Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Steenberge
United States
Painted Post
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Wednesday Game Night @ Boldo's....

When I arrived, a game of Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers was just finishing. Upon it's completion we had 7 people so split into 2 groups. Tom was itching to play Princes of Florence again after Saturday's game and seeing as it is one of my favorite games, I was happy to put it on the table. Robert & Meaghan joined us. It was Meaghan's first time playing so I quickly explained the rules and we were off trying to produce great works.

Evidently the group had learned from Saturday that letting me get 3 jesters in the first 3 auctions is not good and the bidding was much more competitive this time around. Jesters and builders were highly sought after with bids going for around 1200 and 600. In the first round Meaghan took a jester, Tom a builder, Robert built a park, and I built a lake. I then built a library and produced the only work in the first turn earning me the 3 bonus prestige. In round 2 I was once again unable to obtain a jester or builder. Robert took the jester, and Tom the second builder, where as I took a pretige card. I ended up keeping the 3 freedoms for 8 prestige and thus started accumulating 1 freedom each turn. I used my second action that turn to acquire a profession card.

As the game continues, Tom gets his 3rd builder and the rest of us get 1. Tom also gets a jester, Meaghan gets 2, and Robert 4. My lack of jesters forced me to take a recruit card on turn 6 so that I have 7 professions/recruiting cards. This combind with 3 freedoms, 2 landscapes, and 3 buildings will let me produce another 2 works in turn 7 for a total of 6. Meaghan also produced 6 works and although Robert only produced 5, his jesters earned him several bonus points and he is in the lead. After producing my 2 works I am 6 points behind Robert, but my prestige card closes the gap and I end up winning by 2. Meaghan is about 8 behind Robert and Tom is close behind her.

This was one of the most competitive games of PoF I had played in awhile. The bidding for everything was fierce, especially for the jesters. I also liked it because we all pursued different paths, Tom going builders, Robert jesters, Meaghan balanced with jesters, and me balanced with no jesters. Despite taking different paths, we were all close at the end and an additional prestige card or work could have made the difference. This is why PoF is one of my favorite games. Many paths to victory, but the only way to get there is to be agressive in the auctions and make your opponents pay to pursue the path they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.