Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant LaDue
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

So, *I'm* running the WW WBC tournament next week. This year it is on Wednesday as usual. Tournament is set up as Swiss, with a demo Tuesday night. My plan is to go through the rules for however long as we need on Tuesday, then to do a discussion of strategy of the AM scenario. We're sticking with the tournament rules as they have been for the last several years, as they are popular with regular attendees. I have prizes for first and second.

Hopefully we will get a group back into the 16-20 person range. I'd love to see new players show up, and since it is swiss you can get multiple games in on Wednesday no matter what. I expect that the Tuesday strategy discussion should be enough to get just about anyone up to a reasonable level for tournament play.

I will have a poll out on Wednesday on what day to run the tournament going forward. Try as I might, I can't figure out a way to make it work on Friday and still get it done without running headlong into Washington's War (a no go if there ever was one). So the options seem to be First Sunday (unlikely because of Hannibal), Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday (against For the People). If you have an opinion, let me know next week or message me separately. My last inquiry resulted in a rough preference for Wednesday.

Hope to see you there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To squeeze it in on a Friday you could run the first round on another night instead? Not sure if that's an attractive option.

Mr. Madison's War mostly runs on Wed. right now too so there's more CDG overlap for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ladue wrote:
I expect that the Tuesday strategy discussion should be enough to get just about anyone up to a reasonable level for tournament play.

Do you really think so? I own a copy, have played other card-driven war games, and got WW because I'm a fine of Volko's coin games. But I've never played. Do you think I could attend the demo and be able to play the event?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
Do you think I could attend the demo and be able to play the event?
The whole concept of the demos is that they are supposed to allow you to play in the event. That doesn't necessarily mean you will be a world-beater, but that you will know the rules and be able to play without constant support from someone else.

In practice, I've found that when I attend a demo and try a game for the first time, more experienced gamers go out of their way to help me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:
The whole concept of the demos is that they are supposed to allow you to play in the event. That doesn't necessarily mean you will be a world-beater, but that you will know the rules and be able to play without constant support from someone else.

In practice, I've found that when I attend a demo and try a game for the first time, more experienced gamers go out of their way to help me.

Definitely. One year I volunteered to be paired with a new player in Wilderness War because I knew I couldn't play in the next round, so I wasn't looking to win so we were able to spend more time on teaching. Worked out well for both of us .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:

Definitely. One year I volunteered to be paired with a new player in Wilderness War because I knew I couldn't play in the next round, so I wasn't looking to win so we were able to spend more time on teaching. Worked out well for both of us .

BTW, we know each other, Marty. You should have already taught me. Shame, shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant LaDue
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I can explain the worst of the mistakes that beginners make, and what you would want to do. You probably won't beat an experienced player (unless the dice love you), but you'll hang with them and learn some of the tricks. It is swiss, so you can play multiple games. It doesn't take many games to get a solid feel for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant LaDue
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I plan to split the demo up. We'll work through the rules first, and anyone that wants to stick around I'll stay to discuss strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls