Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Dubbs
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
George and I were looking for a game to play while everyone else at the Plus were busy, and we went shopping. I saw Ticket to Ride there after a while and said "George, I'm buying that, and you're learning with me." Reluctantly, he agreed.

We cracked open the game and started going through the rules and components. We wondered what the little bag with mixed colors was, but the rules told us that, and also informed us that the game comes with two advertisement cards.

We went over the rules, and just then, another game (Wings of War) ended, and another player walked in the door. Perfect! Five players! We very quickly explained the rules to everyone and off we went.

The players were Roger, Sharon, George, Karl and John. We went off like a shot, everyone taking their turns extremely quickly. We had a lot of players taking their cards off the top of the deck the whole game.

This game doesn't lend itself well to blow-by-blow accounts, so I shan't try. My tickets were primarily North-South, while George had the two huge runs East-West. Karl proceeded to build the longest road, which was indeed long, at an astounding 43 pieces. (Two not on the board). George had saved a lot of cards over the course of the game, trying to get the sets he needed to complete his massive E-W run. Meanwhile, John managed to trounce us all, completing 6 tickets and running away with the game.

The final scores were:
John: 123, George:110, Karl:99, Sharon:98, Roger:74

A quote from George: "A lot better than I expected."

My main take on the game is that it was extremely fast, even straight out of the box with new players. I loved the speed of it. Probably it helped that we'd all played Union Pacific before, but I really think anyone who has played Rummy will get this game just fine.

I tried to talk the group into playing again, but got no interest, so we went on to play Atlantic Star instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.