Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of Empires Deluxe Edition Journal Part 2

This is the second in a series of posts to introduce Martin Wallace’s Struggle of Empires Deluxe Edition by Eagle-Gryphon Games. We hope to generate interest and comments for the game.
NOTE: All images and concepts in this post are in the prototype draft stage.

The Kickstarter for the deluxe edition will launch on August 15th 2019.

• The first journal entry introduced the prototype draft COVER and GAME BOARD. SEE UPDATE BELOW
• This journal entry will focus on COMPONENTS
• The final journal entry will cover RULES & VARIANTS.

I am the project manager and responsible for creative realization of the Struggle of Empires Deluxe Edition.
João Tereso is our illustrator and is also responsible for the graphic design and layout.

GAME BOARD UPDATE Size: 850mm x 500mm / 33½ x 19¾

Game Board Iterative Improvements
• Phase VI revised to fit in with other phases artistically and added icons for End of Game scoring.

• Updated Baltic States and Ottoman Empire VP scrolls by removing 3rd place score as it is not possible given the number of control markers available for those countries.
Also, Baltic Sea will be changed to Baltic or Baltic States.

• More Iterative Improvements coming based on play testing in progress.

THE COMPONENTS

Struggle of Empires has a long list of components. I have broken them down into 4 categories: Game Status Markers, Dice, Player Pieces, and Tiles & Markers. I have draft art for most of the components and will provide updates when other items become available.

1. GAME STATUS MARKERS
The major innovation for the game status markers was the creation of the game track. The game track lists all six Phases for each War along with iconic reminders. This helps organize and speed up game play.

1 War Track and 1 Game Track Marker (wood): These markers track the current War and the current Phase in the War. Each Phase has iconography as a reminder of game play for that Phase.

Edit - Updated to add illustration

1 Auction Gavel (wood): This denotes the player who will make the first Auction Proposal in Phase II. This is given to the player who will start the next Auction Round (the start player for the first War and the player who acts last at the end of the first and second Wars). At the start of each Auction, the Auction Gavel is passed to the player to the left as a reminder of who will begin the next Auction for the Phase. At the end of the Auction Phase, it is given to the player who will play last for this War. This player will begin the Auction Proposal Round for the next War.
There will be more detail in final art.

1 Active Player Wind Rose Marker (wood): This is given to the start player at the beginning of Phase III: Actions. As each player finishes their 2 actions they will pass the Active Player Marker to the person who plays next as determined by the order of play in the Auction Display. This serves as a reminder of who the active player is.
There will be more detail in final art.

65 Neutral Country Markers (cardboard) and Bag (cloth): The neutral country markers will be in the same shape as the player control markers. We will also provide a cloth bag!

Unrest and Money Counters: Ample Unrest and Money counters will be provided in cardboard. We will have a stretch goal for mini-poker style chips for Unrest and there will be an add on for those who would like metal coins.

Edit - Updated to add Illustration

Art for Unrest is not yet available.

2. DICE
One set of the dice described below are included in the game. One of the Stretch Goals will add an additional set of Battle and Distant Sea Move dice.

4 Battle Dice: These are regular 6-sided dice in white and red.
Art is not yet available.

1 Distant Sea Move Die: This is a special 6-sided die that show success on 4 sides, Sink! on 1 side and Failure to Move on 1 side – the latter 2 will include cost to recover. This will be covered in detail in Rules & Variants Journal.
Art is not yet available for dice.

3. PLAYER PIECES
Our innovation for the player pieces was removing the Alliance tiles and replacing them with wooden Local Alliance markers in each player’s color. This allows players to create local alliances directly on the game map in the indicated area in each country that has one. This makes it easy to see which alliances are available and which player an alliance for each country directly on the map where is matters.

Each player will have wooden pieces in their own color for the following:

6 Local Alliance Markers

Grand Alliance, Victory Point, and Population Markers (1 each)

20 Control Markers

Military Units: 8 Navy, 14 Army, 2 Forts

EDIT - Updated to add Illustration

Player Mat/Aid 120mm x 260mm / 4¾ x 10¼ inches
This shows the Regular and Special Actions on the Front and will have copies of all of the tiles on the back.

4. TILES AND MARKERS
Having removed the Alliance Tiles, there were still a lot of tiles making it difficult for players to remember them and how they worked. The innovation here was to break the tiles into categories based on how they are used. This led us to six categories.

• Trade Tiles: Trade tiles are placed directly on the map in the country for which they provide trade income. As a Special Action, players can claim one of these tiles and place them in their personal supply. They can be used as a Free Action once per War. They are flipped when used and refreshed at the end of the War.

Free Action Tiles: As a Special Action, players can claim a Free Action Tile from the general supply on the game board and place them in their personal supply. They can use them as a Free Action once per War. They are flipped when used and refreshed at the end of the War.

Improvement Tiles: As a Special Action, players can claim an Improvement Tile and place it in their personal supply. Improvements grant specific ongoing abilities during the game.

Military Tactics Tiles: As a Special Action, players can claim a Military Action tile that the player keeps in their personal supply until they decide to use it. After use, it is returned to the general supply on the game board.

Immediate Action Tiles: As a Special Action, players can claim an Immediate Action Tile. Immediate actions are used immediately and then removed from the game.

Covert Action Markers: Incite Piracy and Incite Colony Revolt These are no longer tiles, but are special wooden markers that a player may claim as a Special Action. One is used to Incite Pirate Attack and the other to Incite Colony Revolt. These are special attacks on any other player’s control maker in certain areas of the board (even an ally). The areas of the board where these can be used have icons of the Covert Action as a reminder.

I hope you have enjoyed this draft preview of Martin Wallace's Struggle of Empires Deluxe Edition by Eagle-Gryphon Games. Please look for the final Journal on Rules & Variants, which will be posted before the Kickstarter Launch on August 15th 2019.

Ralph, João, and the Eagle-Gryphon Games Team
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looks great, except for the wooden soldiers. Ick. Plastic miniatures would be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Surely the Baltic States should not be called "Baltic Sea"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkatron wrote:
Looks great, except for the wooden soldiers. Ick. Plastic miniatures would be better.

Wooden soldiers all the way for me, no plastic please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:

• Updated Baltic States and Ottoman Empire VP scrolls by removing 3rd place score as it is not possible given the number of control markers available for those countries.
Also, Baltic Sea will be changed to Baltic or Baltic States.

I believe I covered Baltic States.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzen wrote:
Monkatron wrote:

Wooden soldiers all the way for me, no plastic please.

In play testing, wooden pieces work very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Hammonton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooden army miniatures don’t look nice. Plastic ones would be infinitely better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuzzcrumbler wrote:
Wooden army miniatures don’t look nice. Plastic ones would be infinitely better.

They aren't meant to be 'miniatures' they are just wooden meeples.

Please don't change them! Strongly prefer wooden meeples for this kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Gomez
Canada
flag msg tools
Hard pass on plastic. Wood all the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodolphe Destombes
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Wood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Spain
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OlorinsCousin wrote:
Hard pass on plastic. Wood all the way.

Hard pass on plastic and wood. Cardboard all the way.

PS: I’m serious. There’s absolutely no need to overproduce the game sooo much and make it cost double or more than before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb

Question:

Are the tiles square? I really like the long, big and sturdy nice looking tiles of the last version.
Can you show one compared to the other and tell us kore about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the tiles are square. They are a similar size in area to the originals - but will be thicker and better grade cardboard.

They are various sizes so as to distinguish the type of action provided more easily - as detailed in the Journal above.

Note that Alliances no longer have tiles. Instead, you claim the alliance printed on the board by placing your own colored Local Alliance marker there. These are removed and returned to personal supply at the end of each War.

The Trade tiles are placed in their countries at game set up. Players claim them from the board and place them next to their player aid for use.

I have themed the Piracy and Colony Revolt tiles as "Covert Operations: Incite Piracy and Incite Colony Revolt." We have made special wooden pieces for them. We are also going to add reminder images in the countries where they can be used.

The other tiles have been broken down into distinct categories each with a different color: Free Actions (Use once per War), Immediate Actions (Use immediately and remove from game), Improvements (permanent on going effect), and Military Tactics (Keep until used and then return to general supply).

All of this makes it a lot easier to understand and use these tiles and abilities.

Ralph
EDIT - I will have to get back to you regarding a comparison shot. Plus, the current ones are still in draft stage and do not have final art and wording - though they are a good prototype version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your thorough response, really appreciate it.
No problem regarding the comparisson shot. I have good faith in a beautifull game.

Looking at the board feels a lot different, and i have the urge to say i like the old one better. But the new one, as i read, is more intuïtieve.
The more i look at the board the more i like it (new board i mean).

Thanks for bringing this gem to the market again. Cant wait for the kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ralph,

In the most thumbed review on Struggle for Empires (he loved the game), there are a few points on rules for streamlining.

Do you guys have that in your acope?

Here is the review:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/258900/massive-review-quirk...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Winford
United States
Fairbanks
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excited that this game is getting a deluxe edition with a kickstarter, such a unique and great design. Love the direction that the kickstarter is going with the game.

My only feedback is that it would nice to have some art on the tiles. The tiles that just have iconography look okay, but the tiles that just have text I feel could be improved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fading Captain wrote:
Excited that this game is getting a deluxe edition with a kickstarter, such a unique and great design. Love the direction that the kickstarter is going with the game.

My only feedback is that it would nice to have some art on the tiles. The tiles that just have iconography look okay, but the tiles that just have text I feel could be improved.

That is a great suggestion. It could. Be rather full if its only functional. For immersion pictures would be nice.

Though choices for designkap a game of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As to art on the tiles:

That is indeed the plan for the tiles.

We needed a functional version for prototypes.

João still have a few tricks up his sleeve!

Edit - added line at top to clarify the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arontje wrote:
Ralph,

In the most thumbed review on Struggle for Empires (he loved the game), there are a few points on rules for streamlining.

Do you guys have that in your acope?

Here is the review:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/258900/massive-review-quirk...

Absolutely yes! I have read it several times including one more time this morning.

Journal 3 - Rules & Variants will address the issues raised in this post - as well as issues raised in other posts.

Ralph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My illustrator, João, has a complicated schedule, so I did not expect to see anything new from him until the beginning of August. However he has surprised me with some drafts for more of the game components, especially the player pieces.

The following will fill in some of the blank spots in my Journal Entry for Components.

ADDITIONAL COMPONENTS FOR STRUGGLE OF EMPIRES DELUXE EDITION

PLAYER PIECES

COINS

GAME TRACK MARKERS (Phase and War)

3D BOX RENDER

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
My illustrator, João, has a complicated schedule, so I did not expect to see anything new from him until the beginning of August. However he has surprised me with some drafts for more of the game components, especially the player pieces.

The following will fill in some of the blank spots in my Journal Entry for Components.

ADDITIONAL COMPONENTS FOR STRUGGLE OF EMPIRES DELUXE EDITION

PLAYER PIECES

COINS

GAME TRACK MARKERS (Phase and War)

3D BOX RENDER

Enjoy

WoW!

I must say, those all look very very beautiful!

Really like the wooden pieces. Please keep thise, no plastic soliders. This is perfect. Looks great. I suppose a sticker or print comes on the control marker?

And that box....that is just a beauty!!

For coins, since it comes to kickstarter, perhaps an addon for metaal, real coins.

Im in love with this game now, and i Will back!
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To respond to a few questions and requests:

Metal Coins will be an Add On. We realize many people already have them or don't want them; however, for those who would like them, we plan on having them.

Here are some photos with pieces on the draft game board of the original game tiles and the new draft tiles. These do not yet include illutrations, but they will.

There will some stretch goals to upgrade cardboard to wood. These will not affect game play and will be available in a Kickstarter Upgrades package for anyone who wants to add them to the base game after the Kickstarter.

Note: The pieces already shown in wood above will be standard in the game, not stretch goals.

Stretch Goal upgrades to wood will include the Auction Gavel and the Active Player Wind Rose and others to be revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
callme DESDINOVA
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:

This shows the Regular and Special Actions on the Front and will have copies of all of the tiles on the back.

How many copies of this will be included in the game? There should be at least 3 English ones.

In every game I have played or watched, players were fighting over the use of the one English copy that was included in the previous edition. This is especially important when you have new players that don't have all the tiles memorized. Come to think of it, I don't have all the tiles memorized anymore. It's been a long time since I played. So If you want me to be able to introduce the game to new people more effectively, I will need at least 3 copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grognard1914 wrote:
DragonCat wrote:

How many copies of this will be included in the game? There should be at least 3 English ones.

In every game I have played or watched, players were fighting over the use of the one English copy that was included in the previous edition. This is especially important when you have new players that don't have all the tiles memorized. Come to think of it, I don't have all the tiles memorized anymore. It's been a long time since I played. So If you want me to be able to introduce the game to new people more effectively, I will need at least 3 copies.

There should be one for each player. I still think it was stupid for Empires AOD to only come with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries - this is planned for 7 copies - 1 for each player.

I believe it is very important for each player to have 1 so they can easily look over the the play summary as well as the tiles and markers in the general supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |