Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Dubbs
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brad and I got together to play Duel of Ages again.

The first game was 8 characters, 4 platters, 2 hours. I played Black with Eliot Ness, Tex, Bill Hickock, Boris Andronov, Hans August, Koguryo, Enrak the Fury and Ulf. Brad had White with Dakota, Ivymane, Siennya, Gen Gruin, Fen Lin, Homer Morgan, Seveneyes and Grok.

I took the Continental Divide for my colonials and Hans August. Brad took Fulda Gap for his modern characters. We drew two ancients that went in between. I always seem to wait until the last minute to place my own platter. This seems to have positive effects in that I can see what the map looks like before playing my piece. On the other hand, labyrinths tend to face the wrong way and so on. Brad effectively ended up able to place the last three keys since we saved team bases until the end, and I had no choice on my last placement. Brad was much happier with his board setup in this game.

This game was all about the Ulf. I kept going to the Future labyrinth and amazing with her. She had copies at the base pulling out equipment and placing the jump pad. I ended up with all 6 Ulfs on the board - somehow Brad never got any of them killed. He was extremely unhappy about Ulf and didn't have too much fun in this game.

This game saw the first attempt to use the towers that I've seen. Brad tried to use the Tower of Havoc to give away Ulf's equipment but failed. It was a great idea though! Probably more effective would have been to smash Ulf with Grok, Fen Li or Siennya.

Brad was also annoyed that he squeaked a lot in the mazes. To a large degree, he was sending characters into the mazes regardless of era. many of those squeaks become passes if he collects the era bonus.

Anyways, the first game ended 3-1 Black, as I had Lith Alliance, Colonial and Mercenary Mazes where Brad just had the future labyrinth. We left this game thinking that more characters and time were needed for a good game.

We played a game of Zombies then regrouped for another game. This time, we played 12 characters, 5 platters, 4 hours. I was White with Annah Mischkev, Thump, Perindor, Kassina, Commodore Blaylock, Cayriss, Whip Viper, Venya 8, Dr. Hume, Piccolo, Tanner and Leo Penney. Brad had Camden Drake, Kit Carson, York, Ivymane, Weinstein Bros., Amelia Pike, Sgt. Gritt, Ryan, Agent 911, Homer Morgan, Wilder and and Princess Sunglow, who played prominently again this game.

First blood went to Black, as Camden Drake had drawn the Compound Blow and managed to kill Venya 8 as she made her first run to the Ruins of Cany XII.

Kit Carson attempted to raid White's vault, but ended up captured himself. Sgt. Gritt joined him a turn or so later after Cayriss got a double amaze on him. Unfortunately, around this time, Princess Sunglow came in and managed an Amaze, freeing everybody. It was a brilliant play because she has a great chance (2-5), and even if she ends up in prison she still helps her team with a universal +1 Hit.

Cayriss managed to kill Camden Drake at the entrance to the future labyrinth. Unfortunately, Agent 911 jumped in, making the equipment impossible to get, another great play by Brad.

There was a lot more combat in this game, both melee early and with ranged weapons later. I attribute this to more aggressiveness, more characters and more time.

Annah was headed for the mercenary camp when she got a rude surprise from York with an AK-47. Fear him. He killed her, and so Kassina ate her pet cat (Muffy?) and went after York as the Dragon. She hit him hard but failed to kill him. He ran away to the Royal Tournament and that was that.

The last turn saw me finally having moved past Agent 911 and I had sent Koguryo into the enemy base. Both managed to fail, Cayriss managed a FOPP and ended up in prison. A fitting ending for an overall poor showing for White. The score was 5-3, with Black ahead in the Lith Alliance, Modern Labyrinth, Colonial Labyrinth and characters. White had the Tournament, Ancient Labyrinth and Ruins of Cany XII.

Brad and I both agreed this was a good format, and I look forward to trying it again. Someday, I will see someone complete one of the adventures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Re:Session Report
RogerD (#40899),
I'm only replying to this review because i need proof that i can see into the future...note the dates of these posts...either i have travelled into the future and am responding to this review before it was written or he is reviewing the game after i comment about his review ????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.