Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

A solution in search of a problem. (And also a better product name. Seriously.)

Apparently just overproducing games wasn't driving the hobby exclusionarily expensive in itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
seamlessly integrate the physical and digital worlds.

Until the cat jumps on the table, or the table leg gets bumped by someone getting up to grab a drink.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kikaidurr
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like an unnecessarily expensive videogame. Whats the point of even having a board and minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Shader10 wrote:
Apparently just overproducing games wasn't driving the hobby exclusionarily expensive in itself.

They saw the recent "1000$ for a game?" thread, and took it as a challenge.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually this kind of thing will be an awesome technology... when they've worked out all the kinks and the price drops to the point where it's super cheap. We're still in the "cutting edge" phase where it's wicked expensive, somewhat impractical and probably doesn't work as seamlessly as you'd like.

But eventually it will get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
I get it.

https://www.japandict.com/%E3%83%86%E3%83%BC%E3%83%96%E3%83%...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to comparing this to the Virtualboy in 25 years. Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stade Garibaldi
msg tools
So you pay premium for a system that only works for half a dozen games, just to make your gaming experience more fidly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Johnson
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turning your 60$ drink spill into a 600$ drink spill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like an evolution of DropMix. Have a mat that unfolds with NFC readers spaced about 3-5" apart. The tiles probably have NFC tags that align with the readers. And, watching the video the tiles have very specific places that the pieces are placed and moved to to trigger the NFC.

I'm curious how well the dice will work. Also, is it a system that'll come with 5 tablets (1 large, and 4 normal) or will it be reliant on the owner having a tablet and the players supplying their own smart phone?

Seems like something that'd work well for an adventure game with clues and hidden information. Zombicide is a boring first implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Smith
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting take on app-interconnected board games, but I do agree with many here that this will undoubtedly have some problems at launch. It will be interesting to see where it could go, however, I still prefer my board games on boards and my video games on video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like, I get that these days everything has to be made digital somehow, but I do wonder whether they don't underestimate how many people play boardgames at least partly because they want to get away from their devices -- or at least how many people find that to be one of the principal pleasures of boardgaming.

I don't want my player board to be a tablet...

(Quite apart from the ridiculous pricepoint this would have; for every single game you want to play with it. It does seem like it's trying to out-do a videogame in a space where pure videogames have obvious advantages.)

Admittedly I don't play the kind of games CMON focuses on (the only game from them I have is their edition of Modern Art, which is absolutely fabulous) and so I'm probably not the target group anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Most innovation fails, but there is plenty of reason to innovate.

The ad makes it almost seem like a bunch of old black plastic computer towers are sitting around the table to play tabletop though. Cut the human element altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
flag msg tools
I honestly don't see the appeal. To me it looks like a pointless gimmick that just makes the game more fiddly as was mentioned earlier.

You still have to move/place/remove all the pieces manually, the rulebook should tell you how to do it so you don't need icons flashing up on some screen.

Speaking of which, why would I want to replace my boardgaming experience of sitting together with a group of friends around a table, interacting on a central board without shiny or noisy distractions, with everyone staring at their phone, tapping this and that without anyone seeing what they're doing, having to constantly switch view from the phone to the board to the tablet, making sure the board and all the pieces are placed correctly for the system to pick them up, hoping the dice will be recognised and waiting for the thing to run its fancy animation and tell me what to do.

"You never played a board game like this" - I hope I never have to.

Rant over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mogensen
Denmark
Silkeborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... so. ... a base with a tag for all counters.

Wonder how much that will cost for a 1600 counter wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
moriarty wrote:

Depends on if it goes the way of Golem Arcana in the bargain bins.

whistle

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really, really wish people would stop trying to inject digital technologies into the board gaming experience. I like playing video games sometimes. I like the opportunity to play some board games solo on my phone or tablet. I absolutely, positively do not need digital content cluttering up my nice, clean, streamlined physical experience, because literally none of the games I enjoy, or have enjoyed over the last 40 years of hobby gaming, would benefit from such complications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Quite apart from the ridiculous pricepoint this would have; for every single game you want to play with it.
The price should only be something you pay once though. The boards, tiles, and pieces all just have cheap chips to identify them. Additionally, it looks like they might be reusing the miniature bases so that they're universal for any games they develop.

Added cost to the game would likely be due to the development of an integrated app. But, if Mansions of Madness 2E or the new Lord of the Rings game is an example of how much more games cost due to apps, then that price is far from "ridiculous".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moriarty wrote:

If you did it yourself by putting stickers on each piece...around $600. But, by that same token, if a game has 1,600 counters to track, I want it to be a video game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
flag msg tools
mutton_chops wrote:
I really, really wish people would stop trying to inject digital technologies into the board gaming experience. I like playing video games sometimes. I like the opportunity to play some board games solo on my phone or tablet. I absolutely, positively do not need digital content cluttering up my nice, clean, streamlined physical experience, because literally none of the games I enjoy, or have enjoyed over the last 40 years of hobby gaming, would benefit from such complications.
I think technology in board gaming can work if done correctly, say a support app for example. Alchemists comes to mind, the app gives you the clues for the logic puzzle so you don't need a dedicated player to do that who can't participate in the rest of the game. I'm sure there's more examples.

But I agree that in most cases it's pointless at best, if not distracting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael Corns
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What do you want to know?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's great technology can be innovated into board games. However, I have a very strong preference for them to be an extra enhancement and not the base requirement to play the game.

Why? For me personally, I really dislike is even the remote possibility of the technology or app no longer being supported. Example: Game was "updated", no longer in production, the company goes under, gets sold/acquired, and so forth...too many possibilities in a fluid market. I have a strong opinion that board games that are not solely based on technology or apps are "future" proof in a sense that you can pick them off the shelf 20+ years from now and still get the same experience.

While I do think this will be largely popular among many people, this will definitely be a solid PASS for me.

I am curious if CMON's KS campaigns will only be geared toward Teburu compatibility and how much the price will increase (considering their stretch goals).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be interesting to see the kickstarter next year and see what price this is going to be. And how well the kickstarter goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Hemisphere
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lest you thought CMON games were expensive enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Rolfe
msg tools
mbmb
Between infinity (chips in bases) and the current progress toward flexible screens the tech is a step backward. Why devote a table, etc when the true logical step is more akin to a rolled game mat?

It isnt time for either, but if we are looking to the future i see no reason for it to look like a pool table.

Flexi multitouch screen and non proprietary usb input for me. To be the future you need to have the costomer at heart, not the company bottom line.

One geeks opinion, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] |