Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Struggle of Empires» Forums » News

Subject: EGG Struggle of Empires Deluxe Edition - Journal 2 - Components rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
No worries - this is planned for 7 copies - 1 for each player.

I believe it is very important for each player to have 1 so they can easily look over the the play summary as well as the tiles and markers in the general supply.

Man, so many good info. What’s the catch? There has to be downside?

Oh i know.... the waiting time before it arrives at your door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?
badge
Baah!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuzzcrumbler wrote:
Wooden army miniatures don’t look nice. Plastic ones would be infinitely better.

Having playtested it with the wooden components, I disagree. Please keep the wooden bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark. Thanks to your group there in Maine for spending Saturday with me! I had a great time.

To be clear - we played with prototype wooden components for the armies, fleets, and forts. We used the original game's cardboard control markers.

I did find it much easier to pick up, position and count the wooden pieces (IMHO) than the cardboard chits.

When we have the actual laser cut wooden meeples, I think it will look and play even better!

Kind regards,
Ralph
Edit for typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Koller
Norway
Blommenholm
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also very much like the option of plastic miniatures. I just think it looks better when representing soldiers and ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the wooden components
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pardo
Belgium
Grand-Leez
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also vote for the wooden components.

Really looking forward this KS.

This game is such a gem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We will be going with wooden components.

The space we have is small, so the wooden pieces will work much better with the space with have. Plastic miniatures take space.

Personally, I feel the wooden pieces fit the period well and give warmth to the look and feel of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Ludica blog
badge
"We see our role as essentially defensive in nature...."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever consider 15mm discs for armies? They could be stacked, so the footprint of each player would be only 1 disc. Might be too different from what players expect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prael wrote:
Ever consider 15mm discs for armies? They could be stacked, so the footprint of each player would be only 1 disc. Might be too different from what players expect...

You can stack wooden soliders too if you put it on hi side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Spain
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prael wrote:

You can stack cardboard counters, and it would be so much cheaper to produce. Obviously they won't, so they can charge 100$. Unnecessary deluxifying indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mazmaz wrote:
Obviously they won't, so they can charge 100$. Unnecessary deluxifying indeed.

Using a quote inspired by prael's avatar above: Donald Sutherland as Oddball:

"Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves."

A deluxe version of the game (as compared to a "cheaper version") implies more cost as more is being spent on components, art, and most importantly, rules curation - including curating variants.

There are many who are thrilled to have a deluxe version. I grant that you think it is unnecessary for yourself, but please check it all out when the Kickstarter launches. If you have reasonable criticisms for what it is at that time, I will be happy to hear them.

In any case, all of the wooden pieces can be stacked, including the control markers, which would make the most sense to stack if desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pardo
Belgium
Grand-Leez
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly my expectations from the reprint of a Deluxe version . Particularly for a game of that magnitude in terms of game length, complexity and theme.

I would like a bigger board, nicer components, updated/ streamlined rules. That all participate to the fun and the experience (cfr the new versions of Brass)

That game definitely deserves such a treatment.

Hopefully via stretched goals or add-ons you will be able to meet everybody’s expectations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkatron wrote:
Looks great, except for the wooden soldiers. Ick. Plastic miniatures would be better.

So, so disagree. That would move it from instabuy to neverbuy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soulyogurt wrote:
Monkatron wrote:
Looks great, except for the wooden soldiers. Ick. Plastic miniatures would be better.

Absolutely, plastic would be horrible in this, especially dinky little plastic soldiers at the size that would work for this map, those almost always look and feel horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question for RALPH:

How big is the new map? Comparison picture with new bord?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Aron,

I don't have the actual new board at hand for a photo but I do have the proposed dimensions.

Here is a comparison of the sizes:

>SOE Original Board: 603mm x 432mm or 23 1/4" x 17"

>SOE Deluxe Board: 850mm x 500mm or 33 1/2" x 19 3/4 inches

In other words, the new board is about 10" longer and 3 inches taller than the original board. In addition, the original board doesn't include space for the tiles or the game track.

The larger size of the SOE Deluxe board allows space for the tiles, the game track, and a slight enlargement of the map area.

For a 3' x 5' table, its size easily allows an additional 10 inches on the top and bottom of the map which is ample area for the player aids (around 7" tall) and the player's personal supply of components. And on either end of the map there would be a little bit more than a foot of space on each side.

We played with 3 players on each side of the table and the last player on the map side. This gave lots of space on the other end of the table.

The player aids will have a summary of actions on one side and a pictured display of the tile display on the game board. This allows players to more easily note which tiles are still available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
Hi Aron,

I don't have the actual new board at hand for a photo but I do have the proposed dimensions.

Here is a comparison of the sizes:

>SOE Original Board: 603mm x 432mm or 23 1/4" x 17"

>SOE Deluxe Board: 850mm x 500mm or 33 1/2" x 19 3/4 inches

In other words, the new board is about 10" longer and 3 inches taller than the original board. In addition, the original board doesn't include space for the tiles or the game track.

The larger size of the SOE Deluxe board allows space for the tiles, the game track, and a slight enlargement of the map area.

For a 3' x 5' table, its size easily allows an additional 10 inches on the top and bottom of the map which is ample area for the player aids (around 7" tall) and the player's personal supply of components. And on either end of the map there would be a little bit more than a foot of space on each side.

We played with 3 players on each side of the table and the last player on the map side. This gave lots of space on the other end of the table.

The player aids will have a summary of actions on one side and a pictured display of the tile display on the game board. This allows players to more easily note which tiles are still available.

Thank you so much for your fast and thoughtfull answer!

Cant wait for the kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Balla
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I read all the comments to date and I really, really like he way the Deluxe Ed is shaping up. I really like the wood armies over plastic (for this type of game), also.

The only GLARING thing I'd change is going to light blue on the map oceans -they allow much, much better contrast for the components on the mapboard and overall allow viewing the map situation much more easily.

The old map had this part absolutely perfect with the map colors and contrast -please consider/poll this decision (as the map is what we look at during the entire game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
Carnegie
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister703 wrote:

The old map had this part absolutely perfect with the map colors and contrast -please consider/poll this decision (as the map is what we look at during the entire game).

omg, I hated the old map and board. Sure, visibility is important -- you want the game to be easily playable and the aesthetic shouldn't impede that. But the old map was too garish, too cartoony, and too much clipart. Just not immersive or engaging. I actually had trouble getting the game to the table with new players because of how ugly it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm okay with the old map, other than it is a little too small. Good to hear the new version will be larger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister703 wrote:
Well, I read all the comments to date and I really, really like he way the Deluxe Ed is shaping up. I really like the wood armies over plastic (for this type of game), also.

The only GLARING thing I'd change is going to light blue on the map oceans -they allow much, much better contrast for the components on the mapboard and overall allow viewing the map situation much more easily.

Now you said that, i too like the coloring of the old board better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Koller
Norway
Blommenholm
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soulyogurt wrote:
Monkatron wrote:

I'm totally opposite. The wooden soldiers moved it from instabuy to neverbuy for me.

Wooden soldiers never looks good in my opinion, espescially in a game set in the imperial era. Tin soldier would be best

Seems like the designers mind is set on wood though. I guess I'll just have to pimp up my old copy with the nice redesigned map from the files section here and some tin soldiers and ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim landers
msg tools
mb
OVERPRODUCE?! Sounds like someone who is going to play the game once, put it away and never play again. By the way, is the car you drive made out of cardboard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim landers
msg tools
mb
YES!! THAT IS WHAT DELUXE MEANS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to each of you for your interesting and helpful discussion.

I am currently working on the 3rd and final Journal Entry for the Rules & Variants.

We are also making progress through iterative improvements to the board and other game components.

We also are all systems go for the Kickstarter Launch on August 15th. There is still a lot to be done, but we are in very good shape to be ready in time.

Kind regards,
Ralph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |