice. This is rather counter intuitive.

With younger kids, you could try Latice instead. It is based on a similar tile matching mechanics but you are simply trying to get rid of all your tiles as quickly as possible which is an easier winning condition for kids to understand. There are some twists with special stones that you may earn for clever placements and that allow you to perform special actions later on. Also, it is played on a board.

That being said, you would definitely have fun with Qwirkle too, but do not expect your kids to grasp all of it at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited for you! This group will continue to be a good resource for you, but let me also recommend a few others to help you find good games as your kids grow:

One Board Family http://oneboardfamily.com/
Engaged Family Gaming http://engagedfamilygaming.com/
and The Family Gamers (which I write & podcast for) http://thefamilygamers.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oli Clemens
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
mb
So happy for you that we gave you some ideas on what to play.
Also thanks to you because your request encouraged me to make my very first GeekList to that matter.

If you want to take a peek, feel free:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/258709/kinderspiele-child...
Kinderspiele | children's games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |