Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a full afternoon of football I decided to get really involved and play a game of Pizza Box Football. Since my wife isn’t into games or football for that matter, I had to play the solitaire version. One thing that I’ve learned after watching so much football is that devising a game plan and sticking with it is crucial for success. So, my game plan was simple: win it on the ground and play the odds and stop my opponents running game.

I was the home team and lost the coin toss so kicked off to the visitors, which started off at their own 23 yard line. Sticking with my game plan I defended against the run, however 3 straight pass plays (one was an incompletion) and they had the ball at my 33 yard line. I managed to hold them after that but they kicked a field goal to go ahead 3-0. After starting on my 13 yard line, I couldn’t get the run going after a loss and my pass plays were ineffective as well and had to punt. The resulting punt put the visitors on their own 43 and again my run defense on first down plays was ineffective as three straight pass plays put them in the endzone for a 10-0 lead. I started to have some success in the running game on the next series of plays but I coughed up the ball on my own 49. The visitors quickly drove down but I intercepted the ball and had it on my own 23. I abandoned my game plan and tried three straight passes, which were all incomplete forcing me to punt once again. After two more changes of possession, the quarter ended with the visitors ahead 10-0.

After stuffing them for a total loss of 5 yards on their own 12 yard line I forced them to punt and a good return allowed the best field position of the day for me on the visitors 30 yard line. Feeling the momentum had shifted, I stuck with my game plan and started to run the ball. A huge 13 yard gain on second down moved it down to the 18 and I kept running some more until I threw a short 6 yard pass for a touchdown making the score 10-7. I was sure that the game was going my way now but little did I know I was to be deceived. On the ensuing kickoff, I pinned the visitors back on their 13 yard line. However, nothing I did seemed to stop them and a 16 play drive resulted in a 4 yard touchdown run and not leaving me much time for my own drive (3 incomplete long passes). The score at halftime was 17-7.

I received the kickoff in the second half only to be forced to punt it away after 2 miserable runs and an incomplete pass. The visitors didn’t do much better though so I got it back again on my own 17. After a good gain of 4 yards on first down I tried a short pass that was intercepted and ran back for a touchdown making the score 24-7. It didn’t get any better as late in the quarter I would throw another interception that resulted in a field goal for the visitors and a 27-7 shellacking after 3 quarters. By this time I felt the desperation and completely abandoned my game plan and would not do another running play. The visitors scored one more touchdown on a long drive (extra point missed) to make it 33-7. I managed to make one nice drive starting on my own 27 after the kickoff that resulted in a touchdown but it was too late as the game ended soon after, 33-14.

The final stats were Visitors 82 yards rushing on 26 attempts (3.2 yards per attempt) and 22 of 34 for 247 passing compared to my 55 yards rushing on 15 attempts (3.7 yards per attempt) and 16 of 37 for 165 yards passing. The most telling stat however was the average starting position in which I started on my own 28 and the visitors averaged a starting position on their own 44.

Although my rushing yards per attempt was better than the visitors I felt that I had to abandon my game plan early due to my interceptions that got me behind early. The next time I will play (probably next Sunday) I will try again to grind it out on the ground and hopefully have a better success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or do the rushing stats seem consistently low in terms of yards per attempt? From the example here, with both teams averagin less than 4 yards per carry, that seems to be what most of my games end up like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
From the way the charts are constructed, averaging less than 4 per carry is somewhat unusual (should be less than 50% of the time) in a game. Over a season, it's pretty unlikely. It's even more unlikely for both teams to average less than 4 per carry in a game, though of course it can happen.

Unless you're only running in obvious run situations (against run defenses), you should typically average 4+.

Erik Smith
On The Line Game Company
The Makers of Pizza Box Football
and Pizza Box Baseball
www.OTLgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.