Subject: An Epic Session Report of an Epic 20 Point Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got a new guy at the office the other week. His name is Alex. I ran into him in the kitchen. Don't worry it didn't hurt too much. We got to talking. At one point in the conversation interests were brought up. I took the opportunity to tell him I am very interested in board games. He replied that he like board games too! He listed a few of the standard ones we BGGers dread to hear. But he was enthusiastic about it so he must be interested in some more.

Due to my lack of response from other co-workers concerning playing board games during lunch, I took the chance here to ask him if he would be interested in playing some better board games. He said he would definitely be interested. So we set our first date meeting to be the following day.

I brought in Nexus Ops because I thought it would be easy to teach and fun for him to play. Not to mention the advice from people I got here that it is a good Gateway/Intro game. It seemed to work out great.

We usually start playing around 12:30. I had the board all set up the first time he came over so I could easily explain things and we could get a few turns in. He caught on to the flow of the game right away.

We started our first game around Wednesday. We concluded it by Friday. Alex won. I didn't let him win. About mid-game I lost sight of the most important aspect of the game, "Win Battles". By the time I tried to make up for the error it was too late. I had left a lone Lava Leaper too near his base and that proved to be my demise. Also we only played to 10 points so we would be able to finish the game. I think the score ended 10-8. Alex really enjoyed the game and wanted to keep playing. So we decided to start another one the next week.

We were able to get two games in the following week. The first one had some moments but nothing too exciting. I rushed out as fast as I could. It was about even in regards to mines and Rock Striders. Alex didn't move out as fast as I did but rather played it safe and kept his production high. Alex was the first to the monolith but that was easily wrenched from him. I wish I could be more detailed about this game but I can't remember much. I won 12 - 8 or something like that. It was a close game. We both had a similar strategy. Buy big units win small battles.

The next game was a riot though. I ended up getting all but one of the Rock Striders from exploration. Alex got most of the 2 mines but there was one near center board that I would be able to control. I decided to try a new strategy for this game. Over-production. Produce as many cheap units as I can and push them to the front lines. This seemed viable considering all the free units I had received already. I know I produced at least one dragon. He was used to protect the monolith.

So even though Alex's production was quite high I was able to keep up in the VP department. Mostly from pushing the front line's forward. Alex just didn't win enough battles early on in this game. Once I fortified my front hexes it was hard to achieve a battle win.

This is not to say he did horrible however. He was constantly stealing the monolith from me. My win in this game came from that act though. He got a Rubium Dragon up there and some other unit. I was able to score 5 points for the win the following round through the kill of his dragon on the Monolith and some other Secret Mission card. I was able to swarm the monolith and play a few Action Energize Cards to guarantee Victory. Alex was very surprised. I won 12 - 6.

Another close game in my opinion. We both learned how quickly the score can change so prepared for that in the next game.

After these two games Alex wanted to play an epic game. He wanted something that would last longer. I suggested we could play to 20 points. We both agreed and decided to start it the following week. This was a really fun game for both.

This game was a little more balanced in regards to exploration tiles. We both ended up with about the same production and bonus units. It would be my 13 rubium a turn to his 11. Forgive me if those numbers don't add up correctly.

I had a very similar strategy to our last game. I initially rushed out and always tried to keep Rock Striders and Humans maxed out. I was playing a little less aggressive here. I stopped forward movement at about center field. I just kept building up the amount of troops on those hexes. I did leave my self vulnerable a few times when I had to build some expensive units but Alex failed to take advantage of my exposed lone units.

The monolith was heavily contested. For at least four turns control would switch. Alex used heavy hitters, I swarmed. There were a few times I bought heavy hitters though. The first time was when I got the Lava Leaper Blitz card and Dragons were bought when it felt “good” and production was maxed out in Rock Striders and Humans.

Alex could only defend the monolith for so long until the expense of those heavy hitters finally set in. He needed to regroup near his home base but it would be too late. After advancing the troops and restocking I had a lot of units on the board.

It seems here though that Alex finally grasped the importance of the number of units on a hex. After a battle I had with him he attack my two lone units with a least 5. He won that battle but as I mentioned it would be too little too late.

We decided to call it when I was at 19 and he controlled only 4 hexes with a human a piece on them. As you can see his regrouping didn’t consist of building units and keeping them there but rather taking pot shots at me. This is a viable tactic, to be sure, but maybe not so late in the game.

Overall he did much better. But with a game to 20 points I definitely had longer to build up and fortify. We ended at a score of 19 to 14 I think. Not a total blow-out of course.

So, I’ve found a new gamer. We’ve played other things and he seems to like it. So, I’m sure we’ll continue playing. Seems I’ve done my duty and added another to the ranks.

Games we’ve played
Nexus Ops -> Fluxx-> Lost Cities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good session report(s)! thumbsup

Epic 20 point game sounds cool. Reminds me of the first time I played Nexus Ops with my fiancee, we played to 12 points and I just barely won, but she wanted to keep going. She suggested that from that point on, when a unit dies it goes back in the box and cannot be built again. We then played until all of our units were built and fighting and I eliminated every one of her units. The final battle was something like one rock strider with a ton of humans and fungoids and crystallines vs. a horde of humans, fungoids, and crystallines. We were scoring points the whole time, too, and I ended the game with about 4-something points, and she had 30-something. We both had a great time. The next time we played, it was her suggestion, and she won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
United States
Amherst
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
You must mean 40 something points, not 4? Great session report by the way. Have you tried the game with more than two players? It's very different,and very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yeah, I meant 40-something.

Haven't played it with more than 2, yet. I imagine it is great fun, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
United States
Amherst
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, with multi-player games there's the added element of diplomacy, as you for alliances and such. However, despite having more players the games often go quicker, because players can't at all afford to be defensive. Also the monolith is a bit more interesting, if all the players are consistently knocking eachother off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.