John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I pulled this in an as yet unresolved game. I had lost two major battles in 1808. Permanent losses were high compared to the French. During the Reinforcement phase of 1809, I played Royalists and Republicans forcing Richard to swap Napoleon with another Corps from the reserve. Cool but since the Coalition was so badly beat up I couldn't fight much that year. Richard didn't want to go on the offensive without Napoleon so we kind of stared at each other for the first two Campaign Rounds trying to maneuver for a battle in the later rounds. I did have Peace Talks and Winter Quarters and played them both in sequence at the correct times so there were no movement or combat actions the last four campaign rounds. There were no Winter Attrition Losses either.

HERE IS THE GOOD PART! When Richard was due to get Napoleon back in the Reinforcement Phase of 1810 HE COULDN"T BRING HIM ON BOARD SINCE HE HAD 10 HOME CORPS already on the board and is not allowed to freely substitute corps. Whereas I was able to bring the Coalition reinforcements on and get back to near maximum on board strength and still not have to face the Napster for another year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schmalz
Germany
Köln
Nordrhein Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Another trick of sorts.
scribidinus (#40825),
don't you reinfonce first and look at mobilization limit second? Then he would still be able to swop one of his armies for Napoleon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lexi (#40912),

We did look this up because it had never happened before. If the French player already has his mobilization maxed out at 10 corps on the board at the start of the Reinforcement Phase, he may not deploy any new units from the reserve. The rule book specifically states that a player may not freely exchange corps on the board with corps in the reserve. If you can point out something different let me know but don't tell him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus,

Very interesting. It might behoove the French to make room for Nappy's return via suicidal attacks in such a situation.

I will try to avoid this in my games (or inflict it, as the case may be).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloodybucket (#41088),

This is actually more of a self-inflicted wound than a dirty trick. Unfortunately, the Coalition was not able to capitalize much due to extremely heavy losses in the Russian Army (the French played ART of WAR plus the Le Garde Imperial and killed 5 out 6 corps in a Russian stack)and in the Austrian leadership category. Getting hit with two Heroes Death cards in back to back battles and thus losing Schwartzenberg and Karl really cramped the Austrian command even though they had just played the Radezky card.

That's exactly what Richard said. He should have attacked by force marche into the mountains in the winter just make sure he lost 40,000 men before the end of the year. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.