5 Posts

Roads to Leningrad» Forums » General

Subject: A fool ages slowly lol rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stuart cudahy
Australia
flag msg tools
I thought you might like to hear one of my favourite anecdotes?
I am in my 40's now but in my 20's I was a member of the Canberra Wargame Society---about 10 of us meeting every 2 weeks.
One of us, who liked setting up monster games at our various homes and playing for sessions lasting all weekend or multiple weekends, suggested we should, or he should lol, design a game and sell it. He approached me to playtest it and I remember my words well, especially after moving away shortly thereafter from CWS's environs.
I said ' Harry ( Harry rowland ), Harry, chance would be a fine thing but it's a lot of work and I don't think you can pull it off!, so no thanks'.
A friend of mine, a bank teller told me for months afterwards that Harry made his game and cheques started to arrive and kept on arriving, in greater and greater quantities, until Harry finally sold the game to Avalon Hill for a reasonably obscene amount of money!
That game was 'Le Grand Guerre'--a multi player game of the Napoleonic Civil War.
Since then he has also designed and sold 'The World in Flames'.
And so the moral of the story? I'm a bloody idiot!!!
Life is a funny thing! cheers Stu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That game was Empires in Arms

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill W
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interesting AND entertaining anecdote.

... glad I'm monitoring the Roads to Leningrad forum and got to read it. Uhhmm, is there a "Leningrad" connection that was omitted? :::Innocent Look:::

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart cudahy
Australia
flag msg tools
I find the midgame scenarios, as russian, a little strange with the special rules? In soltsy the remnants of the 3rd mechanised division are probably doomed, in Staraya Russa, at least 2 russian divisions encircle themselves! I'm sure the designer had his reasons, an insight into the campaign no doubt, but it can be frustrating as a wargamer to commit the same errors. cheers Stuwowwowwow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires in Arms is a surrender game, not a war game. Sure everyone fights against Napoleon's army, mais ce n’est pas un jeu de guerre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.