Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Knight
United States
Navarre
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this game up this weekend as a lunch-break game to play with the guys at work. I was looking for something fun that can be played 1-2 times in under an hour. I was not disappointed!

As with most of the Fantasy Flight Games products my group owns, this game is of exceptional quality. We love the textured cards, and the artwork is interesting and adds to the "fun" atmosphere of the game.

There were only 2 of us playing today, and I had read the rules the night before, so it only took about 3-5 minutes skimming back over the rules to explain the play.

My opponent drew the Overseers of Malgon command ship (draw 3 blasts from the discard pile 3x/game) and I drew the Brotherhood of Peace (move a blast from one of my fleets to an enemy fleet 3x/game). When I first read his special ability, I thought "Aw man! He got the *good* command ship", but as it turned out, I was able to use my ability to better effect than he was.

We started by drawing fleets. My fleet started with a gunship, 2 destroyers, and a carrier. He started with 2 destroyers and 2 gunsships. We then filled our starting 5 card hands. I got a fighter a mine field, 2 laser blasts, and a Direct Hit effect.

As a result, I was able to use a fighter and the blasts to take out one of his gunships on his flanks. On his turn, he replaced his gunship and fired at mine. When my turn came back around, I then used my special ability to move the blast back to his own shiny new gunship. I also drew another fighter and a blast or two. With such power, I was able to finish off his 2nd gunship and pour 4 points of damage into the hull of his command ship "Ka-BLOOIE!!".

His turn saw him trading cards for another fleet ship - this time a carrier (oh noes!). Luckily he wasn't able to draw any fighters or bombers for his carrier. He took out my frontal destroyer and place 3 dmg on my 4pt flank gunship. Bad mistake. This allowed me to again transfer 3 dmg - this time to his Carrier.

My draw this time included yet another fighter and a card that let me draw 3 more actions cards which all turned out to blasts and Direct Hits. As a result, my Carrier was able to finish off his carrier with a blast - direct hit - blast combo and I could then send my fighters barrelling back in to finish off his command ship.

All in all, it was a great game that we thoroughly enjoyed and look forward to playing again. Luck is quite a factor, but as long as you understand that going into the game, you shouldn't be disappointed. Also, we can't wait to see how the dynamic of the game changes when you add more people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.