Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
46 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Cooperative Gaming for Kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Fisher
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
I absolutely worship Spirit Island, and it is hands down my single favorite game from the last few years.

It is not appropriate for children.

I suspect that different families would vary widely about the appropriateness of the theme. It is inherently about vengeful spirits. While there is nothing gory or overtly demonic, the theme tends towards horror.

The reason it’s not appropriate is that is a very heavy game. I think there’s the assumption that cops are going to be somewhat light, but Spirit Island is a complicated game with a lot of complex interlocking mechanisms. There is also a lot of in-game text, often requiring complex logic to decode. The if-then chains required to play this game can be daunting.

Thanks Josh. That is exactly what I wanted to know.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Fisher
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkroberts wrote:
Octopusmountain wrote:
It's really fun to work together and record your games, open boxes and get exciting things, reveal stickers and new rules etc.
The aforementioned Zombie Kidz Evolution is really great at exactly this and is far cheaper, far simpler, and far less of a time investment (all for better or worse).

Edit: it's also far smaller. And I should mention that while it is appropriate for younger kids the puzzley aspect of it was catnip to adults when I took it on an extended family vacation recently. And individual games are SHORT. It's worth checking out, at least.

Thanks Kirk. I will check it out.

And thanks for your reflection on ALPHA-PLAYERS in coop games. I was not familiar with that term, but it is very suiting.

I had never considered banning solo play in my home (of games that are meant to be played together). But this has been an increasing trend between my two oldest. More often, they take out a game on their own and play around with the components, set up a 4p game and play every character themselves. While I think its OK to 'practice' or explore the game to get a better understanding of it, this is not the practice that I want to foster in my family.

When I repeatedly see my two sons playing two different games solo at the same time and not inviting others, it is rather disheartening.

The other day my 6 year old set up Dice Forge, I smiled and asked to join. He said, "Sorry Papa, I just want to play on my own this time." sobluesobluesoblue

Maybe banning or at least limiting this practice is a good idea.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Izaan wrote:
The other day my 6 year old set up Dice Forge, I smiled and asked to join. He said, "Sorry Papa, I just want to play on my own this time." sobluesobluesoblue
That would be tough to hear. My heart goes out to you.
On the other hand, it sounds like solo board games can be a safe, private place. That's pretty great.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Doolan
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Board Game Basics Podcast please give us a listen. A father and 9 yo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My son enjoys Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle, Flash Point, Tiny Epic Zombies which has many different game modes and Auztralia which is fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
kirkroberts wrote:
Izaan wrote:
The other day my 6 year old set up Dice Forge, I smiled and asked to join. He said, "Sorry Papa, I just want to play on my own this time." sobluesobluesoblue
That would be tough to hear. My heart goes out to you.
On the other hand, it sounds like solo board games can be a safe, private place. That's pretty great.
Already a teenager!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
Izaan wrote:
Maybe banning or at least limiting this practice is a good idea.
No.

It's a phase. They'll get over it. Probably.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Heino
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would also very much recommend against Spirit Island. Even on the simpliest and easiest level that game is a tremendous brain burner, even for adult gamers.
I consider myself a heavy gamer, and the level of thinking required in this game is almost too much for me. Playing one or two spirit solo is maybe ok (but after the game I feel quite exhausted). I haven't had a positive experience playing this with any of my buddies. Every player must know the rules thoroughly, his abilities, other spirits' abilities, other players' cards and their interactions well before I would suggest even trying this.

I have two recommendations for you:

Orléans is an excellent eurogame that your sons would probably enjoy. It is not too complicated and the 'build your own follower bag' -mechanism is exciting for children (and adults too). The bad news is that the co-op play is part of the first expansion, Orléans: Invasion. The co-op play in Invasion is very, very good. The game also has an excellent second expansion Orléans: Trade & Intrigue. It is not needed for co-op but makes the game even more interesting (on the same complexity level) if you also play player vs player.

The other recommendation is Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia. It is a nice dungeon romp with a child-friendly theme and dice, not too complicated. The game has both co-op and competitive modes. If you like it, you could move forward to the bit more involved Arcadia Quest. That is a game from the same developer and is not co-op per se, but it is much fun and some scenarios include co-operative elements. Arcadia Quest is also a nice stepping stone towards Gloomhaven, if you plan to introduce that later.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Fisher
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jaolhe wrote:
I would also very much recommend against Spirit Island. Even on the simpliest and easiest level that game is a tremendous brain burner, even for adult gamers.
I consider myself a heavy gamer, and the level of thinking required in this game is almost too much for me. Playing one or two spirit solo is maybe ok (but after the game I feel quite exhausted). I haven't had a positive experience playing this with any of my buddies. Every player must know the rules thoroughly, his abilities, other spirits' abilities, other players' cards and their interactions well before I would suggest even trying this.

I have two recommendations for you:

Orléans is an excellent eurogame that your sons would probably enjoy. It is not too complicated and the 'build your own follower bag' -mechanism is exciting for children (and adults too). The bad news is that the co-op play is part of the first expansion, Orléans: Invasion. The co-op play in Invasion is very, very good. The game also has an excellent second expansion Orléans: Trade & Intrigue. It is not needed for co-op but makes the game even more interesting (on the same complexity level) if you also play player vs player.

The other recommendation is Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia. It is a nice dungeon romp with a child-friendly theme and dice, not too complicated. The game has both co-op and competitive modes. If you like it, you could move forward to the bit more involved Arcadia Quest. That is a game from the same developer and is not co-op per se, but it is much fun and some scenarios include co-operative elements. Arcadia Quest is also a nice stepping stone towards Gloomhaven, if you plan to introduce that later.

Thanks Jarkko. I appreciate the insight into the complexity of Spirit Island. Thanks also for the recommendations.
Orléans looks really cool. I had wanted to try it for a while, but wasn't sure if it was good for kids (it has a TON of pieces). Now I feel a bit more confident about giving it a shot.

Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia is new to me. I will check that one out too. My kids do like the idea of playing a character and smashing stuff. ^_^
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ng
msg tools
mb
A bit late to thread

This one is a really light game, but lots of fun when I played with my 7 year old son.

Fireball Island: The Curse of Vul-Kar

There's a co-op variant here
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Fisher
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! I totally remember seeing commercials for this game when I was a kid.

Is it possible to find this game?

...Just checked Amazon.

Wow... $70~

...I need to go to some garage sales in my old neighborhood. My childhood friend's mom is probably tossing out the old version of this game.

Thanks Simon. ^_^
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
From the dark depths of the ancient ocean, a kindly cetacean spirit with a penchant for board games and dumb made up bios
badge
I like themes. I like stories. I like plastic. I like brutal co-ops. I am kickstarter's whipping boy. Come game with me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Restoration games reprinted in on Kickstarter last year, so it should be fairly available right now
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Finamore
United States
Wayne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flick 'em Up!: Dead of Winter - Co-op dexterity game

+1 Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters
+1 Stuffed Fables
+1 Forbidden Island (or desert)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Clark
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
, Luke
badge
A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A little late to the party, but I wanted to chip in that my 6 and 8 year old enjoy Samurai Spirit. Something about the theme really grabs them.

They LOVE Sentinels of the Multiverse and ask to play it all the time, which has been in my top 10 for a long while, but there is too much reading for the 6 year old, and I end up having to walk around a lot to supervise his playing. I think they love the pictures and the theme. My 8 year old can play it without problems.

+1 Flip Ships.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Fisher
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nathaniel.

Samurai Spirit looks like a good one. I remember wanting to give it a shot when I first read about it but I sadly havent yet... OH! Its only $24 on Amazon! Hmmmm....

Sentinels is another game I have always wanted to give a try, but my experience will probably be like yours. My 8 year old can handle the reading, but my 6 year old will need constant help.

We got a copy of Star Wars Outer Rim the other week (my kids love SW even though they have only ever seen the Lego Star Wars stuff). They get the mechanics and can even make some value choices, but I really have to help my second son read through all the cards in the Market each round (He already memorized the board so I dont need to tell him which planets are which).

Anyway. Thanks for the ideas. I will add Samurai Spirit to our list of games to try out together.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+ to these two, already mentioned by others.

Forbidden Island - Easy to play and the gathering of fun artifacts works for most kids I have played with. However, you may have to remind them that they are working together when the 8 year old gets the shiny red crystal and the 6 year old wanted that one. I know its the best treasure, but it is a coop game...


Flash Point: Fire Rescue - This is a fun game that has a theme that grips most kids. The different firefighters are really key as well, but that might mean that you have certain things you get stuck doing because you "Need someone who can carry people out of the building." That said, it can be a lot of fun splitting the work, and your youngest could probably do well on driving the fire truck.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
See Mice and Mystics
Houserules to make the game simpler, faster, funnier, and "epic-er" when playing with kids
I really wish I'd had it with kids the age of yours. Dungeoncrawl boardgame simpler than Gloomhaven.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Chronnox wrote:
A little late to the party, but I wanted to chip in that my 6 and 8 year old enjoy Samurai Spirit. Something about the theme really grabs them.

I bought this game without any research, based entirely on theme and the designer. I've regretted it ever since. It's a boring math game that doesn't feel anything like a desperate fight to save a village. I'm hugely disappointed and hoping to re-design the game to make it into what I want.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Fisher
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nukesniper wrote:
Flash Point: Fire Rescue - This is a fun game that has a theme that grips most kids. The different firefighters are really key as well, but that might mean that you have certain things you get stuck doing because you "Need someone who can carry people out of the building." That said, it can be a lot of fun splitting the work, and your youngest could probably do well on driving the fire truck.

Given the number of people who have mentioned this game. I definitely need to find myself a copy. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a list about coop games to play with kids

I have not played but heard that Horrified is cool, and from what I've seen it played it looks like a must-buy for me. When my kid saw the game he immediately asked if we can buy it ^_^

Another suggestion: Batman: The Animated Series – Gotham City Under Siege --- this one has quite a lot of stuff going on, so I recommend checking a review or gameplay video. It's "dice allocation" game, and not perhaps strongest in theme but at least my kid likes it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Fisher
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Themob!

Your link has a lot of games that people mentioned here and some new ones. It’s also cool to see them ranked by a kid.

I am curious how old the child who did the ranking is.

Thanks for sharing!laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Any other games? Towards Space n fantasy theme but yet not too difficult for a 8 yr old kid if possible enable for my Wife to join in too
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |