Subject: Request for copies of games (especially Dominion!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duncan McGregor
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
With WBC starting in less than a week, I would like to take this chance to ask everyone to please, please, bring copies of games that you want to play. I know that cargo space can be an issue, especially for those who are flying in, but the convention only works because those who can bring games to play with everyone else. If you want to play in heats of something at WBC, please bring your copy of the game.

As implied by the title, while I hope everyone will do this for all of the games they are interested in, I'm especially asking for Dominion. In each of the last two years, we've had to turn players away because we didn't have enough copies of the game. If you're hoping to play a heat, and if you own any of the legal sets for the heats - Dominion 1st or 2nd edition, Intrigue 1st or 2nd, Seaside, or Prosperity - I am hoping you can bring them along. Thanks very much!

Please feel free to post here about other games that you know have had problems with copies of games in the last couple years. Hopefully this year everyone will be able to play the games they want to!

Edit: list of games identified as problematic so far:

Acquire
Automobile
Dominion
Great Western Trail
Ingenious
Lords of Waterdeep
Lost Cities
Ra: The Dice Game
Railways of the World
Republic of Rome
Small World
Transamerica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World had a problem last year (it's a BIG box).

I volunteered a trailer full of games from my own con's library to be co-located in some way with the WBC library, but con management declined last year over concern for how games would be managed. If game shortages are a problem again this year, I'll repeat the offer at this year's after-action meeting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thread. In particular if people can announce what games have had issues in the past few years, that can help inform fliers like me which games to try and prioritize to bring. I don't have room for more than just 1-2, but I'd like to do my best in helping out where I can, especially since the only way all this works is if people do bring their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Republic of Rome often has just enough copies, a few extra will make setup and table assignment easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious has in the past had shortages, though we didn't the last time I GMed (4 years ago), and I'm not sure what's happened in the intervening years. So if it wouldn't be inconvenient for you to bring a copy, please do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranior wrote:
if people can announce what games have had issues in the past few years

In one heat of Great Western Trail, we had exactly the right number of games. One more player and we wouldn't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Kyrkos
United States
Sunnyside
New York
flag msg tools
Why. Just why.
badge
It was the Police Patrols, snooping into people’s windows. The patrols did not matter however. Only the Thought Police mattered.
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankM wrote:
Republic of Rome often has just enough copies, a few extra will make setup and table assignment easier.
There was at least one year that I know of (before you were GM) that there were players turned away from RoR.

Lost Cities is a big one also, I have seen heats where people were waiting for pairs to finish playing so they could then play on the same copy. Fortunately Lost Cities is short enough to allow for this, but it obviously doesn't work for all games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcy Morelli
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Ingenious has in the past had shortages, though we didn't the last time I GMed (4 years ago), and I'm not sure what's happened in the intervening years. So if it wouldn't be inconvenient for you to bring a copy, please do!

I've noticed that too. So I bought a copy the last time it was on sale and I'll be bringing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C. St. Pierre
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Ingenious, copies were a problem last year, and absurdly the SF ended up being only 3 tables instead of 4 due to lack of copies.

Ra: The Dice Game also seems to have a chronic supply issue.

For Lords of Waterdeep (which I GM), there are usually enough copies, but sometimes just enough (and that is even with grabbing the copy in the Library). Last year in the 3rd heat, one player actually ran over to the vendors to buy a copy so they could get in, and I still had to turn 4 people away. I'm hoping more people bring copies this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire was short one copy in one of the heats I was in. The library’s copy was out or missing components. This delayed the start of our game for about 30 min. Luckily nobody in the game was pressed for time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Bielefeldt
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my copy of Ticket to Ride, Castles of Burgundy, Puerto Rico, Can't Stop, and Love Letter ready to go this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Columbia
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm bringing Dominion and GWT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rstpierre wrote:

Ra: The Dice Game also seems to have a chronic supply issue.

off topic, but either ABACUSSPIELE or RGG needs to get off their rear ends and reprint this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll bring Dominion this year. Getting a (smaller) box in which to organize everything doesn’t make it so difficult to do.

Even if you don’t have an organizer, you don’t need to bring everything. Just the base game will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and there weren't enough chip sets for use in 18xx games and Railways of the World, forcing the tedious use of paper money. In an ideal world, the WBC Library would have at least one chip set.

They don't wear out, they don't become obsolete, they don't take up much storage space, and they are HEAVY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janet Ottey
United States
Limerick
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think TransAmerica has run short of copies before. This first-time GM would love not to have any issues with number of copies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Craig Trader
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I solve problems, usually with computers ...
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my second copy of Transamerica for one of the WBC Transamerica tournaments (2008?). I eventually gave it to my brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Bielefeldt
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some unused rewards points at my game store that I totally forgot about until last night, so I cashed them in and got a fresh copy of Dominion 2nd Edition. That just made three WBC attendees happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
The GM for Automobile wants it on this list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Engelmann wrote:
Railways of the World had a problem last year (it's a BIG box).

I volunteered a trailer full of games from my own con's library to be co-located in some way with the WBC library, but con management declined last year over concern for how games would be managed. If game shortages are a problem again this year, I'll repeat the offer at this year's after-action meeting.

I'm in Pittsburgh and was trying to attend a day or two this year but I don't think it is going to happen.

I have 3 or 4 copies of Dominion 1st ed, a copy of Lost Cities, a copy of TransAmerica, and two Acquires (one 60s 3M and one 1999 big box).

If anyone is staying closer to Pittsburgh (or even just flying in and out) and would want to take them for the week just message me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lithy wrote:

I'm in Pittsburgh and was trying to attend a day or two this year but I don't think it is going to happen.

I hope you find a way to make it to WBC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls