Hide
14 Posts

Piecepack» Forums » General

Subject: Statistics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anika Henke
msg tools
I have gone through the piecepack wiki manually and created a spreadsheet with all the games.

I have not just got all the currently displayed data but have also added new data, cleaned the old data and double checked the rules for accuracy of everything.
The main reason why I've done this is because I wanted it to be easier to search through the games, for example finding all games by a certain designer. And cleaning the data is quite important for that.

Some of the things I've done:
* Designer names are made more consistent. For example, when "Jonathan C. Dietrich" was listed as the designer of some games and "Jonathan Dietrich" as well, I have changed the one that was listed less often to the one that is listed more often.
* When there are more than two designers, their full names are separated by commas. For example, when "Marty and Ron Hale-Evans" were listed as designers, I have listed them as "Marty Hale-Evans, Ron Hale-Evans".
* The player numbers are all listed separately. For example, "2-4" became "2, 3, 4".
* I tried to rename components in other equipment more consistently. For example, stones, coins (pennies, dimes, etc), counters, matches are all now "tokens". There is still work to be done, though.
* I tried to find out which games were direct ports, which were just inspired by other games and which were completely original. As I don't know most of the games yet, this is the potentially most error-prone column.
* I've also added a couple of missing things, like missing links to games on BGG.
* I've added when a game was first published.
* I'm trying to add how many pieces of one piecepack each game uses. That is the only thing which isn't finished yet.

I have already started to feed back some of the inconsistencies I found and plan to fix some of the straightforward things in the wiki.

With this cleanup it's also easier to create statistics...

221 games

There are 221 games in the wiki, 155 of which have their own page on BGG. That's 70.1%.

Top Ten Designers (by quantity)

* 19 games: Mark A. Biggar
* 16 games: Michael Schoessow
* 13 games: Ron Hale-Evans
* 12 games: James Kyle, Ken Leyhe, Phillip Lerche
* 9 games: Clark Rodeffer
* 8 games: Eric Witt, Jorge Arroyo, Stephen Schoessow

Licenses

* 71 games (32.1%): GNU FDL
* 46 games (20.8%): no license
* 35 games (15.8%): custom license
* 26 games (11.8%): CC BY-SA
* 20 games (9.0%): Public Domain
* 12 games (5.4%): CC BY-NC-SA
* 9 games (4.1%): CC BY
* 2 games (0.9%): CC BY-NC-ND

That means

* 175 games (79.2%) can be distributed
* 145 games (65.6%) can be modified
* 134 games (60.6%) can be used commercially
* 22 games (10.0%) can be uncredited

How many games can N people play?

* 1 player: 48
* 2 players: 158
* 3 players: 132
* 4 players: 144
* 5 players: 35
* 6 players: 31
* 7 players: 17
* 8 players: 18
* 9 players: 14
* 10 players: 13
* 10+ players: 11

How original are the games?

* 130 of the games are original
* 60 are based on pre-existing games
* 31 are in between, sort of original but inspired by other games

How many games have been invented over the years?

This is my favourite bit as it sort of shows the piecepack's popularity throughout the years.

* 2000: 3
* 2001: 15
* 2002: 28
* 2003: 54
* 2004: 38
* 2005: 14
* 2006: 19
* 2007: 2
* 2008: 8
* 2009: 11
* 2010: 4
* 2011: 1
* 2012: 0
* 2013: 0
* 2014: 1
* 2015: 1
* 2016: 6
* 2017: 0
* 2018: 12
* 2019: 4

(I have uploaded an image of a graph of this last bit. I suspect it will start showing as soon as it's been through moderation.) It's been approved and is showing now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a lot of work; I hope that many people make good use of it.

I assume the good years are ones with contests.

The formatting of the spreadsheet is a bit of an issue as a lot of the text can only be read by copying the cell contents and pasting them elsewhere. (Try looking at the spreadsheet in an incognito window.) You might want to change the cell formatting so that authors have paragraph formatting, for example. Most of the links in the URL column aren't being recognized as links, making it harder to use that column.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anika Henke
msg tools
mlvanbie wrote:
The formatting of the spreadsheet is a bit of an issue as a lot of the text can only be read by copying the cell contents and pasting them elsewhere. (Try looking at the spreadsheet in an incognito window.)

It looks the same in an incognito window. It was formatted the way I personally prefer it, you can read the content in the formular box (don't know what it's called) when your cursor is in a cell. I guess most people would prefer to read it differently. I have now made most of the text wrap except the ones for links and the licenses.

mlvanbie wrote:
Most of the links in the URL column aren't being recognized as links, making it harder to use that column.

The URL is sort of redundant in the Google Sheets view as it is the same link as in the "game" column. The only reason I have added a specific column for the URL is because when you export the sheet to CSV, the URL won't get exported and it gets lost.
(I don't know why they don't get recognised as links and how to change it. I had extracted most of those URLs programmatically in the beginning.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you saw it, but while I don't have any of the original files to edit (they lived on computers long gone), I now offer any of my piecepack games (other than War & Piecepack, which is owned by Blue Panther, LLC) under CC-BY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anika Henke
msg tools
CDRodeffer wrote:
I don't know if you saw it, but while I don't have any of the original files to edit (they lived on computers long gone), I now offer any of my piecepack games (other than War & Piecepack, which is owned by Blue Panther, LLC) under CC-BY.

Yes, I've been through the wiki a couple of days ago and have updated the license information for all of your games (and Ron's because he also re-licensed/dual-licensed all of his games).

The spreadsheet and statistics already reflect that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anika Henke
msg tools
selfthinker wrote:
The URL is sort of redundant in the Google Sheets view as it is the same link as in the "game" column. The only reason I have added a specific column for the URL is because when you export the sheet to CSV, the URL won't get exported and it gets lost.

I have hidden the url column now. It's only confusing if it's a duplicate. It will still show in a CSV export.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fantastic work. Thank you, Anika.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If its of any use ... I split the time column up so that there is a min and a max column for time - please use/copy if needed:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xCtadh_iW3RWfUblz2ig...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anika Henke
msg tools
gamesbook wrote:
If its of any use ... I split the time column up so that there is a min and a max column for time

Thanks, that is useful.

I have opened the file up to be editable for anyone with the link. I really should have done that from the beginning. If you want you can make those changes yourself now. That would make it clearer in the history who did what. But I can also update things on the weekend if you prefer.

Time is a bit of a weird thing. I wish there was an established short list of time groups (like "short, medium, long" and maybe 1 or 2 more). Time can just never be very accurate anyway.
When was the last time you played a game, then looked at the box and found the time on there realistic? ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anika Henke
msg tools
selfthinker wrote:
CDRodeffer wrote:
I now offer any of my piecepack games [...] under CC-BY.

Yes, I've been through the wiki a couple of days ago and have updated the license information for all of your games [...]

Actually, you offering your games under another license is what triggered me creating the spreadsheet. I started searching "Rodeffer" in the wiki to add license information to your games and found lots more pages than just games and wanted to make that easier.

I already had a spreadsheet with some of the games because I wanted to make notes and add ratings next to them when I play them. (That is still a separate spreadsheet.)
I also wanted to make it easier to find which games I could potentially publish on piecepack.net because their license need to allow modification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you planning to create a statistics page on the wiki itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anika Henke
msg tools
rwhe wrote:
Are you planning to create a statistics page on the wiki itself?

I had planned to do that when I wrote the forum post. But then I thought it would mostly be the same content as in this forum post, and I don't think I can upload any images. So I didn't do it.

I think it still makes sense, though. The wiki page could be updated twice a year or so to reflect any changes.
If you can upload the image, I will create the page on the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to upload pictures to the wiki to display them there. See http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/SandBox for an example (the fish up top).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That said, I'll be happy to upload the image if you still want me to.

The main reason I encourage people to upload images is that links often break. If an image is on the wiki, then as long as the wiki itself is accessible, so is the image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls